• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Mlb 2016

Joltik-Kid

Careful? Where's the fun in that?
Since the last thread seemingly died and/or people were just not fascinated with Spring Training, Baseball is back and kicking... Here's to a new season

Open discussion about America's Past Time as well as games happening around the league.

PLAY BALL!!!

Hunter Zolomon

Into the Shadows
Staff member
The Tigers are 2-0 so far. Hopefully this will be a good baseball season for Detroit. Last season was a disappointment....

Ilikepiex7

So far the big story of the early season is Trevor Story 4 home runs in his first 3 major league games and he plays for the Rookies so expect a lot of home runs from that guy

Jersey Jimmy

¿dónde está el FOUR DOLLA TUBA?
Honestly, I can really only see another Mets/Cubs NLCS. The Pirates might make a run at it, yeah, but that's the only one that sounds plausible to me.

Joltik-Kid

Interesting Story's for me include:

1. Dodgers historic shutout starts

2. Story's 4 HR's in first 3 games of his career

3. Victor Martinez Homering from both sides of the plate in a Pinch Hitting Role back to back nights

Ilikepiex7

Story home run in each of his first 4 major league games now wow

edit: He is at 6 home runs now amazing

edit 2: Dodger starter goes 7 1/3 innings without giving up a hit and then bullpen comes in and gives up a home run so he has his run given up before he gave he got his hit given up thanks bullpen lol

Last edited:

Pokegirl Fan~

Liko>>>>>Ash
Wow at that come from behind win that the Cubs just pulled against the Reds after being no hit until the 7th inning. Addison Russell hits the game winning 3 run home run in the 8th.

Joltik-Kid

Must suck to be a Twins fan, no one has ever made the post season starting 0-7 for the season and I don't see any reason to think they can be the first team to change that when their pitching staff didn't change one bit from last season.

On another note, maybe the Tigers should fool Verlander into thinking it's May, because his April starts sure are brutal. Credit to the Pirates though, they're still a pretty damn good team

Hunter Zolomon

Into the Shadows
Staff member
The Detroit Tigers lost a legend tonight. Broadcaster Paul Carey passed away at age 88. I always remember hearing my great-grandfather talk about Paul Carey. My great-grandfather was a big time Tigers fan. Unfortunately my great-grandfather passed away last year....

The Tigers beat the Pirates 8-2. The Pirates are a tough team. I was very impressed with Justin Upton.

Hunter Zolomon

Into the Shadows
Staff member
The Cubs are off to a 10-3 start. Wow, that's incredible for them! I'm a Tigers fan all the way, but I was pulling for the Cubs to win it all in the playoffs. I wouldn't be shocked to see the Cubs make another run.

Caused

I'm cheering against the Cubs... Why? Well, I am a Rays fan.

As for the Rays, we decide we can finally start Pitching well as soon as are Batting sharply declines early in the year. Just gotta beat the Red Sox with Archer on the mound and we're back at .500, I suppose.

Caused

Story checks out. Natural rivals and all that.

Nah, it's because of Joe Maddon. The first chance he got, he booked on us. The only way I'd want to see the Cubs in the WS is for us to play them, and for us to, of course, win... or for them to get blown out on National TV by some other team.

BCVM22

Perhaps instead of blaming the Cubs, be angrier at:

• Your fans for not showing up
  • Your city for stifling efforts to build a new ballpark
  • Your team for being unwilling/unable to support Maddon with resources
  • Your general manager for departing to a very wealthy team when the opportunity arose

Not for nothing, but that last part is what allowed Maddon to leave in the first place.

Seems to me your ire is vastly misplaced.

Caused

Perhaps instead of blaming the Cubs, be angrier at:

• Your fans for not showing up
  • Your city for stifling efforts to build a new ballpark
  • Your team for being unwilling/unable to support Maddon with resources
  • Your general manager for departing to a very wealthy team when the opportunity arose

Not for nothing, but that last part is what allowed Maddon to leave in the first place.

I whole heartedly disagree with all of this.

The Stadium search, and fans "not showing up" doesn't affect what the Manager has to worry about... and the second situation has improved greatly this year.

The later two are just off. This team might be built on an air tight budget, but the new GM Matt Silverman has a good job finding talent. We've aquired players like Stephen Souza, Erasmo Ramirez and Corey Dickerson for peanuts, and players that debuted in Maddon's last season in Kiermaier and Forsythe have also played at a high level. We're still a team with playoff level talent, and he left the organization because he has no loyalty. He didn't even give the Rays a chance to match any offer.

BCVM22

The Stadium search, and fans "not showing up" doesn't affect what the Manager has to worry about...

I didn't say they were his problem. I did say they affect the environment in which he's working. In a complete vacuum, you get to go to work at Wrigley Field for 81 days each season, or you get to go to the Trop.

The later two are just off. This team might be built on an air tight budget, but the new GM Matt Silverman has a good job finding talent. We've aquired players like Stephen Souza, Erasmo Ramirez and Corey Dickerson for peanuts

Of those three, Souza is the only one to write home about, really. Ramirez is "just a guy" and Dickerson was a Coors Field product. And that doesn't change the fact that they were acquired after Maddon's tenure, which sort of makes them irrelevant to the discussion.

Kiermaier and Forsythe have also played at a high level

Kiermaier's glove is very good and will carry him for many years, enough so to make up for the bat deficiencies - an OPS+ of 97 last season puts him just under league average, offensively, so that high WAR is almost entirely from his defense. Forsythe is good but not great, though being a middle infielder helps the bat play up considerably.

We're still a team with playoff level talent

The Rays were second-to-last in the AL in runs scored last season and they are last in the AL in runs scored this season, though we are just over two weeks in. That is not a "playoff level" offense.

he left the organization because he has no loyalty. He didn't even give the Rays a chance to match any offer.

That's a false narrative that ignores all the aforementioned issues. He left because the Cubs offered him more money, a better front office, a considerably larger payroll and a stronger roster and farm system, among other things. Are you telling me you wouldn't take an upgrade of that magnitude if you were "unemployed" or "a free agent" or whatever you want to call it - that is, in a position to take any job you wanted, as Maddon was after opting out, an option that only manifested because Friedman left (where's the ire towards him?).

I don't mean to make this a total indictment of the situation he left behind, but he had the chance to take a position that was a considerable upgrade, free and clear, and did so. Not only would you do the same in that situation, but painting Maddon as some sort of traitor and the Cubs as the big bad entity who enabled him willfully ignores why he left in the first place.