• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Mlb 2016

Pikachu Fan Number Nine

Don't Mess wit Texas
With the Native American mascot controversy ongoing, I have come up with nickname solutions for the two teams in MLB with this kind of name.

In Atlanta, the Braves ownership can purchase the rights to the name and logos of the former Atlanta Thrashers NHL team. They can adopt the nickname, and also the logo and colors verbatim, while modifying the hockey stick of the original Thrashers logo to a baseball bat. This would allow all three major Atlanta teams to be named after birds (Hawks and Falcons).

In Cleveland, I am proposing the Indians themselves purchase the rights to the name of the a defunct hockey team as well - the Cleveland Barons, used by multiple AHL teams and one NHL team over the years. The team can add orange from the Browns and gold from the Cavs to their long-standing colors of navy blue, red (which is modified to wine red, also used by the Cavs) and white.

Resurrecting nicknames from another sport is not without precedent - the NBA's New Orleans Pelicans share their nickname with several baseball teams that formerly played in the city.

Last edited:

BCVM22

The Braves might (and maybe should?) give up the Native American aspects of their brand, but they'd never ditch the team name. They're not a very good team right now and moving to a new, distant and poorly planned stadium is going to alienate half their fanbase. The team name is essentially all they have in the present.

I can't imagine any benefit to adopting the name and logo of an NHL team that ended up relocating - that's like voluntarily adopting pariah status. If "Braves" were to no longer become viable, they'd just as soon invent an entirely new identity and build with that than to try and court whatever tiny built-in recognition would come with the Thrashers name.

I do agree there are plenty of defunct team names in Cleveland's sports past they could feasibly adopt. I'm partial to Cleveland Spiders myself, though I'm sure that whatever branding agency was handed the task would tell them that "Spiders" is an offputting name.

Last edited:

ThePokemonmaster11

The Braves might (and maybe should?) give up the Native American aspects of their brand, but they'd never ditch the team name. They're not a very good team right now and moving to a new, distant and poorly planned stadium is going to alienate half their fanbase. The team name is essentially all they have in the present.

I can't imagine any benefit to adopting the name and logo of an NHL team that ended up relocating - that's like voluntarily adopting pariah status. If "Braves" were to no longer become viable, they'd just as soon invent an entirely new identity and build with that than to try and court whatever tiny built-in recognition would come with the Thrashers name.

I do agree there are plenty of defunct team names in Cleveland's sports past they could feasibly adopt. I'm partial to Cleveland Spiders myself, though I'm sure that whatever branding agency was handed the task would tell them that "Spiders" is an offputting name.

There's a lot of jokes you can make with Cleveland being called the Spiders. Spiders get squashed, Spiders get flattened, Spidersget trampled, Spiders snag (fill in player name here), ect.

Daniel31

HopingGaryReturns
Well, was glad to see my O's re-signing Trumbo, Britton also. Also was great seeing Pudge getting into the HOF too. :)

Some sad news though, RIP Yordano Ventura and Andy Marte.

Genos

The Indigo Disk
Dodgers send DeLeon for Ray's Forsythe. I hope DeLeon thrives in Tampa, I'll miss him.

Serves the Twins right for acting greedy in our trade talks. I heard Forsythe was good, so this trade is alright.

I'm glad this 2B problem is now closed. Now heading to spring training!

Clockwerk

Golden Knights Fan
Dodgers send DeLeon for Ray's Forsythe. I hope DeLeon thrives in Tampa, I'll miss him.

Serves the Twins right for acting greedy in our trade talks. I heard Forsythe was good, so this trade is alright.

I'm glad this 2B problem is now closed. Now heading to spring training!

Forsythe is a good grab. Rays can't seem to hold onto good players. Remember how good they were in 2012 when they had that pitching staff of Price, Shields, and Garza? Amazing how fast they went down hill.