• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Mlb 2016

Caused

Okay, it's pretty apparent you don't know anything about the Rays, so I'll close this discussion...

The Rays were a team that was 7th in the AL in BA, and 8th in HRs, and 5th in stolen bases. The Rays had a rookie manager, and numerous injuries that helped contribute to bad run production, something a certain Joe Maddon is famous for maximizing in his units. You can't say anything about the team after only 13 games, that's much to small a sample size.

You downplay guys like Erasmo Ramirez, who has a sub 3 ERA since becoming a starter on April 25, 2015, Corey Dickerson, who's already hit 4 Home runs this year (small sample size yes, but even his statistics are above average on the road, beside a dip in BA) and Logan Forsythe, who's been a sabremetric warrior. The Rays might not have the World's deepest Farm, but it's still ever since the Cubs brought up Kris Bryant, I haven't seen anyone gushing over their Farm. In fact, Baseball America ranks the Rays (#13) higher than the Cubs (#20.)

If he wanted to go to a highly respected organization, I know the Twins and Rangers were looking for managers, and I know the Dodgers and Nats had Don Mattingly and Matt Williams on very short leases. Instead, he went to a team that hadn't won a playoff game since 2003, and have been noted as being fairly dysfunctional.

BCVM22

Okay, it's pretty apparent you don't know anything about the Rays

Not even remotely true, but even if it were, that wouldn't preclude me from reading a stat sheet.

The Rays were a team that was 7th in the AL in BA, and 8th in HRs, and 5th in stolen bases.

And yet they were still second-to-last in runs scored. Perhaps unsurprisingly, the first two of those three stats were below league average.

something a certain Joe Maddon is famous for maximizing in his units.

Well sure. He wasn't in high demand because he's a bad manager.

You can't say anything about the team after only 13 games, that's much to small a sample size.

I did say it is very early, but it's still a troubling trend.

but it's still ever since the Cubs brought up Kris Bryant, I haven't seen anyone gushing over their Farm.

That could be because they graduated their top talent to the majors last season.

In fact, Baseball America ranks the Rays (#13) higher than the Cubs (#20.)

And they were the outliers. Keith Law has them 4th (also probably an outlier) and the other resources had them somewhere in the middle, which is probably closer to the truth.

If he wanted to go to a highly respected organization

The notion that the Cubs are not "highly respected" is laughable, but continue.

the Twins

Bad team.

Banister had already been named their manager when Joe opted out.

Instead, he went to a team that hadn't won a playoff game since 2003

And they won 97 games plus another four in the playoffs. Seems to have worked out pretty well for both sides.

have been noted as being fairly dysfunctional.

By whom? No one calls them that.

Again, this isn't an indictment of the situation Joe left, as much as you've attempted to turn it into one. For their strengths, and they do have them, the Rays are a team with tremendous difficulty attracting and keeping free agents and a low payroll and a scruffy stadium to go with that. You can be a fan of your team and still be objective about all of that, without trying to paint other parties as the villains while saying "sure but you know who REALLY has problems? That team he went to where he found a ton of success!" If you're completely unwilling to admit the unattractiveness of parts of Tampa's situation and why someone might want to leave, I can do little else here.

Pokegirl Fan~

Liko>>>>>Ash
Wow so many fans of other teams really seem threatened by the Cubs with this as well as some Cardinals fans still whining over losing Jason Heyward to the Cubs. Its encouraging to see lol.

Caused

Funny, not even 24 hours after how we want to say how much this player and that player are just products of their environment, or aren't worth the trouble, and how the Rays can't score... we get a banner win in Boston. In which, Forsythe got 3 hits and 2 walks, Souza batted in 2, KK scored twice along with his usual defense, Dickerson hit a clutch double to seal it, and Erasmo Ramirez continues his near dominant stretch to get his 4th win of the season.

So much worse than those Perennial Contenders in the Cubs, huh? They're such a great organization, they didn't even need Maddon, huh?

yuoke

Treasure huntin'
Cubs are on fire right now. Im a white sox fan, but I cant deny that the cubs are probably the favorites now.

Caused

Corey "Coors Field Product" Dickerson is hitting .259 with 5 HRs (3 at Pitcher friendly parks) through 18 games, which would average out to 45 HRs. I really don't expect him to match that pace, but 25 to 33 HRs is certainly enough. Also should see his average go up into the .260s or .270s once we finally get this lineup gelled together.

LoMo needs to be DFCed, Pearce will be a fine enough 1B.

Last edited:

Pikachu Fan Number Nine

Don't Mess wit Texas
The Yankees are off to a bad start. This wouldn't be the case if Mattingly were manager. Mattingly is stunting his own growth as a manager by being with the Marlins. Hopefully soon the Mets will start a free fall. I want to see them break their own record for most losses in a modern day MLB regular season.

BCVM22

The Yankees are off to a bad start. This wouldn't be the case if Mattingly were manager.

Sure it would. Mattingly is not a wizard. He can't take a roster with aging offensive players like New York's and magically make it better. Neither can Girardi. But he'll unfairly be the sacrificial lamb if they don't turn it around, next year if not this year, because you can't fire the players.

Mattingly is stunting his own growth as a manager by being with the Marlins.

Probably. But he wanted to manage, no longer wanted to do so in LA, and the Marlins wanted a "name" manager. Good news is the nature of ownership means it probably isn't a long term job, and until then, he gets to manage players like Stanton, Fernandez and Gordon.

Caused

I mean, Mattingly is probably as good a Manager as he will ever be, I don't think there's much "growth" left.

BCVM22

The MLB website comments are like any other comments section but with the ill-conceived laser focus of uninformed, overreactive sports fans. I can't read more than three posts without my teeth hurting.

Genos

The Indigo Disk
ESPN's pre-facebook boards were the worst as well. Spam, spam everywhere.

Anyway good Dodgers win. Funny how I took a nap when they were down by 3. Then woke up to see they won by 2.

Pokegirl Fan~

Liko>>>>>Ash
The MLB website comments are like any other comments section but with the ill-conceived laser focus of uninformed, overreactive sports fans. I can't read more than three posts without my teeth hurting.

You think that's bad, there's a Twitter account for Cardinal fans that are still salty over the Cardinals losing Jason Heyward to the Cubs.

BCVM22

I'm fully aware of the reaction certain Cardinals fans had to Heyward leaving for the Cubs via high priced free agency. It ranged - still ranges - from merely salty to downright vile, on some occasions.

Hunter Zolomon

Into the Shadows
Staff member
I'm glad I stay off sports message boards these days. Reading ignorant comments on ESPN's Facebook page is bad enough....

yuoke

Treasure huntin'
Cubs are on fire right now. Im a white sox fan, but I cant deny that the cubs are probably the favorites now.

Looks like I spoke too soon, my sox are looking better and better. Sale, Latos, and Quintana are three aces and offense is starting to pick it up. It's going to be a great race with KC.