• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Mlb 2016

Pikachu Fan Number Nine

Don't Mess wit Texas
I just feel that if the Yankees retain Girardi one more season they will have a losing record next year - something that hasn't happened since the 4-division era.

As a Tigers fan I would love for the Tigers to have Joe Girardi as manager.

I guarantee you that if Girardi becomes Detroit's manager you will not like him.

Last edited:

Daniel31

HopingGaryReturns
The last stat a closer should want more of is wins. A closer getting the W usually means he blew the save and his team scored for him in the next half inning.
That is very true, but a closer can come in the 9th or extra innings when the score is already tied and get the win...that's about it though lol. 45 min until the O's/Jays game, can't wait!

Genos

TTYD
Blue Jays won with a 3 HR walk off to send the O's home! Sorry Daniel31.

I bet the Rangers must be thrilled having to play them again.

I hope Mets beat the Giants tomorrow. Might not happen but I still believe.

BCVM22

Not using Britton in that game is an all-time horrible managerial decision by Showalter. He got away with it in the 9th only by the sheer grace.

Daniel31

HopingGaryReturns
Not using Britton in that game is an all-time horrible managerial decision by Showalter. He got away with it in the 9th only by the sheer grace.
Agreed. I understand that he was waiting for the O's to get a lead, but your season is on the line! Your best pitcher sitting in the bullpen is dumb! I said it at least twice in the 9th and 11th, where the hell is Zach!?

Ubaldo Jimenez really...hope they release him, what a waste of $$. The guy was good the last month, but he's been garbage ever since they signed him.

Last edited:

Pikachu Fan Number Nine

Don't Mess wit Texas
Just read that Girardi will stay for one more year at least. I guarantee you that will result in a losing season unless he is fired mid-season.

Daniel31

HopingGaryReturns
Ahh...the day after your season is over. Still wondering where Zach Britton and the Orioles hitting was. Hope they sign Trumbo in the off-season and get some SP help.

Anyway, really enjoyed the pitcher's dual between Bumgarner and Syndergaard. Another exciting game!

Pikachu Fan Number Nine

Don't Mess wit Texas
I can think of one more manager in recent years whose fortunes turned after a postseason series loss to Detroit.

A's manager Bob Melvin.

The A's actually fell in consecutive ALDS game 5's to the Tigers, worse yet both at home. At the time I thought the second time was enough to get Melvin fired, especially given the A's previously had a 2 games to 1 lead. Melvin was retained, a decision the A's would come to regret. They regressed from 96 wins to 88 in 2014, and could only manage the second wild card berth that year. They lost to Kansas City in the wild card game. They regressed even further in 2015, finishing with only 68 wins and in last place. Though they improved to 69 this year, they still finished last. You think Melvin would be fired now.

Just goes to show you, you do NOT want to lose to the Tigers in the postseason. Your fortunes as a manager will turn on such a series loss. Joe Girardi and Bob Melvin have learned that the hard way.

If Melvin does get fired, I would like to see former A's star Rickey Henderson try his hand at managing. He stole more bases in his first 13 seasons than Lou Brock did his whole career - and Henderson didn't stop stealing bases until his career was over.

BCVM22

Just goes to show you, you do NOT want to lose to the Tigers in the postseason. Your fortunes as a manager will turn on such a series loss. Joe Girardi and Bob Melvin have learned that the hard way.

Bob Melvin is a middling manager at best. He's archaic, he's boring and AT BEST he knows that he is all of these things and knows when to stay out of the way. He's Ned Yost minus the improbable pennant and title. The A's have him because his salary demands are cheap, because they know it's their roster that's the issue rather than him, and because they know no one else would want that job right now.

To claim that he was some sort of genius manager who ran afoul of one of your oddly Tigers-related superstitions is a tissue-thin argument.

I would like to see former A's star Rickey Henderson try his hand at managing. He stole more bases in his first 13 seasons than Lou Brock did his whole career - and Henderson didn't stop stealing bases until his career was over.

And even more so. If there's one thing managers like Robin Ventura, Mike Matheny and Brad Ausmus teach us, it's that a successful career as a player does not automatically qualify you as a major league manager. That there are teams thinking in your way of "this guy was a good player, let's hire him as manager for some good will and hope for the best" is a lead weight around their ankle, not a positive.

Last edited:

Genos

TTYD
Blue Jays lead 2-0 against the Rangers. As well for the Indians (2-0) against the Red Sox. Talk about surprise from Texas and Boston.

Dodgers won game 1! Kershaw struggled but the bullpen was solid.

EDIT: Cubs won! It was a pitcher duel but Baez sealed the win.

Last edited:

Pikachu Fan Number Nine

Don't Mess wit Texas
Indians finally get revenge for 1999 and 2007. Toronto awaits them.

Daniel31

HopingGaryReturns
This post-season is definitely not turning out like people thought lol. Jays vs Indians in the AL and it looks like Cubs in the NL. Nats/Dodgers still a toss-up though. Wonder if the Dodgers will use Kershaw on 4 days rest or go with Urias.

Enjolras

Master of the House
Was I the only one rooting for the Giants? Ah, well, we've been spoiled the past 6 years anyways. Congrats to the Cubs, helluva 9th inning. Helluva season, really.