• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Mlb 2017

Joltik-Kid

Careful? Where's the fun in that?
As is tradition, welcome to the 2017 Baseball thread.

Happy Opening Day fans!!! Who will be victorious?

Daniel31

HopingGaryReturns
Hey! I was wondering about the 2017 MLB thread. :)

Well, off the the top of my head, it looks like it could be repeat of last season. Cubs vs Indians in the WS (I like the addition of Edwin Encarnacion to the Indians a lot and they have Michael Brantley coming back).

In the AL, if the Red Sox can get into the playoffs and their SP is healthy (David Price is hurt right now), I definitely wouldn't want to face that 3-headed monster they have in their rotation (Sale, Price, Porcello). I know Ortiz isn't there anymore, but Mitch Moreland isn't a terrible replacement, plus they still have guys like Mookie Betts, Xander Bogaerts, Pedroia, Andrew Benintendi could emerge into a solid player, etc...The Astros are obviously another team that could make it to WS, with all the young core of talent they have there, plus the addition of decent veterans. The Nationals and Dodgers in the NL are obvious choices as well (I'm wondering how Trea Turner from the Nationals will do in a full-season).

I'll still be rooting for my Orioles as always though and as expected, nobody isn't expecting them to do much of anything, just like last season, but hey...they did make it to the playoffs last year. ;) I'll sure miss Matt Wieters though, that guy when healthy, was an awesome defensive catcher. The Orioles still have a lot of power on offense, solid bullpen, but...SP is always the problem with them. >_>

Edit: Yankees lost their opening game, haha! :p

Last edited:

Daniel31

HopingGaryReturns
Ahh...Yankees had a decent lead last night, today, and they blew both games...so sad hehe. It's definitely a fun start to the season for my Orioles! :D

BCVM22

So the Royals 2015 run looks mighty flukey given how poor they've been in 2016 and even worst right now in 2017

If someone told you your favorite team would would win the World Series, but that it wouldn't be sustainable, that the core players were... decent? at best?, that most of them would leave via trade or free agency within two seasons, that you would have to give up decent prospects to do it, and that you'd potentially be facing multiple subsequent seasons of missing the playoffs after, would you do it?

I think the Royals would and I think'd they'd do it all over again. I don't know if I personally agree with that as a philosophy, but I understand it. Flags fly forever.

Daniel31

HopingGaryReturns
Well, I would like to say, that the AL East has been off to a strange start so far. I thought the Red Sox would have the Yankees current record and Red Sox would have theirs (be in the first). I'm also surprised by the Blue Jays horrific start to the season and the same can be said for the Texas Rangers too. The Giants can be can considered for that as well, but hey, that's what happens when your Ace gets himself into an accident riding a dirtbike, among other things as well.

As for my Orioles, I'm real happy with their start. I'm glad the O's are leaving Boston for now and winning tonight, because I was pretty upset during last night's game. Gausman getting ejected last night was a joke, and that umpire (Sam Holbrook) looked like a total idiot. Yeah, Gausman intended to hit Bogaerts with a 77-mph curveball, when the dude can throw 97-98, give me a break man...

Ilikepiex7

They're not even playing good ball right now; I wish there was another way of selecting all stars without popularity getting in the way.

Well at least currently they are only leading in 3/8 positions First base, Third Base, and Outfield 3 but they are in second in all other infield spots and fourth and Fifth with their other outfielders

BCVM22

They're not even playing good ball right now; I wish there was another way of selecting all stars without popularity getting in the way.

It's a popularity contest. Always. It's never about talent. Ever. And now that the ASG no longer foolishly determines World Series home field, it's perfectly okay. It's not something worth getting worked up about, and voting is open to everyone - if you don't like the current voting, vote for your guys more.

Genos

The Indigo Disk
Dodgers are in 1st place in the NL west since the opening series.

Took a while to get back.

PsychicPsycho

If someone told you your favorite team would would win the World Series, but that it wouldn't be sustainable, that the core players were... decent? at best?, that most of them would leave via trade or free agency within two seasons, that you would have to give up decent prospects to do it, and that you'd potentially be facing multiple subsequent seasons of missing the playoffs after, would you do it?

I think the Royals would and I think'd they'd do it all over again. I don't know if I personally agree with that as a philosophy, but I understand it. Flags fly forever.
As a Royals fan, I'm going through this right now. It's hard to see some of the guys that were involved performing as they are and some being traded away. Nearly any time I listen to sports radio they're talking about why (blank player) isn't performing (usually Alex Gordon) and should they just trade everything and and blow it all up. I'm a sentimental person so I hate to think anyone will leave, but realistically I know someone will.

The World Series win is still weird for me. It like it seems so unbelievable that my hometown team would win that I legitimately forget that it actually happened, like I have to convince myself it wasn't in a dream.

As for your statement, it hard to me to say. Like right now if you gave me two options, being

1. The Royals will win the world series this year, but all the main players will be leave or be traded after the season
2. The main players for the Royals will stay royals for the rest of their careers, but you're guaranteed no success

I'm not sure what I would want. I feel like I'd be nuts not to take the guaranteed success but I'd miss seeing all the players I've come to love watching. I guess...I guess I'd take the world series this year. Eventually everyone will retire, whether they stay with the Royals or not, but like you said, the world series win would stay forever.

BCVM22

Nearly any time I listen to sports radio--

I can only recommend you never do this. Quit it cold turkey and don't look back. You'll suffer withdrawal symptoms for a week and that'll be it. Like cutting unhealthy foods out of your diet, you'll feel so much better unencumbered by jabbering dimwits shouting meatball sports opinions directly into your ear.

I'm a sentimental person so I hate to think anyone will leave, but realistically I know someone will.

Moustakas, Hosmer, Cain are all free agents after this season and they're all likely gone, so yes.

1. The Royals will win the world series this year, but all the main players will be leave or be traded after the season
2. The main players for the Royals will stay royals for the rest of their careers, but you're guaranteed no success

I'm not sure what I would want. I feel like I'd be nuts not to take the guaranteed success but I'd miss seeing all the players I've come to love watching. I guess...I guess I'd take the world series this year. Eventually everyone will retire, whether they stay with the Royals or not, but like you said, the world series win would stay forever.

And that's the rub, that there is no guaranteed success. All a front office can do is put themselves in what they feel is the best position to succeed, in a given season and going forward. What the Royals did usually doesn't work out, which is to empty the upper levels of the farm system to augment a good but not great team with short-term rentals. That approach misses more often than it hits. But it ended up working out for them, which retroactively props up the somewhat flawed process. As we said, flags fly forever, even if the process to get there wasn't perfectly sound.