• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

MLB Baseball Thread

TrollFreak

Pit is Awesome :P
Going to say TB won that trade, just because of them gaining Wil Myers and other prospects, while still having Price, Helickson, and others in that rotation.

KC's Rotation

1- Shields
2- Guthrie / Santana / Chen / Davis
3- Guthrie / Santana / Chen / Davis
4- Guthrie / Santana / Chen / Davis
5- Guthrie / Santana / Chen / Davis

Still shaky if you ask me, and the Royals could have used Myers in RF over Francoeur, who had a -WAR last season.

I'm just saying, but unless these prospects become MAJOR busts, TB won hands down, esp since the major piece of this trade is hitting his age 31 season next year.

TheWatersGreatGuardian

Legendary Trainer
Going to say TB won that trade, just because of them gaining Wil Myers and other prospects, while still having Price, Helickson, and others in that rotation.

KC's Rotation

1- Shields
2- Guthrie / Santana / Chen / Davis
3- Guthrie / Santana / Chen / Davis
4- Guthrie / Santana / Chen / Davis
5- Guthrie / Santana / Chen / Davis

Still shaky if you ask me, and the Royals could have used Myers in RF over Francoeur, who had a -WAR last season.

I'm just saying, but unless these prospects become MAJOR busts, TB won hands down, esp since the major piece of this trade is hitting his age 31 season next year.
and I believe only under team control for 2 years.

sceptile33

That ruined my day. And before BCVM or Rebecca come here to attempt to ridicule me, I know that Tampa Bay did the right thing. Still, Shields was my favorite player, and I will be very sad to see him play in another uniform. Best wishes to him in Kansas City.

PsychicPsycho

They should be ready to riot over this. Not literally, of course, but this was not a good trade for Kansas City.
I'm not really one to judge how good or bad a trade is. However, I can't say I'm surprised- I've come to view the higher-ups for KC as pretty inept, so I'm not surprised if the trade sucks.

TheWatersGreatGuardian

Legendary Trainer
That ruined my day. And before BCVM or Rebecca come here to attempt to ridicule me, I know that Tampa Bay did the right thing. Still, Shields was my favorite player, and I will be very sad to see him play in another uniform. Best wishes to him in Kansas City.

It ruined my day too, until I really took a good look at the guys we got. Myers will be a fixture in our lineup behind Longo if he pans out.

Joltik-Kid

Careful? Where's the fun in that?
I wonder if it was smart of the Dodger's to offer Zack Greinke that much money... I know he's a well to do pitcher, but he's not the best. A career 3.77 ERA is good, but I don't think it's worth $147 mil

BCVM22

I wonder if it was smart of the Dodger's to offer Zack Greinke that much money... I know he's a well to do pitcher, but he's not the best. A career 3.77 ERA is good, but I don't think it's worth $147 mil

You can say this about every big free agent contract ever. It's not exclusive to what the Dodgers just gave Greinke.

More importantly, though, Greinke has an opt-out clause after three seasons. If - if - Greinke pitches up to that contract, he will likely exercise that clause and return to the open market, potentially divesting the Dodgers of their obligations beyond that. It is not at all outside the realm of possibility that the Dodgers will only have to pay Greinke those three years and then some other team can offer him even more money.

Last edited:

Joltik-Kid

You can say this about every big free agent contract ever. It's not exclusive to what the Dodgers just gave Greinke.

More importantly, though, Greinke has an opt-out clause after three seasons. If - if - Greinke pitches up to that contract, he will likely exercise that clause and return to the open market, potentially divesting the Dodgers of their obligations beyond that. It is not at all outside the realm of possibility that the Dodgers will only have to pay Greinke those three years and then some other team can offer him even more money.
Well that's true and yes I did know about that... it's just I figured that Dodger's would have learned that big spending doesn't ensure a spot in the Playoffs and more importantly the World Series. Especially because of technically now last season... (where they spent a ton and didn't even make the wild card)

Golden_Latias

#SlayQueenSlay
Wait, I've been so busy with school and whatnot that I haven't been keeping up with baseball news.

KC got Shields?

Golden_Latias

#SlayQueenSlay
Wow, he was a steal for them. They could seriously contend for the AL Central (though I still say the Tigers will win it in 2013).

BCVM22

Wow, he was a steal for them.

Uh. No. They gave up their top prospect in Wil Myers and a pretty good pitching prospect in Odorizzi, plus a few other pieces. The Rays came out ahead in this trade. One can debate the margin by which they came out ahead, but trading Shields and Davis clears $11-12 million from their 2013 payroll and gives them a middle of the order hitter who will be under team control for years to come. Meanwhile, the Royals mortgaged their future for a good but not great starter and a swingman.

They could seriously contend for the AL Central

Shields helps them not suck, but he doesn't push that rotation into contention on his own. It was posted at the top of this page - the band is still James Shields and the Middling Starters.

Last edited:

woot21

super noob
Shin-Shoo Choo got traded to the Reds, Drew Stubbs went the Indians, and prospects went to the D'Backs. Also, the Pirates signed Jason Grilli, making trading Joel a much less scary prospect now.

woot21 out dawgs

Golden_Latias

#SlayQueenSlay
Yeah, I guess. Sorry for the overreaction. xD

And you know what? I think the only reason the Tigers "underperformed" in 2012 year was injuries. There was one point in the first half where everyone was injured (including Doug Fister, Austin Jackson, and Andy Dirks, and the latter two were having career years). If they didn't suffer that injury bug early in the year, the Tigers would have had no problem winning the AL Central.
Plus, the White Sox had like four guys having career years and no major injuries all year. I think they're going to regress in 2013.

TheWatersGreatGuardian

Legendary Trainer
Wow, he was a steal for them. They could seriously contend for the AL Central (though I still say the Tigers will win it in 2013).

Shields and Davis aren't enough to put that team into the posteason. KC will regret this deal a lot in the long run. Shields is only under their control for 2 years.

ESPNfanatic35

Catcher of Ubers
The Indians made themselves a nice trade. Choo only had one more year and would have been too expensive for them to keep. They got a pitcher in Bauer with ace potential (which is what they desperately need), an outfielder in Stubbs who has some work to do at the plate but is a 30-40 SB guy with Gold Glove-caliber defense in center, and two other prospects. And I think the Reds made themselves World Series favorites in 2013 by filling in the only hole in their lineup at the leadoff spot. As long as he is healthy, Choo will be solid and a huge upgrade for them. As for Arizona, I guess only time will tell how that trade works out for them.

Joltik-Kid

And you know what? I think the only reason the Tigers "underperformed" in 2012 year was injuries. There was one point in the first half where everyone was injured (including Doug Fister, Austin Jackson, and Andy Dirks, and the latter two were having career years). If they didn't suffer that injury bug early in the year, the Tigers would have had no problem winning the AL Central.
Plus, the White Sox had like four guys having career years and no major injuries all year. I think they're going to regress in 2013.
Other then injuries, the team just flat out sucked against lefty and mediocre pitchers. Hopefully they solve that problem during training

Golden_Latias

#SlayQueenSlay
And Mike Illitch proves once again why he's the best owner in sports (cue Lions "fans" crying about why Ford can't fire Schwartz and pay that much money to get Jon Gruden to coach them). Sanchez stays with the Tigers with a 5 year, $80 million deal. They overpaid, but they need him.