• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

MLB Baseball Thread

BCVM22

the fanbase that feels they need to boo their own players AT HOME!!!

And you're kidding yourself if you think this is exclusive to the Yankees and their fans, this year or ever. Are you going to try and tell me that the Detroit fans were letting fly with nothing but cheers for every single player even as the Tigers were struggling? (And if you are going to try and tell me this, save us both the trouble).

Joltik-Kid

Careful? Where's the fun in that?
And you're kidding yourself if you think this is exclusive to the Yankees and their fans, this year or ever. Are you going to try and tell me that the Detroit fans were letting fly with nothing but cheers for every single player even as the Tigers were struggling? (And if you are going to try and tell me this, save us both the trouble).
Nope... Inge, Raburn, Coke (later in the season), even Leyland sometimes were getting boos all regular season. But that's just it... the regular season. Those guys who play for the Yankees, regardless of the slump or not, do not deserve to be booed like that by their own fans. Were the A's and O's fans booing their own team members when they struck/popped out? Not at all. Heck, even now the Tigers can't find a single thing to boo about (well, maybe Valverde)

BCVM22

So much for saving us both the trouble.

Again. You're seeing and hearing only what you want to see and hear. Teams underperform and get booed. It happens. Everywhere. At any time. It really does. If you think it's earth-shattering that the Yankees are getting booed at home because they've done horribly this series, I don't know what to tell you.

Vernikova

Champion
My point is that their pitching overall isn't as good as the Rays. I suppose I did underestimate how often they depend on Sabathia during the postseason to win games, which makes their overall pitching look better than it actually is.

What am I reading here? All of the pitchers for the Yankees have been performing well. Do you not look up these statistics? Sabathia: 1.53 era; Phil Hughes: 1.86 era; Hiroki Kuroda: 2.81 era; Andy Pettitte: 3.29 era.

That's exactly my point, though. As useful as Sabathia has been during the postseason, they can barely win if he doesn't start for them. As anemic as their offense is now, they can't go around giving up the first run even if they want a decent chance to win. Sabathia can get through that, but the other pitchers have a hard time dealing with that.

Is this guy really blaming pitchers for the fact that they aren't throwing shut outs because their team can't hit? Key: Yankees-Opponent. Hikroki: 0-3, 3-2. Pettitte: 4-6, 2-3. Sabathia: 3-1, 7-2 (note this is the game they scored 5 runs in the top of the 9th). Hughes: 1-2, 1-2.

The pitchers have been keeping the games close. It's the hitter's job to produce runs. Don't say the pitchers are not performing well because they give up the first run, it's their job to keep the score low enough for the hitters to take a lead and win. One, two runs is low enough unless you're a blind hater of whoever you're targeting (sort of like you to the Yankees). Blame the hitters for being so anemic; don't blame the pitchers for giving up one run which is something that Yankees would need anyway if they want to win.

Do you not understand simple logic? The Rays have attendance problems, yes, we all know that. But the Yankees have a much better population to deal with, approximately 7x the population of the Tampa Bay area. When the largest market in the nation fails to sell out tickets for the Yankees, a team that always makes the postseason, that is relevant. You can keep comparing it to a much smaller market if it makes you feel better, though.

Do you need me to spoon feed this to you? Teams that don't perform well don't get attendance. Tickets get stuck with high prices, people do not go to the games. Yankees fans have higher expectations. Their teams hasn't been doing well the entire post-season. A combination of the two will make it worse. I ask, again, what exactly do you want me to say about their attendance? "Haha Yankees, even though you guys suck right now, you can't fill up the stadium haha"?

BCVM22

Boy, yeah, wow, what a guy who isn't playing does while sitting on the bench has a ton to do with the outcome of the game. Flawless logic. Would be a complete non-issue if it were any other player and/or any other team.

You're just all schtick at this point, aren't you?

TheWatersGreatGuardian

Legendary Trainer
Boy, yeah, wow, what a guy who isn't playing does while sitting on the bench has a ton to do with the outcome of the game. Flawless logic. Would be a complete non-issue if it were any other player and/or any other team.

You're just all schtick at this point, aren't you?
Wrong again. I would say the same thing of any struggling star player who had his mind elsewhere during the game, whether he is on the bench or not.

and if it gets under your skin that much that you feel you HAVE to jump on every one of my posts, then fine, thats your problem. heck, you feel you have to correct everyone on this thread.

Just shut it Mr. Superior. If you don't like me, then ignore me.

Last edited:

BCVM22

If it gets under your skin that much that you feel you HAVE to jump on every one of my posts, then you have issues.

And if you think I've jumped on "every one" of your posts in any span, the issues are not mine. Go look back. It's not even remotely true.

That aside, perhaps if your every post didn't contain some nugget of immaturity, calling some facet of the higher-spending organizations some childish name or insult...?

Again, you can complain about me as much as you want. You can talk about "I can say whatever I want" all you want - are you at the same time going to claim the (often unfounded) vitriol in your posts to be an essential part of the discussion? It's a two-way street.

heck, you feel you have to correct everyone on this thread.

Again, not even close.

Just shut it

I will be sure to get right on that.

mr perfect

It is possible to discuss baseball without being a complete and utter homer for one's team of choice, without calling my team of choice "we" or "mine", without worrying about what the media/opposing fans/that guy down the street thinks and without some of the other completely off-the-wall stuff that goes on here. That anyone, me or anyone else, might endeavor to do this does not at all make one "Mr. Perfect".

Joltik-Kid

Should have just played the darn game last night... Michigan sucks when it comes to the weather (Funny that I say that since I live here). Anyway, sweep or not, I feel the Tigers will likely be heading on to the WS, where I hope they can finally pull out a victory. '84 being that last time is kind depressing, especially when the team looked great in '06 but somehow failed

Should have just played the darn game last night... Michigan sucks when it comes to the weather (Funny that I say that since I live here). Anyway, sweep or not, I feel the Tigers will likely be heading on to the WS, where I hope they can finally pull out a victory. '84 being that last time is kind depressing, especially when the team looked great in '06 but somehow failed

I second that our weather DOES suck. I was disappointed that we didn't play last night because I was really looking forward to it.

Joltik-Kid

I had just asked that same question to a friend of mine. Honestly, as long as they stay hot, I don't care which team they face. The Giants seem far more beatable to me, but Tigers vs St. Louis is always a classic. Revenge for 2006 XD

Much revenge for 2006...oh how sad I was when we lost. I guess it really doesn't matter to me either...as long as we win.

Joltik-Kid

I was at the Verlander game in 06... it was pathetic that the team played so well during the ALDS/CS but looked sloppy in the WS. This team looks to be far better in terms of pitching and fielding.

I was at one of the post season games last year and had to sit through a two and a half hour rain delay only to have us lose.