• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

MLB thread - no redundant redundancies in the title

SlimShady

Kill your heroes
I have been trying to figure out what pitcher to give up for Paul Maholm. I've been bouncing between Hiroki Kuroda, Jason Hammel, and Ryan Vogelsong. I am in a 10-team league, and took Mike Trout 1st overall.
I was leaning towards dropping Vogelsong.

Also, I just about every closer is taken in my league. I have Bobby Parnell and Huston Street. I'm dropping David Robertson in favor of Mitchell Boggs (Jason Motte's replacement). I have to wait for my waiver to get Boggs.

Joltik-Kid

Careful? Where's the fun in that?
Blegh. And tonight only confirmed what we already know. The Tigers bullpen is a dumpster fire.
This was all on Villarreal and Leland for leaving him in. Otherwise the Bullpens decent outside of Coke who can't decide if he wants to pitch well or bad. Can't really get mad at Dotel, he threw the strike that he had to, just the other guy hit the ball well. Rick once again got screwed (by Villarreal again no less) after once again pitching a decent game. The Rain Delay and long 5th inning gave him too much time on his hands.

Still, were only 8 games in right now...don't hit that panic button until the 40 game mark if they're under .500 again.

Golden_Latias

#SlayQueenSlay
I'm not hitting the panic button at all, it's just from what I've seen, Drew Smyly and Darin Downs are the only two good BP guys we've got.

And if Villarreal isn't on the hot seat, then he should be. Send him down to Toledo and bring up someone else if he has one more bad outing.

Joltik-Kid

I'm not hitting the panic button at all, it's just from what I've seen, Drew Smyly and Darin Downs are the only two good BP guys we've got.

And if Villarreal isn't on the hot seat, then he should be. Send him down to Toledo and bring up someone else if he has one more bad outing.
What about Benoit or Al... we just gonna forgive Smyly for his outing in Minnesota? Those two aren't the only Bullpen guys that can be reliable. Sure Al was a little shaky in the New York series, but he couldn't get a grip on his Slider. Heck Phil's be decent enough imo, the blown save would have happened eventually and it wasn't entirely his fault. Dotel yesterday (after the inherited runners) was pretty good. So I believe our weakest link really is Villarreal, he hasn't had a single good outing in three appearances.

I say send him down immediately, no use destroying his confidence in one last attempt (which happened to a few players last year)

EDIT: Calling it, yesterday was a fluke...we easily swept this overrated Jays team

Last edited:

Golden_Latias

#SlayQueenSlay
Careful. The Tigers won their division last year after getting off to a slow start, and we're what? 9 games in? I wouldn't call the Jays overrated.

Joltik-Kid

Careful. The Tigers won their division last year after getting off to a slow start, and we're what? 9 games in? I wouldn't call the Jays overrated.
Why not, almost all of Baseball is...but fair enough. Just a remainder though, we were never in last place last year (unless I was looking at the standings wrong). I guess Royals are gonna be the bigger opponents this year then what they made Cleveland out to be

On a side note: It's great to see Peralta and Avila getting back into 2011 form. On the other hand, Dirks better not have been a one season wonder, at least V-Mart has a good reason for starting slow.

Last edited:

Hunter Zolomon

Into the Shadows
Staff member
I'll be honest. I pay more attention to football and basketball but I do pull for the Tigers since I am a Michigander so I always want them to do good. I do remember last time when the Tigers started off slow, but ended up having a great season.

Joltik-Kid

I'll be honest. I pay more attention to football and basketball but I do pull for the Tigers since I am a Michigander so I always want them to do good. I do remember last time when the Tigers started off slow, but ended up having a great season.
Pistons have been on a collapse for a few years now, so really could careless about Basketball outside of College this year. Football is definitely something at times though, you wanna root for the Lions, but they just never seem to get it together...maybe this year will be a little better? Baseball though, it's always been a highlight since 06 and the team has always found ways to improve. This year is definitely no didn't, well, they need to solve the bullpen issue, but that's only for when they don't have a slug feast like they did today

Hunter Zolomon

Into the Shadows
Staff member
Pistons have been on a collapse for a few years now, so really could careless about Basketball outside of College this year. Football is definitely something at times though, you wanna root for the Lions, but they just never seem to get it together...maybe this year will be a little better? Baseball though, it's always been a highlight since 06 and the team has always found ways to improve. This year is definitely no didn't, well, they need to solve the bullpen issue, but that's only for when they don't have a slug feast like they did today

I'm actually a Chicago Bulls fan. As a kid I grew up watching Michael Jordan and ever since then I have been a Bulls fan, and still watch them to this day. I do follow the Pistons, I always wish for them to do good, but like you said they haven't been good the last few years. I remember when the Pistons won it all in 2004, Rip Hamilton, Chauncey Billups, Ben Wallace, Rasheed Wallace, Tayshaun Prince. That team was awesome!

And of course I follow Michigan hoops. I have been a fan for many, many years. I keep up with Michigan Baseball, Basketball AND College Football!

I agree with you on the Tigers. If they can solve the bullpen issue I think they will be fine, as for the Lions....It's hard to tell how they will do. They made it to the playoffs finally, then took a step back last season.

Crimson_Blazer

Padres Dodgers brawl made me laugh, i am a Padres fan, but I'm also realistic, .500 would be a great season for this squad, with the west coast Yankees (Dodgers) and the team who has won 2 of the last 3 World Series, NL West is a tough division, but hey, at least they aren't the Marlins

Golden_Latias

#SlayQueenSlay
What happened with that Padres-Dodgers brawl anyway? I just heard about it.

I'll say that I do think the Pistons will be fine eventually, and the Lions will probably be better next season, since it doesn't take that much of a stretch of the imagination to see them as a .500 team (plus, they had a ton of injuries), and I'm a firm believer in the Law of Averages, though I don't see them returning to the playoffs yet, because the NFC is way too strong. But this isn't the thread to discuss those sports.

Anyway, Tigs head out west to play the red-hot Oakland A's next. Not looking forward to this.

BCVM22

What happened with that Padres-Dodgers brawl anyway? I just heard about it.

Take it away, Vin:

http://atmlb.com/112cRSj

The Quentin HBP came after Jason Marquis threw over Kemp's head earlier in the game. Third time in their careers that Greinke has beaned Quentin. Quentin, Kemp, Hairston were ejected, Greinke left the game with an injury following the brawl, later confirmed to be a broken collarbone.

Kemp and Quentin reportedly went at it in the players' parking lot afterward. Kemp supposedly told Quentin "we'll see, *****" as he walked out of the stadium.

Quentin's Wikipedia page:

quentin_punisher.png

And finally, someone on the Padres bench was unsure of what to do as his teammates sprinted from the dugout
padres_bench_clear.gif

Golden_Latias

#SlayQueenSlay
Take it away, Vin:

http://atmlb.com/112cRSj

The Quentin HBP came after Jason Marquis threw over Kemp's head earlier in the game. Third time in their careers that Greinke has beaned Quentin. Quentin, Kemp, Hairston were ejected, Greinke left the game with an injury following the brawl, later confirmed to be a broken collarbone.

Kemp and Quentin reportedly went at it in the players' parking lot afterward. Kemp supposedly told Quentin "we'll see, *****" as he walked out of the stadium.

Quentin's Wikipedia page:

quentin_punisher.png

And finally, someone on the Padres bench was unsure of what to do as his teammates sprinted from the dugout
padres_bench_clear.gif
lol Wow.

I'm not really either....because of the times the game comes on XD

Trust me, with Scherzer, Verlander, and Sanchez pitching this series, the Tigers are bound to at least take 1 if not 2
Yeah, I hate West Coast road trips. :( I'm glad this is the only one they've got this year.

Oh, I know they won't get swept by the A's. The A's haven't even played anyone good yet (except for the slumping Angels). Just, I don't know. I don't feel good about this series.

Joltik-Kid

Yeah, I hate West Coast road trips. :( I'm glad this is the only one they've got this year.

Oh, I know they won't get swept by the A's. The A's haven't even played anyone good yet (except for the slumping Angels). Just, I don't know. I don't feel good about this series.
The old saying "Its not who you play but when you play them" really doesn't seem to looking in the Tigers favor right now...at least with this series. Then again, the Mariners seemed to have their number last year (Tigers play them next)

But I see it two ways, if the Tiger bats were getting it done in the cold, then it should be just as easy in the warmth of the West.

EDIT: Man oh man did the Tigers get screwed on that should be HR by Santiago. Of coarse then Jim sends in the slumping Villarreal, so that's a lost we didn't deserve. That error by Scherzer was really the key to their defeat today other then the lack of clutch hitting.

Last edited:

Golden_Latias

#SlayQueenSlay
Well, that series went better than expected, to say the least. Can't believe the A's only got three hits in that last game! Also, when did Josh Reddick grow that insane beard? My goodness, he looks like a caveman.

Next up are the Tiger Killing Seattle Mariners. Fortunately, the Royals are playing the 11-1 (!) Atlanta Braves next.

Mye

Someone has to win..
It's official: the atlanta braves are off to yet another good start after sweeping the nationals (yes, you heard me right, the 93 wins last year nationals). Yes, it's only 1/16th of the way into the season, but if they keep up this "pace", they'll hit 150wins, and surely be eliminated in the first round of the playoffs...

Joltik-Kid

Well, that series went better than expected, to say the least. Can't believe the A's only got three hits in that last game! Also, when did Josh Reddick grow that insane beard? My goodness, he looks like a caveman.

Next up are the Tiger Killing Seattle Mariners. Fortunately, the Royals are playing the 11-1 (!) Atlanta Braves next.
I think every team but the A's think that guy looks ridiculous... It did go better for us though due to some unfortunate injuries to Crisp and Cespedes. Even then though, those two did't make much of a difference in Game 1.

Anyway, this next series is the one I'm sorta worried about because the Mariners always do play us rough. I wish we weren't gonna skip Porcello's outing, because now we don't have Verlander going for the Angels game...though Sanchez is dealing right now :)

TheWatersGreatGuardian

Legendary Trainer
This has turned into a tigers board :p

Anyways, I don't have much to talk about when it comes to my team right now :(