• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

MLB thread - no redundant redundancies in the title

Hunter Zolomon

Into the Shadows
Staff member
With that World Series win the Boston Red Sox bandwagon is about to fill up even more....It makes me sick how people just bandwagon jump, but it happens in all sports unfortunately. I'm been supporting all my favorite sports teams through thick and thin...

Last edited:
I don't watch much baseball outside of LSU baseball, however i always watch the world series. I don't have a favorite team, but i was pulling for the Cardinals to win b/c i thought they were the better team. Oh well, Red Sox fans everywhere have to be pretty happy with how the series played out, the two best teams (at least record-wise of each conference) met each other and they were able to win it all.

Puma Italia

I lost interest after game 5. I had hoped the Red Sox would lose, but realistically they had everything go their way this year and Roidtiz was Roidtiz. I'm happy for the city of Boston considering what they went through, but I'm not happy my most hated team won it all.

Whatever, now we can start talking more offseason.

ebevan91

I only heard 1 person today talk about the world series and that was a Cardinals fan.

It seems like nobody really cares about it anymore, especially since football is in full swing and basketball just started back.

BCVM22

It seems like nobody really cares about it anymore, especially since football is in full swing and basketball just started back.

That you, personally, heard but one person talk about it speaks to nothing save that itself. To say "nobody really cares about it anymore" is baseless.

ebevan91

That you, personally, heard but one person talk about it speaks to nothing save that itself. To say "nobody really cares about it anymore" is baseless.

It was an exaggeration but also I'm talking about on other internet forums too. Baseball section is dead while football section is very active.

Golden_Latias

#SlayQueenSlay
The fact that football and basketball are both far more popular sports in the US than baseball probably helps.

BCVM22

It was an exaggeration but also I'm talking about on other internet forums too. Baseball section is dead while football section is very active.

That still doesn't speak even remotely to the popularity of the game as a whole. Other message boards are no more an indicator of that popularity than this thread is, and if you've read this thread for the last week, you'd think the Red Sox were a bunch of unwashed rogues besmirching everything that is good, right and proper about the game, and their fans a bunch of murderous, bloodthirsty cannibals.

My point is that the game is doing fine - the ratings for this particular World Series were very healthy - and whether message boards are or are not discussing the Series doesn't speak to that, particularly as Boston/St. Louis is a very polarizing matchup.

Puma Italia

What really made this disgusting world series possible was the dodgers. Oh how I wish they hadn't freed up half the red sox payroll :(

I was really expecting to see the Red Sox be horrible for the next couple of years. Then I saw what they did in the offseason and I knew they'd be much better than all of the "experts" thought they would be.

Now if only the Yankees could pull something like this off..

Eiro

Grass Pokemon <3
As an Orioles fan, it really sucks seeing the Red Sox win the World Series. However, I'm happy for them and the people of Boston that had to deal with the Boston Marathon bombings. It seems like sports are a great way to cope with tragedy, and that is the only reason why I am happy for the Red Sox. Oh and Koji Uehara, an ex-oriole, won a WS so that's a plus, too. :p

BlazingCold

a year of bad luck culminates in this

First I had Notre Dame lose to an Alabama team that only got in because of Ohio State's ban (OSU is better than Bama, period)

Then 2 teams that I didn't want in the Super Bowl advance there anyway (both after facing deficits)

Then that traitor LeBron wins another NBA title (which should have been won with Cleveland)

now this

Is it so much to ask to have a sports championship go my way?
ok now let's get real

If OSU wasn't banned it would of been Alabama, OSU. i know Notre Dame was not number one but CFB is rigged

This is not a bad story of a team i predicted in the dumps

Of course lebron sucks though

Lugia's Chosen

ok now let's get real

If OSU wasn't banned it would of been Alabama destroying OSU. i know Notre Dame was not number one but CFB is rigged

This is not a bad story of a team i predicted in the dumps

Of course lebron sucks though
fixed for ya. No one was stopping bama last year in that game. Especially not fat-on-a-cupcake-schedule OSU

Golden_Latias

#SlayQueenSlay
We can kindly stop talking about college football in a baseball thread now, alright?

Here's some actual baseball news. Brad Ausmus will be the new Tigers manager.

Risky move, I guess, but not surprised. He was the favorite to get the job, after all. We'll see how this one pans out.

Puma Italia

There's a lot of first time managers, next season should be fun. Did Mattingly ever get a new deal? I stopped hearing about that a while ago.

BCVM22

The club option for 2014 on Mattingly's existing contract vested when they won their NLDS series over Atlanta, and Mattingly has elected to honor that, despite the front office's seeming lack of confidence in him hast season, but they didn't re-up with him beyond that.

Joltik-Kid

Careful? Where's the fun in that?
We can kindly stop talking about college football in a baseball thread now, alright?

Here's some actual baseball news. Brad Ausmus will be the new Tigers manager.

Risky move, I guess, but not surprised. He was the favorite to get the job, after all. We'll see how this one pans out.
In my honest opinion... outside of making pitching moves, a manager doesn't have the biggest impact on the game. The Tigers team is still gonna be talented enough regardless of who manages them. It's up to them in terms of performance... All Ausmus has to do is write names on the line up card XD And Dave has some holes to fix this offseason

Eiro

Grass Pokemon <3
In my opinion, the manager has a pretty big impact on the team. He's the one calling the shots, making shifts, setting lineups, deciding who to start, cut, release, sign, who should come out of the bullpen. They're the ones who are the ones who make the call when a top prospect is ready to play for the big league team. They don't just write names on a lineup card.

BCVM22

In my opinion, the manager has a pretty big impact on the team. He's the one calling the shots, making shifts, setting lineups, deciding who to start, who should come out of the bullpen.

Those are important, but ultimately a manager will get more credit than he's due when his team wins and perhaps somewhat more blame than he's due when the team doesn't. The Athletics don't win because of Bob Melvin - if anything, they win in spite of him, because he's not a good manager. His players are the ones going out there and performing, and generally he gets more credit for that than he should.

The best managers are the ones who can handle their duties intelligently and properly and otherwise get the hell out of the way.

cut, release, sign

Front office, with limited input from the manager.

They're the ones who are the ones who make the call when a top prospect is ready to play for the big league team.

That also is the front office, particularly the general manager and more specifically the player development staff.

Brad Ausmus will inherit a talented Tigers roster that will continue to dominate a weak division, and he'll be credited with "stepping up and leading the team to competitiveness in his first season as a manager" to an inaccurate and very likely hyperbolic extent. See also: Mike Matheny, Cardinals.

Puma Italia

The manager could have an impact when they aren't managing a team loaded with talent. Girardi did his best job as a manager this season, with very limited talent, and a different player hurt every week (that's what it felt like at least). He had pitchers under-performing (CC), never had a complete lineup, and the team was in it until the last few weeks of the season. That's impressive.