• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Mmm... Cyndaquil steak

Meep

ok.
Hehe... I like the title.

Anyways, what do you think that people (meaning humans) eat in the Pokemon world? I mean, if you write a fanfic about a person who loves their team of Pokemon, would the character go to a shop and eat a hamburger made of *gasp* Miltanks?! It would just seem... wierd. Maybe unatural. But then what do your characters eat?

I think, in the Pokemon world, they have this substance that tastes like meat, has the nutritional value of meat, but is made of some kind of veggie.

Dilasc

Boip!
In Dust to Deceit, a character fishes a Goldeen right out of the river and sticks a fork right in it a few seconds before it dies. Its a man eat man world, and Pokemon are man enough to be a part of it. Seriously, Pokemon are edible in my honest opinion, and Squirtle Turtle Soup is delicious.

Klaus

TOMATO BERRY!
Well, I agree with Dilasc. Of course they're just like animals in our world except they can shock,burn or drown you. Yeah, they eat miltank, farfetched, pidgey, goldeen and psyduck.

Yeah, pokemon are edible. In my story, Taylor is a semi-hippy speaks out against it.

As always, be kind to the mime.

Iveechan

<--- CHANTASTIC
I prefer humans being vegetarian, subbing tofu and meaty mushrooms and stuff for meat. In the old days, though, humans probably ate Pokemon meat. Pokemon are way to intelligent and sentient to be thought of as "just like animals", it would be like eating your own kid or another human.

Meep

ok.
It just seems pretty wierd to eat a Pokemon... I mean, you wouldn't go out and eat a dog or a cat, would you? Most likely not, and that's because you've known one as a friend (or maybe an enemy). So if you trained a Miltank for a very long time, would you still eat hamburgers (if they were made out of Miltanks)? It would just feel wrong.

Bu†cH

Braaiiiiiinss......
You are what you eat.

What if you eat a Pokemon with Electric moves?

Shocking, ain't it? *Drums*

Zerodius

Eternally hating D/P
In my stories, humans eat Pokemon becease, well, Pokemon are animals!... exept they got powers and becease some of them are sentient (most merely obey their instincts however).

In fact, in one of my stories involving Mewtwo (which I feature way too much in my stories but well...), he thinks about how it's so weird and yet normal for him to eat a good, meaty, juicy Miltank steak when he happens to be a Pokemon himself.

As for you speaking about eating cats and dogs... well, it can be done. Also, pigs and cows are animals too, you know. It's just that unlike cats and dogs, they aren't seen as pets and as such, people don't feel guilty eating them...

... in fact, the same could be said for Pokemon. People would feel guilty eating, say, a Growlithe (the Pokemon equivalent of a dog)... but eating a Miltank (the Pokemon equivalent of a cow) would seem perfectly normal.

I feel like writting a big dissertation about how stating that eating meat is cruel is hypocritical since plants are alive too but well... this would be asking for flame and the fact that I mentionned this opinion of mine could already cause some people to be offended so I'll stop there.

Have a nice day.

Klaus

TOMATO BERRY!
Well yeah, eating a charmander would really give you heartburn *HEHEHE* Probably in the old days. I think eating pokemon is really rupulsive though. I agree with the tofo idea. But, what about Farfetched being a delecacy?
Still creepy.

As always, be kind to the mime.

Meep

ok.
Zerodius said:
As for you speaking about eating cats and dogs... well, it can be done. Also, pigs and cows are animals too, you know. It's just that unlike cats and dogs, they aren't seen as pets and as such, people don't feel guilty eating them...
I know that many people eat animals that we see as pets. Dogs, rabbits, all good food. It's just that the people who eat them usually don't have a pet of that sort of their own, so they don't see it as any bad. I bet that if I ever had a pet pig/sheep/cow/ect I wouldn't eat that kind of meat ever again, but because I haven't, I'm still a steak-lover.

Zerodius said:
I feel like writting a big dissertation about how stating that eating meat is cruel is hypocritical since plants are alive too but well...
I have actually done that... I knew this person who was a vegetarian, and I told her that billions of helpless plants are thrown into inhumane conditions and then mercilessly slaughtered. I think it freaked her out.

Iveechan

<--- CHANTASTIC
I don't see why Miltank is always classed as a Pokemon someone should eat. I mean, it is very capable of performing in battles, right? And Pokemon are VERY sentient, moreso than animals. They can understand human speech and emotions nearly perfectly. Just because Miltank is a cow doesn't mean she should be treated as a regular food cow... she's a battling Pokemon like all the others.

Tale

Well I'd feel it was obvious that Pokemon are eaten. It gives a huge sense of reality.

I remember a thread similar to this where people said animals were actually in the Pokemon world, so they could be used as they are today.
You could make Pokemon meals a delecacy, such as crispy Psyduck and stuff.

Thing is, it may be wierd, but when you decide to write a story that doesn't follow the anime/games, you have to invent these kind of things and decide for yourself whether it happens or not.

If you dont decide to allow the Pokemon to be eaten, then I suggest you give a very good excuse for it other than most people think it is wierd. Because, honestly, if Pokemon were real, I'm pretty sure people would take the opppertunity to eat them - why wouldn't they?

So yeah, forget about the wierdness and just do it I say. Either that or come up with a good excuse or dont involve details of meals into the fic at all =/
Hope I helped, its early and I'm still only half awake e_e.

Chibi Pika

Stay positive
Pokemon aren't animals. >>

*Cough.* Anyway, I got into a mini debate about that before and I'd rather not now so--animals do exist in my fic...that's right, in addition to Pokemon. It just wouldn't work otherwise, IMO. Humans eat animals, Pokemon, however, will hunt Pokemon of another species, (though they take animals when they can get 'em.) Some of them are against it, some are not, but as far as humans go, killing a Pokemon in my fic is illegal. Seriously, would you want to eat something that could think and talk and...if you taught it to, even...even read as good as you??? OO; That could walk up to you and, provided you knew the language, hold an intelligent conversation???

I dunno, that just creeps me out. >> But then, a lot of fics don't portray Pokemon as sentient, so with that it's fine.

~Chibi~;249;<?>;rukario;

The Big Al

I just keeping Octo
I had people eating Combusken in my fanfic. Seriously, people eat meat as do some Pokemon. Do you think Sharpedo eats kelp?

Fatal

Banned
Here's the Pokemon under-sea food chain:

Barboach > Remoraid > Feebas > Magikarp > Chincou > Goldeen > Gorebyss > Lanturn > Huntail > Seaking > Milotic > Octillery > Sharpedo > Gyarados > Wailord > Kyogre

Dragonfree

Just me
I'll be the first to say that breeding Pokémon for human consumption would simply be logically impossible.

Imagine a farm of Miltank, since Miltank seems to be such a popular example in this thread. As Pokémon are clearly sentient, the Miltank would

a) realize what is going on when they are taken to be slaughtered
b) realize what is going on when the other Miltank are taken to be slaughtered
c) not want to be slaughtered
d) be able to perform scary techniques like Body Slam (ouch)
e) be able to work together to overcome the farmer and save themselves

See what I'm getting at here?

In my fic, humans in ancient times used to only eat plants and then maybe some of the smaller, weaker Pokémon that were easier to hunt (and then they had to hunt them one by one as hunters/gatherers; there's no way to lock Pokémon inside and breed them). Later, a portal between the Pokémon world and the animal world opened, and the humans of the Pokémon world imported animals to breed and eat. They still ate the occasional Farfetch'd or Magikarp, but that tradition died down as more research on Pokémon speech started. At the time the fic itself happens, nobody of the main character's generation could imagine eating a Pokémon, since they've all been taught Pokémon speech at school and think of Pokémon very similar to how they think of humans.

BirthdayPirate

<- Starter of choice
In my fic, Pokemon have animalistic intelligence, so it's not really a problem for me. Of course, eating a Cyndaquil or other such popular Pokemon is the equivalent of eating a cat or a dog, so most people eat Pokemon that aren't usually trained. Of course, this sometimes poses a problem to trainers with those Pokemon, but they get over it.

PDL

disenchanted
you know, now that I think of it, some Pokemon CAN be eaten, but usually it's something that's either taboo, like how some real animals in different cultures are not eaten such as pigs or horses or as a delicacy.

other then that, foodstuffs is probably the only time that real animals such as fish and small bugs and possibly beef will appear in the fic.

Dilasc

Boip!
Everyone talks about animal, but mentionms Pokemon eating as Taboo. Where the heck are these 'animals?' I don't think such a strange thing as 'animals' exist in the Pokemon universe... at least I think.

The Big Al

I just keeping Octo
Considering the Barboach closely ressembles the sea lamprey, he'd probably be at the top as a parasite instead of the bottom.

Dragonfree, while fairy, humanshaped, and a couple of other individual species are sentient, I doubt your basic miltank would understand the process of beef ranching if you drew it out on a chalk board.

And as I said, Pokemon eat Pokemon. It's called the food chain. Heck, we let ourselves get eaten alive by parasites and we're sentient

PDL

disenchanted
hey, we need pokemon that are perfect for being at the very bottom of the food chain. like pokemon plankton or something...

what about Bug pokemon, where do they fit exactly, a few like Caterpie seem to be made for the role of being eaten by bigger pokemon...