• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Mmm... Cyndaquil steak

Ash_Junior

Irredeemable Nerd
The Big Al said:
Dragonfree, while fairy, humanshaped, and a couple of other individual species are sentient, I doubt your basic miltank would understand the process of beef ranching if you drew it out on a chalk board.

just out of curiousity...where's your evidence for Miltank being stupid?

just because our cows are stupid doesn't mean Miltank necessarily are...and even our cows being stupid is debatable.

*shrugs*

I'm gonna have to agree with Dragonfree on this one.

EDIT:

so....soem Pokes are sentient, and others aren't?

what's your basis for that?

Last edited:

Iveechan

<--- CHANTASTIC
The way I see it with the Pokemon eating other Pokemon thing... in the wild, Pokemon are still intelligent, yet they behave more like "regular" animals because they are trying to survive. It's like how, generally, you are taught not to kill other people, yet people are fine with going to war and killing people there.

Humans, with our conveniences... we're not trying to survive in the wilderness like wild Pokemon are, and really, there would be no reason to have to eat a Pokemon. Ok, ok, look at Meowth from the anime. He's just a regular Pokemon, but he learned to speak. Not only can he speak, he can converse with humans fluently... so well, he is commonly treated like a human character instead of a Pokemon. Now, any Pokemon has the potential to learn to converse with humans perfectly. Would you be comfortable with eating something so human-like? I dunno, with how advanced the Pokemon world is, it seems really backwards for humans to have to eat Pokemon.

Haunter

Johto Champion
Well, in my 'fic, humans do eat pokemon. Not all pokemon, though. Miltank are eaten. Of course, the diet is more vegetarian than anything but meat is still eaten.

"Popular" pokemon aren't eaten. I generally try to substitute in a pokemon where an animal would be, but like I said, the people are more vegetarian than anything. They eat meat, but not much.

The Big Al

I just keeping Octo
Not all Pokemon are as intellegent as Meowth. Do you think a Caterpie could learn to speak a human language?

As for some Pokemon being smarter than others. It's the same in the real world. There are highly intellegent animals and unintellegent animals. Why do you think it would be any different with Pokemon?

RaZoR LeAf

Night Terror
Dilasc said:
Everyone talks about animal, but mentionms Pokemon eating as Taboo. Where the heck are these 'animals?' I don't think such a strange thing as 'animals' exist in the Pokemon universe... at least I think.

http://img98.imageshack.us/img98/1372/untitled10kx.jpg

Said episode (The Water Flowers of Cerulean City) has usually been the grounds for saying that animals exist alongside humans. If you try to delve deeper into the idea, consider that there is no religion seen in Pokemon, and since pokemon 'evolve' almost ever day, the theory of evolution would also be widely beleived. That would mean humans and pokemon evolved from the same species, and begs the question why do pokemon have amazing skills but not humans?

While eating pokemon isn't out of the question, the presence of animals shouldn't be dismissed because they're appearences are pushed away and pokemon made the forerunners. Of course pokemon is based on Japanese culture, and vegetarianism is commonplace in Japan, but then you have to ask, do people eat Venusaur leaves, or stew made of Oddish?

On the other hand, it IS fanfiction after all, and ultimatly it's your interpretation of events.

Jetx

hooray, it's Jetx!
Obviously pokemon eat other pokemon whether they like it or not, tailow and swellow eat wurmple whether the wurmple like it or not and in my fic the pelipper eats remoraid, magikarp and barboach

The Big Al

I just keeping Octo
I always thought the powders and spores would be used in narcodics.

Meep

ok.
To all those people who are saying that Pokemon are not smart: Pokemon ARE very intellegent. They have the brain power to remember a huge amount of attacks (on the games they can only know four moves at a time, but in the anime they seem to remember them all) and understand (note how I didn't say speak, I said understand) the human language. Dolphins are known for being intellegent, and they can only learn how hand movements or sounds means that they should, for example, jump through a hoop or spit water at someone. If dolphins are known for being smart, then why not a Weedle, that can understand the human language, be known as any less intellegent?

Dragonfree

Just me
*points up* Exactly. Sure, you can believe that some Pokémon are more intelligent than others, but it doesn't take an awful lot of brains to figure out what's going on when one of your friends is taken away and you never see them again, and I think we all have considerable evidence that Pokémon do have that intelligence and more.

C

Caithyra

In my fic, certain pokémon will be eaten such a Goldeen and Magikarp because they don't seem to be that intelligent. (If you think about it, much of the pokémon world is near the sea so in the past maybe that was their subsitute for meat?)

Anyway:

Dragonite Pokédex entries:
Red/Blue: An extremely rarely seen Pokémon. Its intelligence is said to match that of humans.
Leaf Green: Same as above.
Stadium 1: Has intelligence on par with people. This "sea guardian" is said to be capable of flying around the globe in about 16 hours.

If Dragonite's intelligence is such a rare phenomenon to mention, I am of the opinion that not all pokémon is classified as intelligent beings. (They say that intelligence is measured in the animal's capability to understand death... If you shoot a Rapidash in the middle of a herd and the other Rapidashes continue to graze around it like nothing happened, maybe they shouldn't be classified as sentient. On the other hand that's like suicide for the hunter if they ARE sentient.)

Devilrose

Super Coordinator
I have to agree with CrystalCat. Certain pokemon would be considered edible, while others wouldn't. Chances are Miltank are farmed in the same way as cows, and if they're bred specifically for that purpose they probably wouldn't be strong enough to try to escape, assuming they even know they're being slaughtered. Fish like Goldeen and Magikarp would be more pokemon that would be considered edible. Even in the anime they were thinking of different meals to make with a Magikarp. Its unlikely, though, that anyone's going to be eating a Gyarados anytime soon...

Also, many animals people keep as pets are considered food. Including, in some countries, dogs. And personally, if I had a pig for a pet (they look soooo cute as little piglets ^-^) I'd have no trouble eatting a plate of bacon for breakfast.

R

~*Ratiosu*~

Klaus said:
But, what about Farfetched being a delecacy?

Well, seeing as people say there's only one Farfetch'd that would be kind of weird, LOL. But I don't believe that, so I would say that there are animals in the Pokemon world. I mean how many times have you seen birds and such flying that are *gasp* NOT PIDGEY, SPEAROW, OR ANY OF THIER EVOLUTIONS? But I would say Pokemon are perfectly edible, also due to the fact that Ekans eat Pidgey eggs like snakes eat bird eggs, so I would say that people can eat Pokemon. But if you paid attention you would see they do hve cows and etc. I mean, Misty calls Bug Pokemon bugs, however if there were no bugs why would she know what they were called? O-O HMM? She would say "Oh there's a Bug Pokemon!" not just "a bug".

F

Flying Tropius

I would say tropius farming is good food source yumm bananas

K

Kyle of Pallet

In Colliding Worlds, they eat Steamed Shellder, Miltank Beef, rarely Far'fetched, and a few other Poke'Mon.

What I believe, is that they eat less, meaning more Poke'Mon. I think that every few days or so, they would eat a Poke'Mon for a protein sustenence.
But I think the humans in the Poke'Mon World, as you will see in my fic, are hore durable than us, and thus, they can eat less often.

Iveechan

<--- CHANTASTIC
Oh man, how can I keep stressing this? Pokemon are NOT pets, they are NOT real-world animals, they are treated as companions and team mates. Caterpie may not be an Einstein, but Butterfree is pretty damn smart, and, since all Pokemon have happiness levels, Caterpie is very capable of having emotions and sentience. Hey, maybe one can learn to speak like Meowth, it's just that most Pokemon don't bother trying to speak like humans.

The Pokedex entries about Dragonite having the ability to understand human language I think is BS. If Pokemon can't understand humans, how the heck do they perform attacks? Not just attacks but, in an anime setting, commands such as "dodge!" and complex directions. Perhaps creatures like Dragonite (who is mystical) just have an easier time understanding humans.

Nylf

I'll stand by my logic. In my world, there are both Pokemon and animals. We eat the animals, play/battle the Pokemon. Simple, easy and not morally wrong for me.(Vegetarian and Vegans would probably disagree, but I ain't a veggie. My concieous(sp?) is clear). And Pokemon eat whatever they form represents, and Pokemon would, to them, be normal food. Rayquaza eats mini beasts like bacteria, Ho-oh eat's herbs and Suicune loves a bit of Pidgeot. That's what I think, but you're opinions/ideas are interesting as well.

Another Fan

Nothing Special
I see no reason why should pokemon be considered a companion and not a pet. Like animals they can be taught to respond in a certain way to certain commands. I don't see a single reason for miltank to be intelligent than to understand more than "Mm. Grass. Mm. Jump on bug to get more grass." They can be eaten and no one cares. Same with probable many pokemon. Like farfetch'd, grumpig and torchic. People won't go and chew on kadabra or dragonair but I see no reason why not just shoot a miltank. So, I have no reason to believe that they are intelligent.

I do not watch or believe the anime.

Last edited:

Meep

ok.
Another Fan said:
Same with probable many pokemon. Like farfetch'd, grumpig and torchic. People won't go and chew on kadabra or dragonair but I see no reason why not just shoot a miltank.
Why do you think it is okay to eat a Grumpig but not a Dragonair? That's like saying its bad to eat beef but okay to eat fish. Is it because you consiter (sp) a Grumpig to be less intellegent than a Dragonair or Kadabra? If there was a baby human that was born mentally retarded, would you think it to be okay to eat the baby? No, because (ignoring the fact that humans tend to not eat their own species) that baby is still intellegent enough to have feelings, learn things (like word commands and not to touch fire), and do many other things that Pokemon do too. If you don't eat the baby, then why would you eat a Torchic, which has more intellegence?

Dragonfree

Just me
Another Fan said:
I see no reason why should pokemon be considered a companion and not a pet. Like animals they can be taught to respond in a certain way to certain commands. I don't see a single reason for miltank to be intelligent than to understand more than "Mm. Grass. Mm. Jump on bug to get more grass." They can be eaten and no one cares. Same with probable many pokemon. Like farfetch'd, grumpig and torchic. People won't go and chew on kadabra or dragonair but I see no reason why not just shoot a miltank. So, I have no reason to believe that they are intelligent.

I do not watch or believe the anime.
If you "do not watch or believe the animé", then please don't claim you see no reason why Pokémon should be considered companions and not pets. There is a reason why they should be considered companions and not pets, which is made clear in animé canon; you can choose not to consider them companions anyway, but then just accept that what you're doing is blatantly ignoring a part of canon which is in fact less justifiable than taking it all into account.

EDIT: By the way, your logic doesn't really work either; the Miltank doesn't get more grass for jumping on the bug. Pokémon are canonically never rewarded specifically for battling - in fact, all battling does for them physically is to get them hurt, exhausted and weak. Besides that a newly caught Pokémon knows what "Tackle" or "Ember" or whatever is before being actually taught any tricks. Now, I'm not saying that you can't write a fic where Pokémon are rewarded after every battle and the trainers have to teach their Pokémon how to attack, but then you're definitely dramatically altering canon.

Basically, I think it's safe to say that canonically, Pokémon are generally not eaten in the Pokémon world.

Last edited: