1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. We're currently having an issue where e-mails sent to gmail accounts are not going through and are bouncing back. We're currently working to resolve this matter and apologise for any inconvenience
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

MMO Guild Stories Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Other Video Game Discussion' started by shoz999, Oct 15, 2018.

1. shoz999

shoz999 Master of Disguise!

So what is this thread about? It's about talking about your experiences of being in a guild, a sizable membership group within an MMO.

I'll start first. I am a huge fan of Guild Wars 2, in fact I got so addicted to it I stopped playing pretty much other game. I invested a lot of time that I decided to create my own guild, The Wings of Free. This was also ironically my first guild of any MMO, meaning... I pretty much had no experience running a guild or even joining one lol. So it turned out bad right? Nope, it actually ran pretty well over time. Early on in the guild process I planned things out. I decided to experiment recruiting processes. One way I did was center down much of my recruitment to potential-guildies who looked like they can be long and active players with consistent playtime. I also created a guildie removal process of removing guildies who were inactive for one month. Special guildies who've been active for quite a long time get their removal process extended for three months to an entire year. I managed to gain a consistent 10-20 player base during an entire two years, my guild grew more experienced over time, gaining boosts, starting events (battling bosses were a favorite), doing dungeons and conquering an area to make a new headquarters during the Heart of Thorns launch.

One of the policies my guild has was a noob-friendly policy. One of the reasons why my guild was so active was that it focused on doing a certain recruiting aspect that most other hardcore guilds just don't do a lot. That's recruiting noobs, showing them how much Guild War 2 has to offer and raising them into experienced veteran players of the game. That not only worked but some of my best guildies started out as noobs. In fact some of the noobs I recruited created even more powerful sets than my own lol. Part of the noob-to-veteran experience was introducing the noobs to PvP. I couldn't do World vs. World because a 10 to 20 player guild was inadequate for massive sieges, the best my guild could do was capture camps and join other guilds, if lucky, to take on castles. My guild soon started attracting a few veterans around the block who had a lot of issues with the mainstream hardcore guilds.

Two veteran players that really stood out who joined the guild was this husband and wife duo who played these tanky classes. They loved PvP and their strength together was monstrously tanky against even full five-man groups. We were able to win a lot of PvP matches thanks to them. I got to knew a lot of people, the wife and husband duo of course, some Australians, a bartender, this young couple who were madly in love, another couple that was a bit more casual, some college and high school students and some other players who wouldn't talk about themselves. I often hear praise how they like how active but loose and friendly my guild was. My guild wasn't that strict in terms of rules, in fact I thought that was one of the reasons what actually made my guild pretty appealing to some veterans and unlike the more dead guilds, it managed to stay active for a good two years because I was pretty dedicated to organizing events and communicating with everyone. However it had to come to an end. See, there was this one. particular. MASSIVE. problem.

My guild had no successor and my life was getting more and more busier by the day. A lot of the veterans I asked to succeed the guild had no experience in leadership or organization skills. Others said that their own lives were too busy. So I thought about just closing the guild down but those who knew that this might be inevitable begged me not to close it as there weren't really a lot of guilds like mine according to them. I slowly started to stop playing GW2 more and more over time during the Heart of Thorns expansion. Eventually I had to close it down as the consistent playerbase I had was dwindling to a dead guild because I was pretty much the only guy running the guild. I thought about trying to reform the guild from time to time during the summer however many of the veterans I knew and helped grow are either inactive or have joined a different guild. So I decided to join similar guilds but most of them weren't as dedicated as my guild was, ending up dead in a few months. It was a lot of fun but I will tell you this. Leading even a small successful guild can be a lot of work, taking up too much of your time and it will die in the end if you haven't planned ahead.

Well that was the Saga, from beginning to end, of the Wings of Free. Honestly, looking back at it now, I have no clue why I named my guild like that. Kind of wished I kept a roster, over a week, it's 10 to 20 players but over an year it's around 50 players. What they can't make up in numbers, they made up in their own monstrous strength alone. I could continue on with some scarce memories of my guild's adventures, but how about I hear some stories from you guys?

Last edited: Oct 15, 2018
  2. Reyzadren

Reyzadren Arid trainer

I play GW2 too, and I am a guild leader of a small guild in GW2 as well as other games. I don't have many massive stories to share, though of course I do keep memories of having fun with guild mates, held close to heart.

I have 1 thing to say though: Managing a small guild, is not the same as managing a big one. Both offers different and unique perspectives, and contains skillsets of which one can use in real life.

shoz999 likes this.