• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Modern metal anyone?

What is your favorite modern metal band?

• Five Finger Death Punch

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • Avenged Sevenfold

Votes: 2 15.4%
  • Bullet for my Valentine

• Sick Puppies

• Mudvayne

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Godsmack

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 8 61.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

~*Scyther*~

Well modern metal is probably my favorite genre and it also has a wide spectrum. some of my favorite bands in this category are Avenged sevenfold, Five finger death punch, godsmack, bullet for my valentine and sick puppies. I also like some heavy stuff like death clock and devil driver. So what are your favorite modern metal bands, songs or can you not stand it? Discuss :)

Hammerheart

Son of Wōden
Modern? There's only Five finger death punch on that list that formed within the last 10 years. (2005)
And somehow you managed to list every band on the poll in chronological descending order of year formed.

A7X 1999
Bullet 1998
Sick Puppies 1997
Mudvayne 1996
Godsmack 1995

However, this really doesn't need it's own thread. It can go in the metalheads thread. Even if most thread regulars don't like the band, if people still want to discuss it they can. To be honest I remember having 3 discussions going on simultaneously in there before.

iCakeify

Luxray Fanboy
Avenged Sevenfold? Metal? What?

I kinda like Static-X. I know they started -94, but they're still kinda modern.

~*Scyther*~

[
Modern? There's only Five finger death punch on that list that formed within the last 10 years. (2005)
And somehow you managed to list every band on the poll in chronological descending order of year formed.

A7X 1999
Bullet 1998
Sick Puppies 1997
Mudvayne 1996
Godsmack 1995

However, this really doesn't need it's own thread. It can go in the metalheads thread. Even if most thread regulars don't like the band, if people still want to discuss it they can. To be honest I remember having 3 discussions going on simultaneously in there before.

well by ,modern metal i meant currently releasing of new songs. and it is also new age metal etc. not like metallica or classic rock (which at the time was metal) like ozzy and motley crue. And I just though I would make this its own thread because I thought that there would be a part of serebii that would want to discuss modern(ish) metal with out being told that it isn't real metal.
QUOTE=iCakeify;14054092]Avenged Sevenfold? Metal? What?

I kinda like Static-X. I know they started -94, but they're still kinda modern.[/QUOTE]
Honestly I have never heard of them, but what ever you like :) I will look it up :D

@DragoniteA7x-lol I guessed it would be :p

~*Scyther*~

@~*Scyther*~ A7X foREVer. I love all the bands up there but Avenged Sevenfold is my obsession, besides I saw them live twice. Blew me away both times.

:O so envious! lol I wish I could see them live.... Well i am hoping my band makes it big and tour wth them :D doubt t but everyone has to hve a dream right? :p

Out of the options, Avenged Sevenfold.

But if I could pick any metalband that started making albums in the '00s, I would probably say Between the Buried and Me instead.

I have never heard of those bands but I will look them up. I know there is a llot couldn't put up but there is limited spce for the polls :(

This could go in the Metalhead thread like Hammerheart said but whatever.

Favorite band is Lamb of God, formed in 1994. New album, Resolution just came out today, it's amazing and my personal favorite.

Other bands; Bullet for my Valentine(1998), Children of Bodom(1993),Slipknot(1995), and All That Remains(1998).

Modern Metal really isn't an accurate title for this, considering many older bands still continue to release new material.

~*Scyther*~

Modern Metal really isn't an accurate title for this, considering many older bands still continue to release new material.

Yeah, I realize this now.... I meant like "new metal" not like old metal (ozzy, motley crue etc...) and not like black metal (emperor and so forth)

Yeah, I realize this now.... I meant like "new metal" not like old metal (ozzy, motley crue etc...) and not like black metal (emperor and so forth)

There are plenty of other genres of metal besides those. And to be honest, none of the bands you have listed really qualify as metal.

~*Scyther*~

Good luck. I am trying to learn guitar now but it's extremely hard on my fragile fingers.

Thnk you! When you first start learning guitar it kinda sucks because it hurts your fingers REALLY bad and it is hard to play things right. but eventually you develop calusis on your finger tips and it doesn't hurt anymore. When you start, try learning something relatively simple and is mostly on one string(like the beginning of Unforgiven by metallica. that was my first song) :)

There are plenty of other genres of metal besides those. And to be honest, none of the bands you have listed really qualify as metal.
Five finger death punch and bullet for my valentine are metal. but some things that are labeled metal on the CD's (such as 3 days grace and adelitas way) are definately not metal.

I like modern metal a lot, but saying Avenged Sevenfold and Sick puppies is metal, is just wrong, and most other bands you listed is Metalcore D: Anyways, BFMV is one of my all time favourite bands, and FFDP is also a really good bands =D

Zantera

I like modern metal a lot, but saying Avenged Sevenfold and Sick puppies is metal, is just wrong, and most other bands you listed is Metalcore D: Anyways, BFMV is one of my all time favourite bands, and FFDP is also a really good bands =D

How are Avenged Sevenfold not metal? Their first two albums might be more Metalcore, but since City of Evil and onward, I would classify them as Alternative/Heavy Metal. Sure they have a couple of softer tunes here and there, but many band's has that.

Hammerheart

Son of Wōden
[

well by ,modern metal i meant currently releasing of new songs. and it is also new age metal etc. not like metallica or classic rock (which at the time was metal) like ozzy and motley crue. And I just though I would make this its own thread because I thought that there would be a part of serebii that would want to discuss modern(ish) metal with out being told that it isn't real metal.
Currently releasing new songs seems an odd classifier. Bands like Maiden for example have constantly released songs since 1980, they've had 4 albums, 10 singles, and 6 live albums since the year 2000, yet they wouldn't fall under 'modern metal'
New Age metal seems an odd term to use. Are you familiar with the genre New Age? saying new age metal just makes it sound like a hybrid between the two genre's, which the bands in question couldn't sound less like.
Metallica have seemingly moved with the times though, with their last 4 or 5 albums being very evocative of mainstream metal at the time.
Classic rock is also a contentious term, what exactly makes rock into classic rock.
The problem with a lot of it is it just feels like a rock, or hardcore song fleshed out with a metal aesthetic. If you turned down the distortion, used less double bass, and clean vocals a lot of this so called 'modern metal' would just be rock at the end of the day. Different genre's of metal have certain structures, and techniques and other stylistic features that make it different to rock, however I think most fans of metal, who are really into it and the various subgenre's like black, death, doom, power etc can identify that the sort of band your calling modern metal are really just sheep's in wolves clothing for want of a better analogy.

Profesco

gone gently
Shame I missed this back when it was first posted. Modern metal discussion can be had in the Metal thread unless there is significant reason to differentiate the two topics (which it appears there isn't, judging by this thread).

Status
Not open for further replies.