• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Mohn and Lillie: A Reunion on the Tundra! (1200)

RafaSceptile

Actually forgot about this. Quick question were you hoping that Lillie caught Nihilego instead of Gladion?
Honestly I don't think it really matters, because I doubt it is gonna fight anyways. But imo, the best option was Mohn and then Lillie.

Sham

The Guardian of Ruin and Birth
Honestly I don't think it really matters, because I doubt it is gonna fight anyways. But imo, the best option was Mohn and then Lillie.
Yea agreed. I think Nihilego would of been a fitting conclusion to Lillie's arc but technically we just see Gladden holding on to it's ball and not necessarily using it so who knows.

Akkipeddi

All set to be a nice guy
It is not having "favoritism", but it is something that was potentially planned since the end of SM. And again, people ignore stuff like the TRio's 25th anniversary episode being delayed one week just for...reasons.
That's less to do with them favoring Serena and just JN hating on Team Rocket (they've been screwed over for the whole series). They tried to be super hush hush about that episode anyway and didn't promote Serena officially even once.

Evstike

Take me back to peak pokemon
Uhm no...? It's cause Tomiyasu used all the resources possible for this episode to look good instead of JN battles that mattered. Sure majority of the battles don't need to look excellent, but battles like Drasna and Raihan are not some run of the mill battles. They're essential to Ash and deserved better. Even the XY episodes didn't look good. Clemont looked eh and the less said about the Drasna battle the better.
Nobody will remember those battles when JN is over but this episode will go down in anipoke history. What a beautiful, touching, satisfying conclusion to this arc. Yeah, I was also left disappointed by the last few battles, but knowing it was all to make this possible has allowed me to accept the outcome.

Akkipeddi

All set to be a nice guy
Nobody will remember those battles when JN is over but this episode will go down in anipoke history. What a beautiful, touching, satisfying conclusion to this arc. Yeah, I was also left disappointed by the last few battles, but knowing it was all to make this possible has allowed me to accept the outcome.
I mean I don't know if I'd go to that extent lol, especially for people who never cared for the Aether Family. But still, you're telling me they produced rubbish after rubbish of animation quality just for this one episode (it's the best animated JN episode but still not XY or some SM tier). I'm sure they're capable of animating multiple decent episodes when spaced out, not just when it matters. That to me just screams that they can do it when they try, which they haven't for JN.

RafaSceptile

I mean I don't know if I'd go to that extent lol, especially for people who never cared for the Aether Family. But still, you're telling me they produced rubbish after rubbish of animation quality just for this one episode (it's the best animated JN episode but still not XY or some SM tier). I'm sure they're capable of animating multiple decent episodes when spaced out, not just when it matters. That to me just screams that they can do it when they try, which they haven't for JN.
I mean you really don't have to care about a character to recognize how good is an episode. Me and other people here didn't care at all about how Serena's character was in XY and we agreed that Serena's return was one of the best Journeys episode and probably the best one until this episode lol

Evstike

Maybe I was exaggerating a little haha, but due to budget and time constraints or whatever the hell is stopping them from doing whatever they did in XY to maintain a certain standard of quality all around, it would have come down to putting all their resources into a single episode like they did here, or giving us multiple half-assed episodes only slightly better in quality to what we got. I much prefer the first option. We've had a few battles with fairly good animation this series and we'll definitely be getting more with the M8 coming up so I appreciate them trying something different. It's the TR episode we should be blaming for wasting such fluidity and good character acting animation on the most mundane and forgettable scenes.

Akkipeddi

All set to be a nice guy
I mean you really don't have to care about a character to recognize how good is an episode. Me and other people here didn't care at all about how Serena's character was in XY and we agreed that Serena's return was one of the best Journeys episode and probably the best one until this episode lol
I recognise it as a good episode, not as this episode going down in "anipoke history". Anyway that was a joke by Evstike so it's not even a big deal.

RafaSceptile

I recognise it as a good episode, not as this episode going down in "anipoke history". Anyway that was a joke by Evstike so it's not even a big deal.
I think only people that cared about Lillie/liked SM like me will consider this as one of the best episodes in the anipoke's history like me again. But even if I wasn't a SM fan I would rate this as a 10/10. This is one of those episodes that are so emotionally powerful and can make people invested to cry that it deserves such a high rank.

Akkipeddi

All set to be a nice guy
I think only people that cared about Lillie/liked SM like me will consider this as one of the best episodes in the anipoke's history like me again. But even if I wasn't a SM fan I would rate this as a 10/10. This is one of those episodes that are so emotionally powerful and can make people invested to cry that it deserves such a high rank.
God forbid you watch Clannad if you think this is emotionally powerful to make you cry.

Evstike

Hey, I'm neither of those things (actually I consider the first year of SM to be peak anipoke before it all went downhill after that but that was before Lillie's plot really took off) and I absolutely loved everything about this episode. I wouldn't hesitate to call this one of my favourite episodes of all time. Judging by the overwhelmingly positive reception I've seen from SM fans and critics alike I'd say many others feel the same way.

Akkipeddi

All set to be a nice guy
We are talking about Pokémon standards, this is not Your Lie in April or something like that lol
Actually didn't cry for YLIA. YLIA, Angel Beats, Anohana and Clannad are the most well known "tear jerker" anime but Clannad was easily the best of the lot and the only one that affected me.

Last edited:

RLC

There is a difference between "this episode is half a filler because it doesn't address any JN plot" and "the staff has SM favoritism". The Mohn's plot is the only plot that was deliberately left open to address it later in comparison with any other character knowing that Lillie had the opportunity to "easily" return in Journeys.
It is not having "favoritism", but it is something that was potentially planned since the end of SM. And again, people ignore stuff like the TRio's 25th anniversary episode being delayed one week just for...reasons
"the staff has SM favoritism" comes up exactly because of "this episode is half a filler because it doesn't address any JN plot" argument which is why nobody had this favoritism complaint with XY. I am 10000000% sure if one of those XY character returns eps ONLY focused on the XY character ppl would call it out in a heartbeat.

Sham

The Guardian of Ruin and Birth
"the staff has SM favoritism" comes up exactly because of "this episode is half a filler because it doesn't address any JN plot" argument which is why nobody had this favoritism complaint with XY. I am 10000000% sure if one of those XY character returns eps ONLY focused on the XY character ppl would call it out in a heartbeat.
I’m not sure if I typed this in or not but…we don’t know how it effects Journey’s plot until next week. Technically one might say that this episode might serve as an incentive on why Chloe and Goh come with Ash to Alola since they just met Lillie.

Chloe’s Eevee is technically completing it’s chart by meeting it’s own species with Lana. I don’t think we can accurately judge what essentially seems like a two parter as “favoritism” because we don’t know how this connects to the main story or if Chloe, Ash and Goh actually being there influenced something about them in later episodes.

RafaSceptile

No other character return was potentially planned to appear with such a long time like Lillie was (in part because SM was the last series and they already knew she could appear, so this plot was left open). This means they have a longer time to plan how this episode was supposed to be.

Additionally, Tomiyasu is probably more famirialized with this kind of episode. There is a reason why Aya Matsui was part of the staff of this episode as well. And yes, Aya Matsui did it again, similar to SM108.

Dragonsoldier77

Bittersweet Satisfaction
Like why would people remember a battle that wasn’t even good in the first place? People don’t remember stuff on wheter it’s artsy or not, but if the execution was good enough to be remembered.

What kind of logic is this even?

LucasMV

While it's true we all wish this kind of episode to be the norm instead of an exception, it's weird to me how some people seem to be complaining about this episode being too good. Like it's not important enough to deserve this level of care and animation.

This is just as important as any of Goh's Project Mew and Ash's PWC episodes. It's not filler just because it's not related to one of the only two plot points JN has. It ties to a previous series plot point, a previous MC's goal, it closes an entire storyline.

I get the feeling some complain about them choosing to spend resources to make this episode better than average just because "they didn't spend them where I wanted them to". Well, I'm sure their resources are limited, so they can't please everyone. This episode's plot has been in the making since SM ended, whereas the other character returns were most likely done with much shorter time frames. It's only natural an episode like this would get a bit more attention.

I agree animation for Ash's battles has been underwhelming, with a few exceptions. But, if anything, this episode looking as good as it did and having above average writing gave me hope that they can deliver higher quality episodes for Journey's climax, including better animation for Ash's final battles. I'm not naive enough to expect it to change drastically, but after this episode I'd be surprised if the quality didn't match this episode's for this series climax moments.

I feel that's better than being bitter that it didn't happen before, in whatever episode your favorite character was in.

Last edited:

RafaSceptile

While it's true we all wish this kind of episode to be the norm instead of an exception, it's weird to me how some people seem to be complaining about this episode being too good. Like it's not important enough to deserve this level of care and animation.

This is just as important as any of Goh's Project Mew and Ash's PWC episodes. It's not filler just because it's not related to one of the only two plot points JN has. It ties to a previous series plot point, a previous MC's goal, it closes an entire storyline.

I get the feeling some complain about them choosing to spend resources to make this episode better than average just because "they didn't spend them where I wanted them to". Well, I'm sure their resources are limited, so they can't please everyone. This episode's plot has been in the making since SM ended, whereas the other character returns were most likely done with much shorter timeframes. It's only natural an episode like this would get a bit more attention.

I agree animation for Ash's battles has been underwhelming, with a few exceptions. But, if anything, this episode looking as good as it did and having above average writing gave me hope that they can deliver higher quality episodes for Journey's climax, including better animation for Ash's final battles. I'm not naive enough to expect it to change drastically, but after this episode I'd be surprised if the quality didn't match this episode's for this series climax moments.

I feel that's better than being bitter that it didn't happen before, in whatever episode your favorite character was in.
Also people usually forgot how hard it is to make a battling episode in order to make a memorable one in comparison to a non-battling one.

For example, not matter what kind of magic they put in Ash vs Drasna or Ash vs Raihan, they are guaranteed to not be as memorable as the big standard of a "perfect" battle which is Ash vs Paul in the Sinnoh League, or its closest competition which is Ash vs Kukui.

Meanwhile, which episodes were the most universally acclaimed no-battling episodes? Legit question.
This episode had a bigger development time (probably since the last year of SM) with the experience of Tomiyasu and Aya Matsui. I am not surprised about how good this episode is and I wouldn't be surprised if people consider it one of the best episodes of the Pokémon Anime.

Last edited: