• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Mohn and Lillie: A Reunion on the Tundra! (1200)

mehmeh1

Not thinking twice!
Ash vs Visquez is probably to this date the best animated battle of Journeys.
Tho tbh that and ep 2 were definitely outliers. Even back then most ones were just ok, not as good on average as XY/SM's animation. I hope we get some insight on what happened to production between SM and JN. Tho SM's also went downhill year 2,but went back up year 3

mehmeh1

Not thinking twice!
It matters because the production of a kodomo anime that only takes some elements of the games (and Journeys not even that most of the time) vs a shounen anime that is mostly based on an ongoing manga are different.
Tho what about Digimon 2020? I remember its animation being praised. It's technically not long-running but it was still a full year-long series with no breaks, so it wasn't a seasonal either

RafaSceptile

Tho tbh that and ep 2 were definitely outliers. Even back then most ones were just ok, not as good on average as XY/SM's animation. Tbh I hope we get some insight on what happened to production between SM and JN. Tho tbh SM's also went downhill year 2,but went back up year 3
Iirc at the end of SM's second year we had the timeslot change from Thursday to Sundays. Maybe the staff knew this weeks before and it affected the production of the episodes during that time. That also could explain why SM's year 2 feels meh in comparison to year 1 and year 3.

mehmeh1

Not thinking twice!
Iirc at the end of SM's second year we had the timeslot change from Thursday to Sundays. Maybe the staff knew this weeks before and it affected the production of the episodes during that time. That also could explain why SM's year 2 feels meh in comparison to year 1 and year 3.
I mean year 2's animation wasn't anywhere as good as year 1's even from the start, not even right before the schedule change (plus that's a channel thing, not a studio thing)

RafaSceptile

Tho what about Digimon 2020? I remember its animation being praised. It's technically not long-running but it was still a full year-long series with no breaks, so it wasn't a seasonal either
Digimon 2020 ended in September 2020 so it is possible that more than 50% of the series was done or at least in production when Japan entered in lockdown in March 2020.

Akkipeddi

All set to be a nice guy
Yes, they are not the same because the production of its genres are not necessary the same.
Adapting from the manga helps Toei with the storyboards but they still need to animate from scratch which is what is being talked about here. Also I don't get your production claim here. Are you suggesting that because Toei adapts OP, somehow a direct anime adaptation of the manga means better production? Cause that's faaaar from the truth. There's more cases of anime failing to adapt the manga than successful ones. 7DS, Berserk, MHA S4 onwards, Tokyo Ghoul are some examples of poor anime adaptations of manga.

Last edited:

RafaSceptile

Adapting from the manga helps Toei with the storyboards but they still need to animate from scratch which is what is being talked about here.
I am talking about the overall product because animation is not the only thing that matters in a battle, and imo not the most important one. Story is what makes battles like Ash vs Paul or Ash vs Kukui the best ones in comparison to someone like Ash vs Alain.

RafaSceptile

Adapting from the manga helps Toei with the storyboards but they still need to animate from scratch which is what is being talked about here. Also I don't get your production claim here. Are you suggesting that because Toei adapts OP, somehow a direct anime adaptation of the manga means better production? Cause that's faaaar from the truth. There's more cases of anime failing to adapt the manga than successful ones. 7DS, Berserk, MHA S4 onwards, Tokyo Ghoul are some examples of poor anime adaptations of manga.
I suggest that the production is not necessary the same, so they are not fully comparable, because of those differences.

janejane6178

Kaleido Star FOREVER in my heart <3
I think I’m the only one that noticed how they fixed Lillie’s face in Journeys. Look at her face in the sm flashback in the recent ep and u will see how her eyes were too small and close to each other. Couldn’t stand that in sm

RafaSceptile

I think I’m the only one that noticed how they fixed Lillie’s face in Journeys. Look at her face in the sm flashback in the recent ep and u will see how her eyes were too small and close to each other. Couldn’t stand that in sm
Well yes you are the only one that noticed it because:
  1. We already knew Lillie's JN design since JN037, and
  2. Everyone else was looking at how beautiful the story of this episode was
Anyways can we move this thread to the SM threads where it belongs? Thanks

Dragonsoldier77

Bittersweet Satisfaction
I suggest that the production is not necessary the same, so they are not fully comparable, because of those differences.
The only thing that would be different is that the story is already written (when kot doing extra stuff) and that the manga can serve as a first draft of the storyboard, because it’s not like manga and animation are 1:1 either. Pokemon for the most part takes from the games and doesn’t start from scratch either. Characters, pokemon, location, are taken from the games. It’s story is nothing special and pretty bare bones and not anything special, nobody expects otherwise and doesn’t really matter when we’re talking about animation here .But then for one piece that’s done by oda alone on a weekly basis (well mostly). I would think a team of writers and story boarder can at least match one person’s work as a first draft for the storyboard when not doing something as complex.

That said, even implying that one piece has the quality it has now is just because oda provides a base to work from feels like a disservice to how much the anime team has lift the source material to even greater heights. Something like one piece 1015 is so highly praised because the team put the effort in making something much more low key and raised it up to an extraordinary degree by adding stuff that makes it resonate much more. This is all on top of the stellar animation that was bonkers on a technical level, and all would’ve had to be made from scratch like any other animation on any other show.

Of course the OP team are doing all that under the same extrernal condition as everyone else. So i don’t think there’s any excuse why pokemon can’t be compared with one piece when they’re made under the same schedule.

Akkipeddi

All set to be a nice guy
The only thing that would be different is that the story is already written (when kot doing extra stuff) and that the manga can serve as a first draft of the storyboard, because it’s not like manga and animation are 1:1 either. Pokemon for the most part takes from the games and doesn’t start from scratch either. Characters, pokemon, location, are taken from the games. It’s story is nothing special and pretty bare bones and not anything special, nobody expects otherwise and doesn’t really matter when we’re talking about animation here .But then for one piece that’s done by oda alone on a weekly basis (well mostly). I would think a team of writers and story boarder can at least match one person’s work as a first draft for the storyboard when not doing something as complex.

That said, even implying that one piece has the quality it has now is just because oda provides a base to work from feels like a disservice to how much the anime team has lift the source material to even greater heights. Something like one piece 1015 is so highly praised because the team put the effort in making something much more low key and raised it up to an extraordinary degree by adding stuff that makes it resonate much more. This is all on top of the stellar animation that was bonkers on a technical level, and all would’ve had to be made from scratch like any other animation on any other show.
I love this point especially. Simply suggesting that just because the source material already exists is a huge disservice to the anime team that go beyond. I think the most famous example of this would be HxH 2011. With 148 episodes, it was basically equivalent of a full 3 year Pokémon series (without any filler either). Togashi's storytelling was good no doubt, but it's clear Madhouse brought his work to the next level with the OST, animation, etc. I'd argue adapting a manga is harder than what Pokémon is doing since it only loosely takes on elements from the games. Otherwise it does its own thing. Anime adaptations often have to stick to the manga material in ways to not ruin the scene and lose meaning, and manga readers can be extremely picky over how anime adapt manga panels.