• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Moment of truth: Black and White or Sun and Moon?

Which series do you like the best?

• SM

Votes: 39 50.6%
  • BW

Votes: 38 49.4%

• Total voters

ash&charizardfan

Humans are tools
She was good but I don't think anybody else except Lillie got decent character development, if at all.

I thught kiawe was also fine and handled well but lillie was definitely handled the best out of the lot.

Bortgreen

Captain Pikachu is EPIC
SM for me
Black and White tried to go the journey and battles route, but didn't manage to be as good as the others with this formula.
Sun and Moon tried something else at least and I feel like the characters and region are more interesting even with not much development

Last edited:

CMButch

Kanto is love. Kanto is life.
Aso for rivals BW rivals were all joke, trip lost in first round all the times, bianca was more of a gag member and stephan was decent rival and gave ne of the best battles of BW while georgia was a deent rival while burgundy was straight annoying besides are you forgetting about hau he is also a rival for ash and you can also count royal mask incineroar as rival for torracat, so i do put SM as one step above BW. Also attact was used to much in BW like 2-3 times in gyms and even in unnova league, okay maybe BW standard of battle was higher than SM but it as only little higher.
Johto>Unnova>Alola>Kanto
So what if Trip lost in first rounds? Obviously because of Gurdurr/Conckeldurr. When he used Serperior in JC he won. Also, he lost in first round in league because of Ash. If he battled anyone else he would've won.Trip is better than Hau. Hau is a rival that appeared two times.Sure Cameron appeared 2-3 times but at least Cameron had energy unlike Hau. Bianca being gag matter doesn't matter it shows variety in rivals. Burgundy was meh, still better than Sophocles' rival. That's why Gladion is quality of 3 rivals while BW had 5-6 less quality rivals but combined it's like 2 Gladions. Lol.

Leonhart

Imagineer
I prefer BW over SM simply because it had a smaller cast, so things didn't feel as overcrowded as they do now. BW also had tournament mini-arcs and interesting Rocket-dan schemes. But SM has better animation and better filler episodes for the most part.

ash&charizardfan

Humans are tools
So what if Trip lost in first rounds? Obviously because of Gurdurr/Conckeldurr. When he used Serperior in JC he won. Also, he lost in first round in league because of Ash. If he battled anyone else he would've won.Trip is better than Hau. Hau is a rival that appeared two times.Sure Cameron appeared 2-3 times but at least Cameron had energy unlike Hau. Bianca being gag matter doesn't matter it shows variety in rivals. Burgundy was meh, still better than Sophocles' rival. That's why Gladion is quality of 3 rivals while BW had 5-6 less quality rivals but combined it's like 2 Gladions. Lol.

No lol cameron is baically the worst thing ever happened in pokemon, i dont even like to put him as rival he was more of a dream crusher hau definitely is lot better than him, i would put stephan as ash's best rival in unnova, trip lost to cilan and bianca he lost way too much to be consddered as top rival. SM may have less rivals but at least gladion is singlehandidly carrying the rivalry i would prefer one good rival over 5-6 mediocre rivals that was in BW. Still due to georgia i would say rivals in both series are on par with each other.

CMButch

Kanto is love. Kanto is life.
No lol cameron is baically the worst thing ever happened in pokemon, i dont even like to put him as rival he was more of a dream crusher hau definitely is lot better than him, i would put stephan as ash's best rival in unnova, trip lost to cilan and bianca he lost way too much to be consddered as top rival. SM may have less rivals but at least gladion is singlehandidly carrying the rivalry i would prefer one good rival over 5-6 mediocre rivals that was in BW. Still due to georgia i would say rivals in both series are on par with each other.
Lmao, isn't Alain also dream crusher? Alain is also good rival, better than Hau.Also, isn't technically Hau dream crusher? I mean he "defeated" Ash. Alain > Cameron > Hau. Hau could've been better if he appeared more.
Sawyer also lost to Ash multiple times yet he's the best rival in XY, I mean I don't see rivals through victories. If we do; Trip won JC so all his losses are kinda impugned. I also prefer one good rival over 6 weak ones, but still those 6 as said kinda are like 2 Gladions, so they're not mediocre. BTW; if 6 rivals in BW are like 2 Gladions how much is Paul( the best rival) worth? I'd say Paul is like 2 Gladions. Lol

ash&charizardfan

Humans are tools
Lmao, isn't Alain also dream crusher? Alain is also good rival, better than Hau.Also, isn't technically Hau dream crusher? I mean he "defeated" Ash. Alain > Cameron > Hau. Hau could've been better if he appeared more.
Sawyer also lost to Ash multiple times yet he's the best rival in XY, I mean I don't see rivals through victories. If we do; Trip won JC so all his losses are kinda impugned. I also prefer one good rival over 6 weak ones, but still those 6 as said kinda are like 2 Gladions, so they're not mediocre. BTW; if 6 rivals in BW are like 2 Gladions how much is Paul( the best rival) worth? I'd say Paul is like 2 Gladions. Lol

I would never consider trip to be a good rival he may have attitude t be a good rivl but he was handled very poorly, alain was a dream crusher but was handled fine even if he beat ash in the finals he was treated as bigger mountain for ash to climb just like paul and gary. Sawyer was a different rival with ash acting as mentor figure who came close to beating his coach. As for cameron he is the waste of a character and even wasted as a rival.

Doppelgänger

Superancient Member
Rather than make it Hau v. Alain, Decidueye and Rowlet are better rivals than Charizard and Greninja. Both Decidueye and Rowlet decided to train and get stronger to beat one another. There was mutual motivation and both Pokemon had equal records against each other.

Alain's Charizard stomped Greninja and basically every other Pokemon he battled against. There was nothing special about that relationship with Greninja. Sawyer's Sceptile was a better rival since, while he was younger and stood in the shadow of Greninja, he did win once when Greninja was struggling, and got stronger in response to Greninja's presence.

mehmeh1

Not thinking twice!
Rather than make it Hau v. Alain, Decidueye and Rowlet are better rivals than Charizard and Greninja. Both Decidueye and Rowlet decided to train and get stronger to beat one another. There was mutual motivation and both Pokemon had equal records against each other.

Alain's Charizard stomped Greninja and basically every other Pokemon he battled against. There was nothing special about that relationship with Greninja. Sawyer's Sceptile was a better rival since, while he was younger and stood in the shadow of Greninja, he did win once when Greninja was struggling, and got stronger in response to Greninja's presence.
AG vs MCX round 2 was unconcluded, not a stomp, while round 3 was an even fight with both pokemon doing heavy damage every blow (seriously, see charizard's face when greninja aerial ace axe kicks him, it's priceless)

UltimateNinja

Praying for the holy relics
I found both of them to be an absolute mess. At first I thought SM's definitely going to be the better one of those two a couple months ago. But SM dissappointed me in the last year and now I think the gap between these two isn't that big. SM isn't as bad as BW, but more dissappointing.

janejane6178

Kaleido Star FOREVER in my heart <3
SM has lots of flaws but I think it flows better because of the cast having so much in common with each other unlike in Black & White where Ash, Iris and Cilan seemed like an odd grouping of characters.
I actually liked the chemistry between my Iris, Ash and Cilan.
For the topic - prefer BW ofc

ash&charizardfan

Humans are tools
Charizard had already taken heavy damage from Pikachu, so the two Pokemon were not equals. The battle wasn't even, either - Greninja was dominating Charizard for most of the fight, taking minimal damage from a lone Dragon Claw and outright blocking Blast Burn with an ordinary Water Shuriken.

The outcome doesn't make sense and changes the narrative completely. What was portrayed as "domination" was actually unimpressive damage. Charizard won with two moves and wasn't hurt, so to me that that is unquestionably a stomp.

Lol no there second battle ws hardly any stomp, and as for there last mtch pikachu was only able to put little damage to charizard in its base form, greninja was able to push MCX to its limits, calling it a stomp is a delusion and nothing else.

Lunalah

Sun and Moon has been worse by a small margin because it has had more wtf moments during battles like during Ash vs. Hau and Ash vs. Hapu. There are probably more deus ex machina wins as well but I can't remember them all.

TheWanderingMist

Paladin of the Snow Queen
Ah, this is easy, SM.

Ash went too dense in BW, and they tried but failed to recreate the Ash-Brock-Misty dynamic that existed in OS.

SM is the most fun I've had watching the anime in years.

Ryu Taylor

Unwavering beliefs. Richter Taylor is my name now.
Even though BW wasn't bad, I'm siding with SM. It did more things right than BW and any other saga did.

DuquÊ?

Too lazy to pick a pic
Honestly, I won't discourse anything more elaborated to justify. SM anyday. Simple. And it's not even my favorite show.

BW was disgusting.