1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Monai Region Gym Leaders

Discussion in 'Fan Sprites' started by UmbreonRob, May 12, 2006.

1. UmbreonRob

UmbreonRob Boulder Trainer

The Monai Region is a project I have been working on for a little while now.
    [​IMG]
    The Monai Regoin consists of the mainland and a series of islands. The region has every kind of environment chock full of unique pokemon. The starter town is Black Pine City which is found on the west coast of the mainland. Unlike the games the starter town in Monai is a moderately sized city not a little town with two houses and a lab.

Here are some of the gym leaders i've made sprites for so far.

[​IMG] Orville
    Rook Town Gym Leader in a run down airplane hanger specializing in flying pokemon. Beating him gets you the Glide Badge.
    SIDE NOTE: When you defeat his brother Wilbur (who uses much more powerful Flying type pokemon at the Hawkitt City Gym) you will be able to fly back and forth between Rook Town and Hawkitt City which is on an island with two other cities.
    [​IMG] Niome
    Cape Seabreeze Gym Leader specializing in ground/water pokemon. Beating her gets you the Scale Badge.
    [​IMG] Craig
    Canyonpass Town Gym Leader specializing in fossil pokemon. Beating him gets you the Erosion Badge.
    SIDE NOTE: i decided to give all the pokemon that are regenerated from fossils a Fossil Type designation since none of them actually have any rock type moves or abilities.
    [​IMG] Tess
    Illume City Gym Leader specializing in electric type pokemon. Beating her gets you the Shock Badge.
    [​IMG] Nathan
    I haven't thought up a name for the city he's in but he secializes in bug pokemon. Beating him gets you the Swarm Badge.
    [​IMG] Amanda
    I haven't thought up a name for the city she's in but he secializes in fighting pokemon. Beating her gets you the Dueling Badge.
    [​IMG] Doctor Joy
    Central City Gym Leader specializing in poison pokemon. Beating her gets you the Venom Badge.
    SIDE NOTE: I got tired of seeing a million Nurse Joys and figured there had to be at least one Joy that wanted to be more than just a nurse.
    [​IMG] Shar
    Gym Leader at the Mt. Froston Ski Resort who specializes in ice pokemon. Beating her gets you the Cornice Badge.
    [​IMG] Morton
    Gym Leader at the Amaranthine Cemetery in a converted mousoleum who specializes in ghost pokemon (obviously). Beating him gets you the Eternity Badge.

Here is also the leader of the evil group of the region.
    [​IMG] This is Vincenzo aka 'Don Vino'. He's the leader of the mafia ring known as 'The Syndicate'.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2006
  2. NIce sprites. I bet Don Vito was made from Giovanni.

3. zuloon

zuloon Bboy Zuloon

Nice...do you have a website or anything?

4. UmbreonRob

thanks! i actually made Don Vino from the fat sailor trainer and altered the clothes to look like Giovanni's. he looks like he would be in the mafia with the nice suit.

5. ex-ty

ex-ty Swift and deadly

Don Vino is *puts on mafia style accent* the god father of sprites. :D . But seriously they're all pretty good.

6. Kim and Kam Fan

Kim and Kam Fan Huge Anabel Fan

Those are awseome,I wish i can even make sprites

7. Kinginsoar

Kinginsoar Advanced Spriter

Wow! How'd you make these? They're awesome! I like the 2nd gym leader, she looks pretty.

8. DanK84

DanK84 Manyula Trainer

Very nice! Vincenzo is awesome!

9. Psychic

Psychic Really and truly Staff Member Moderator

Wow, those are really amazing! I must say I'm impressed!

Not only are the sprites really awesome, but I like the little bits of information you provided for each one (along with original names for the towns and badges). They're all very well thought-out, and extremely original. I mean, how many people ever imagine a Nurse Joy being anything more than a nurse, training Pokémon, and Poison ones at that! It's also interesting that one Gym Leader runs a Ski Resort, and another runs a cemetery! (Mortan reminds me of a character from a tv show...I'm not quite sure which one, though I don't think he looked quite as...sinister.) And I also like that you had an evil organization in the region, which is usually overdone and cliché, but you managed to make it different and still very interesting- I have yet to see any mafia ring in any part of the Pokémon well world! Kudos for the originality on that and all the other Leaders!

Now, the sprites themselves...again, they're very well-done, and I can't really find anything wrong with them. Normally, I would point out that you should be using black outlines (as all Pokémon-style sprites have) however you did an amazing job without them, and I now that I look at them, I think that giving them any black outlines would ruin them. *very impressed*
    Only thing I can thing of is the shading on Vincenzo isn't great, not entirely sure why, but it's just not very good. His clothing is great, and I like the extra touch of the cigar (I've never seen a Pokémon sprite holding one of those before!) and the entire head was well-done. Yet somehow, the shading on his clothing is just...off.
    And also, though the clothing on Shar is really good, I don't quite think it's appropriate for skiing, or at least for someone who skies. o_O
    Oh, and I have to say that Orville's clothing and pose is perfect for a Flying-type Leader.

So all I can really say is that these are really, truly amazing, and I'd love to see more from you!

Keep up the terrific work! ^^
    ~Psychic

10. UmbreonRob

Thank you all for the praise on my sprites. i really appreciate it. It took me a while to get these completed. i have to say that the second one Niome is my favorite by far even if she wasnt the most complicated to make. for Morton i was going for the classic undertaker image - the tall skinny creepy guy with the long white hair. the first one was the most difficult since hes not just standing there like the others and took a lot of trial and error before i get it right.

i should note that my Monai Project has a total of twenty gyms and gym leaders in three levels of difficulty so there will be more as time goes on. and i'll update the thread periodically.

11. .Bambi.

.Bambi. Be Wise, Tell Lies.

Yeah for made-up Gym Leaders! 8D

It's good to see Nurse Joy be something besides a pushover who heals your Pokemon. But why does she wield the Poison type? That seems a tad...dark for her. I always saw her as a Normal type trainer. With Chansey and all...

Overall, they all look proportionate and well shaded. Great job.

12. Zero Nexus

Zero Nexus Stand up, go for it

holy jumpin' crap! they are great! love the vinchenzo!

13. UmbreonRob

i pick Joy to have poison pokemon for a reason. as a doctor she would deal with healing those who are poisoned by pokemon so she would use hers to develop anti-venoms and other things to help.

If anyone is interested here is another thread i had started a little while ago that shows some of my custom pokemon sprites - Umbreon's Sprite Thread

Last edited: May 15, 2006
  14. UmbreonRob

I just wanted to mention that i am going to update my gym leaders by adding in their mini sprites and badge soon

15. Omega Pirate

Omega Pirate shove it up ya bum!

Are these completely scratch? If they aren't I can't figure out what trainers you've used.

16. UmbreonRob

Everyone meet Nathan [​IMG] the newest addition to my gym leaders. He deals in bug type pokemon and gives out the Hive Badge. I gave him the two hairs sticking up on purpose to be like bug antennae but i didnt want it to be too obvious. of course pointing it out don't help. lol

Here are the mini sprites of me, the gym leaders in order, and Don Vino.
    [​IMG]
    They've all been added to the list at the beginning.

The sprites are not complete scratches like my pokemon sprites. they are more like patchworks with small bits of trainers added together and altered accordingly to get them just right.

it just hit me that the mini sprites are overworlds. duh.

Last edited: May 19, 2006
  17. UmbreonRob

the little colored bars under the overworld sprites of each gym leader just shows what of pokemon they use. i just didnt feel like removing them when i uploaded the sprites.

18. UmbreonRob

Ive been offline for a little while but that time was not wasted. Here are my latest additions:

[​IMG] Craig
    Canyonpass Town Gym Leader specializing in fossil pokemon. Beating him gets you the Erosion Badge.
    SIDE NOTE: i decided to give all the pokemon that are regenerated from fossils a Fossil Type designation since none of them actually have any rock type moves or abilities.
    [​IMG] Tess
    Illume City Gym Leader specializing in electric type pokemon. Beating her gets you the Shock Badge.
    [​IMG] Amanda
    I haven't thought up a name for the city she's in but he secializes in fighting pokemon. Beating her gets you the Dueling Badge.

19. Raicune

Raicune Run or you're lunch.

It's great but there already is a hive badge and every fossil pokemon learns ancientpower which is a ROCK MOVE

20. Dean

Dean Wonder of Thunder!

The Nurse Joy leader should have Normal pokemon or Psychic pokemon. I mean know offense, but nurse joy wouldn't really use poison pokemon.