• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Monday: Pokémon X & Y - US Gengar & Diancie Events

S

SerebiiBot

Serebii.net has just updated with this:

More...

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
I was wondering when we were getting Diancie, but I didn't expect us to get the Gengar. That's great though, the U.S. could always use more events.

Trevenant

Banned
We're getting Diancie so long before the movie? That's kind of weird. Cool though.
Massive shame it's serial codes, though, and even bigger shame it's GameStop who often require you to make purchases in order to get said codes, then you have to deal with their lovely employees...

Oh well. At least I can actually get these by trading for a serial code or something. Nintendo did somethings right today!

I wonder if the JPN Diancie will trigger the Diancite appearing in OR/AS as well?

Last edited:
That's odd Trevenant, I have never had that experience going into a gamestop for a code. I was actually just in my gamestop last week to get the Pinsirite code and they gave it to me no problem. The display in the store even said "No purchase necessary". Gamestop isn't always great, and obviously a generic wifi event would be preferred, but for those of us who live not too far from a gamestop, it isn't that bad.

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
I'd honestly rather have serial codes than nothing at all. Although it does kind of bother me that I have to go up and ask them for the download code so that they can pester me into preordering ORAS instead of just going in the store and downloading the event without having to interact with anybody.

PKMNOriginsRed

Pokemon Trainer
Shiny Gengar I wasn't expecting, I'm glad we have a set date for Diancie now, looking forward to getting it :D

PKMNOriginsRed

Pokemon Trainer

Crash & Charm

Back I guess
Dancie is on my birthday oct. 13th!!!!!! I is so happy

SmartD

Pretty cool that the Shiny Mega Gengar and Diancie events are coming out soon. The only thing that bothers me is that they start on a Monday. Wouldn't it make sense to start the events on the weekends since kids mainly play the game and they have to go to school on Monday?

From another perspective, gamestop must see preorder and sales bumps from these events, which means they might put the pressure on GF to continue rolling out events, and that is a very good thing.

Trevenant

Banned
That's odd Trevenant, I have never had that experience going into a gamestop for a code. I was actually just in my gamestop last week to get the Pinsirite code and they gave it to me no problem. The display in the store even said "No purchase necessary". Gamestop isn't always great, and obviously a generic wifi event would be preferred, but for those of us who live not too far from a gamestop, it isn't that bad.
Some GameStops aren't bad, though it's very rare. The ones in the south are generally awful.
There's another type of in-store event too, like the ones we had for Gen 4/5 where it was an access point in the store but those seem to be gone sadly.

IIRC most of the stores for the UK events have also forced purchases for a code.

I'd honestly rather have serial codes than nothing at all. Although it does kind of bother me that I have to go up and ask them for the download code so that they can pester me into preordering ORAS instead of just going in the store and downloading the event without having to interact with anybody.
This is another problem... we shouldn't ever have to be in such a lousy position as to say we'll accept scraps instead of nothing at all. But we're getting two events in America next month, so I guess it isn't all bad.... even if it IS GameStop...

From another perspective, gamestop must see preorder and sales bumps from these events, which means they might put the pressure on GF to continue rolling out events, and that is a very good thing.
They did events during Gen 4/5 too, what changed? Why was there a push for serial codes?

My main concern is aside from being forced to make a purchase in a lot of GameStops, there's a very real chance they've ran out of codes due to their limited nature. Local downloads from download play/however they were obtained in Gen 4/5? Infinite.

Regardless, despite any shortcomings (and with GameStop there is a lot), this is a very good thing. We're getting real events finally. I refuse to give GameStop any sales due to the fact that every single one nearby is the stereotyped awful ones, so I won't be participating in it, though trading for said serial codes online is easy to do so I'll do that.

Last edited:

BCVM22

which means they might put the pressure on GF to continue rolling out events, and that is a very good thing.

You can be assured that GameStop has no contact whatsoever with Game Freak and is in no position at all to "put pressure" on them.

Serebii

And, as if by magic, the webmaster appeared...
Staff member
Admin
Some GameStops aren't bad, though it's very rare. The ones in the south are generally awful.
There's another type of in-store event too, like the ones we had for Gen 4/5 where it was an access point in the store but those seem to be gone sadly.

IIRC most of the stores for the UK events have also forced purchases for a code.

You are mistaken. Very few did and when I got reports of ones that did, they were reported and it stopped

They did events during Gen 4/5 too, what changed? Why was there a push for serial codes?

My main concern is aside from being forced to make a purchase in a lot of GameStops, there's a very real chance they've ran out of codes due to their limited nature. Local downloads from download play/however they were obtained in Gen 4/5? Infinite.

Because

a) People weren't actually going to the events. They were sitting out as far away as they could in order to try to download it. This is contrary to the entire point of events
b) Workers in stores kept not returning the distribution cards so they could sell them.

Trevenant

Banned
You are mistaken. Very few did and when I got reports of ones that did, they were reported and it stopped.
Except many, many stores never ended up reconciling. You're citing a few that claimed to have "stopped" as evidence that GameStop is even remotely respectable. They aren't.

Because

a) People weren't actually going to the events. They were sitting out as far away as they could in order to try to download it. This is contrary to the entire point of events
b) Workers in stores kept not returning the distribution cards so they could sell them.
a) And what's the difference between that and going in the store making no actual purchase but having to deal with someone who is very likely going to give you a hard time? The answer is... none. If you weren't going to make a purchase regardless then it doesn't matter if you have to deal with people or get it from a parking lot.

b) Quit using GameStop then? We're talking about the company that openly allows employees to hoard copies of popular, low-supply games for employees and you can see the copies behind the counter but they'll refuse to sell them, gut "new" copies of games for any download codes or anything and still sell it as new, have a section of "used" games that can contain bootlegs, and if you return a bootleg they gave you it goes back to said section, and other things.

Why not Toys'RUs or something? If they've had too many problems with GameStop why keep using them? Punish the bad stores. Not the fans.
America needs more events. This is a good start. Both being GameStop of all places... no. That's not good. The real "event" for a GameStop one is when you find the one store in the country that isn't going to make it a hassle to get your code(s).

Serebii

And, as if by magic, the webmaster appeared...
Staff member
Admin
Except many, many stores never ended up reconciling. You're citing a few that claimed to have "stopped" as evidence that GameStop is even remotely respectable. They aren't.

a) And what's the difference between that and going in the store making no actual purchase but having to deal with someone who is very likely going to give you a hard time? The answer is... none. If you weren't going to make a purchase regardless then it doesn't matter if you have to deal with people or get it from a parking lot.

b) Quit using GameStop then? We're talking about the company that openly allows employees to hoard copies of popular, low-supply games for employees and you can see the copies behind the counter but they'll refuse to sell them, gut "new" copies of games for any download codes or anything and still sell it as new, have a section of "used" games that can contain bootlegs, and if you return a bootleg they gave you it goes back to said section, and other things.

Why not Toys'RUs or something? If they've had too many problems with GameStop why keep using them? Punish the bad stores. Not the fans.
America needs more events. This is a good start. Both being GameStop of all places... no. That's not good. The real "event" for a GameStop one is when you find the one store in the country that isn't going to make it a hassle to get your code(s).

a) You're missing the point of events.
b) It didn't just happen at Gamestop. It was a common thing happening wherever there was a distribution outside of Japan. It was getting ridiculous. It was not a Gamestop only thing. Now they have an alternative, and that's how things will stay. Accept it

BCVM22

Why not Toys'RUs or something? If they've had too many problems with GameStop why keep using them?

Toys 'R Us operates several hundred locations in the United States and Canada. GameStop operates somewhere on the order of a few thousand, and most of those are mall/shopping center locations.

ellie

Δ
Staff member
Admin
complain to corporate if someone is still doing it when theyre not supposed to. seriously. as someone who worked retail and who had a few coworkers who worked at gs before working at my store, if corporate catches wind of you doing something youre not supposed to you learn veryyyyyy quickly not to do it again.

because forcing people to go into the store greatly increases the chance that you will see something you like and buy something... seriously this is retail 101 here. it may not work on you specifically but it works on a lot of people.

toys r us is not nearly as widespread. ive lived in two different cities and neither one had a TRU, both had two gamestops. where i live right now there is one TRU within about a 50 mile radius and theres at least six gamestops in that same radius. it might not be a big issue for someone with a car but for a kid or someone without a car it's a huge hassle.

edit:
Toys 'R Us operates several hundred locations in the United States and Canada. GameStop operates somewhere on the order of a few thousand, and most of those are mall/shopping center locations.
this too. it's much easier for the kid to go to the mall/shopping center with mom or dad and spend 5 minutes in gamestop to get their code then after they go to macys or nordstrom or wherever they go for their normal shopping, but most TRUs are the anchor store of a shopping center and won't have as many other destinations. i know my own TRU has only a few small independent stores in its center because it's the anchor. wheras gamestop is much smaller and either has a massive shopping mall with hundreds of stores or is in a shopping center with OSH, CVS, safeway, starbucks, and several other stores. which one sounds more likely that a parent will take their kid to while theyre running other errands?

Last edited: