• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Money...huh?

have you ever wondered how anyone pays for anything?
How does the Pokemon Center keep the lights on if they let people stay for free?
Also in "Showdown in Pewter City" the check says $1150-one thousand, one hundred and fifty dollars, then Ash says "Hey, you can't leave me with the bill!"

no wonder.

(that was supposed to say $11.50 but 4kids screwed up with the change from Yen to Dollar.)

Cazak

When Wings Fly High
I think that bill was for the food that Ash ate,and as for staying or checking up Poke'mon, they do it for free.

Valorous

the only thing i know is that their current is called "poke- [insert existing current]" and that beside the pkmn center bill the current or money related thing were never mentioned again...

Have you ever played the games?

Pokemon money has existed for a looooooooong time. I'm sure people donate to the Pokemon Center, also.

CharTang

Boulder Trainer
the pokemon center is government funded and there are shops and stuff, where they get there money from is unknown although plent of people in the anime are shown to have jobs etc. so meh who cares. the shows about the battles not watching them buy stuff.

FlamingRuby

The magic of Pokemon
I think credits (my word for Pokecurrency) do exist in the anime, just unseen. For instance, doing well in the League/Grand Festival might get you a nice paycheck. Furthermore, there are most likely banks (which is where Ash and co. keep funds and withdraw/deposit as needed. (I do vaguely remember hearing that there were banks in one early episode...)

Of course money exists; but no one is really interested in watching a show that has money as its main focus...or at least, I wouldn't.
I figure you'd get money like in the games: you beat another trainer, you get a few monies. Win against another trainer, look, more monies!

And I would guess that Pokemon Centers are government-funded, or run by donations. but I think I remember hearing on some earlier episodes that Electric Pokemon provided electricity.

RaikouSpecialLover

Questshipping 4ever!
The currency used in Pokemon (games, anime, etc.) is simply Japanese yen. So the Y-1150 is really close to $11.50. (Although a Lincoln penny showed up in The Ghost of Maiden's Peak.)

surfing_pichu

Pokemon Trader
Brock was a gym leader, he is probably still getting money from that, and now they don't mention money as much as they did in the earlier episodes.

Kenpachi

Flawless Technique
I think gyms are like Libraries, they're free to use and paid for by the government.
Ash probably gets supplies after/beginning of each region and they last him the whole time.
The only time they'd need money is when they're buying stuff and they never change their clothes or eat at restaurants so I think nobody but Brock carries money.

Satoshi

リーリエの為に戦ってるトレーナー
The currency used in Pokemon (games, anime, etc.) is simply Japanese yen. So the Y-1150 is really close to $11.50. (Although a Lincoln penny showed up in The Ghost of Maiden's Peak.)
Um, only the anime and the main RPG games have used the kanji symbol for Japanese yen in those few instances where currency is brought up (so the "etc." is really unnecessary =P). Furthermore, the Lincoln penny was a dub edit.

For people going by the English versions (and the Japanese versions of the 3D games), the currency is "[img139]http://img522.imageshack.us/img522/841/moneyinpokemonxc0.gif[/img139]", which is offically called (as seen in the 3D games) the "Pokemon Dollar" (creative name, eh? :0).

Yamato-san

I own the 5th gen
(so the "etc." is really unnecessary =P)

actually, yen exists in some of the manga as well. I know it's in Special, and I think it may've come up in Dengeki at some points (the Dengeki Pikachu manga seems to portray the Pokemon world more closely to a futuristic, metropolis-riddled Japan than anything else in the franchise, so I wouldn't be surprised).

thunderblade12

Have you ever played the games?

Pokemon money has existed for a looooooooong time. I'm sure people donate to the Pokemon Center, also.

well true..but the games also have levels..the anime does not.

they probably wouldnt want to have ash win money as a reward for winning battles. it is a "childrens" anime, even though they have had mature plots before, they wouldnt have something like gambling a part of the anime. same reason the game corner NEVER made it into the anime even though its been in every game so far

their currency is another factor that doesnt exist in the fictional, childish world of pokemon. just like 10 year old kids being able to go out on dangerous, life-threatening pokemon journeies instead of going to elementary school

Last edited:
The only time they'd need money is when they're buying stuff and they never change their clothes or eat at restaurants so I think nobody but Brock carries money.

You paid no attention to Advanced Generation did you?

HOW COULD MAY BUY ALL THOSE OUTFITS REGARDLESS OF IF THEY ARE WORN OR NOT?!?

hmmm

Scuffle of Legends
yeah this plothole is in many cartoons, anime etc...

team rocket is broke all of the time, but can afford intense mechas while dining on rice and wild berries

thunderblade12

this is a plot hole in other animes.

naruto = how did naruto get the money to live in his house and buy food before he became a ninja?

DBZ = goku doesnt work..its not like he gets payed to fight evil forces where do they get money to live in their house and buy tonsssss of food?