• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Mono Ice and Hail Team

Quilava42

Blazing Flowers
I've been going to Smogon lately, and I've been planning an Ice Type Hail team lately for Random Matchup. I didn't plan this for battling friends yet, so I'll test it for this to see if it's good enough. I don't have White 2, but here's how I'll set it:

;365; Walrein w/ Calm Nature
Trait: Thick Fat
Holds: Leftovers
252 HP/6 Def/252 Sp. Def
Encore
Toxic
Protect/Roar
Ice Beam/Surf

Walrein is more of a supporter. Encore is used to distract the Pokemon from using harmful moves. Toxic and Roar is very helpful and can really be harmful to the Pokemon and the Poison status will still hurt them. Surf is used to hit Fire and Rock types, even Ground types that poses as a harm towards Ice types. Protect is a Toxic stalling move, if you already knew. Ice Beam is for countering Grass, Ground, Dragon, and Flying types.

;124; Jynx w/ Timid Nature
Trait: Forewarn
Holds: Choice Specs/Choice Scarf
252 Sp. Atk/6 Spe/ 252 Sp. Def
Ice Beam/Blizzard
Psychic/Psyshock
Lovely Kiss/Energy Ball
Focus Blast

The Special Attacker. Jynx serves as one of the most strongest Psychic types there is. Though frail in Physical Stats, Jynx is very fast and strong in Special Attacks. Focus Blast is to counter Ice and Rock types, including Dark types in come in your way. Psyshock is for lowering the opposing Pokemon's Special Attack. Blizzard in hail can serve massive damage against Pokemon. Lovely Kiss can cause Confusion as well. Jynx is one of the strongest.

;144; Articuno w/ Modest Nature
Trait: Pressure
Holds: Life Orb
252 Sp. Atk/252 Spe/6 Spe
Roost
HP Ground/Hp Flying
Substitute
Ice Beam/Blizzard

Articuno is an overall strong Pokemon with good defensive and Speed stats. It can set subs and heal itself in case the Life Orb or the opponent cause damage to Articuno. Roost can be helpful in case its in Sub mode and is low in Health. It can attack very fast and strong.

;473; Mamoswine w/ Jolly Nature
Holds: Life Orb/Focus Sash/Sitrus Berry
252 Atk/144 HP/112 Spe
Ice Shard
Earthquake
Stealth Rock
Ice Fang/Superpower/Stone Edge

Mamoswine is a sub Supporter when it comes to Stealth Rock. Ice Shard is used when Mamoswine needs to defeat a strong Pokemon that's low in Health or weak to Ice Attacks. Mamoswine's normal speed can be a lot faster when it comes to raising its Speed by EV training. It can defeat Fire Types by Stone Edge and Earthquake. Superpower has a high power that can be enough to defeat Rock, Ice, Steel and Dark types. Overall, Mamoswine is a danger.

;460; Abomasnow w/ Lonely Nature
Trait: Snow Warning
Holds: Expert Belt/Leftovers
252 Atk/114 HP/144 Spe
Blizzard/Ice Shard
Wood Hammer
Leech Seed/Earthquake/Focus Punch/Avalanche
Substitute

The bringer of Snow. Abomasnow has one of the most highest amount of weaknesses, next to the Exeggutor line and Celebi. So I put Substitute to deal with it, even a higher Attack stats and Speed to let it defeat Pokemon before defeating it. Blizzard can deal a lot of damage in Hail, but with a high Attack stat, I thought Ice Shard could do the trick. And it's hard giving it the right items for RM, so I put one of those 3 to it. It can be a Subseed and it can defeat Fire and Poison types, even Steel types with Earthquake.

;478; Froslass w/ Timid Nature
Trait: Cursed Body
Holds: Focus Sash/Shadow Tag/Choice Scarf
252 Sp Atk/144 Spe/112 Sp. Def
Trick/Taunt/Disable
Destiny Bond/Thunderbolt/Psychic
Ice Beam/Blizzard
Shadow Ball

The lonely Female in the group. She can grip Pokemon into dying by Destiny Bond and Trick in case of having a Choice Scarf. Though being able to die that fast, she is very fast and strong. Along with a high Special Attack with Jynx, Frosslass is able to bring a ton load of damage with Ice Beam(STAB, 95*1.5= 142.5*1.5= Over 200 power) and with Shadow Ball. The rest of the description is similar to Jynx.

So, is this OK with a Mono Ice Team, or do I have to change a few things? I've been doing an old one, and it failed since I tried Rotom and an unbalanced team with Lapras there, but I changed a lot of Pokemon to do the trick.

Last edited:

Ironfish

pokemon scientist
this is just my obsevation that it may be a little counter-intuitive to have jinx with dry skin it just takes more damage from fire attacks the only perk being water immunity just saying

Divine Retribution

Conquistador de pan
Alright, I'm back rating teams for a few days, so this is as nice a place to start as any. After all, I love monotype teams.

Personally, I'd go Specs on Jynx. People often overlook how much of a monster Specs Jynx is.

Froslass seems pretty meh to me. Use her as a Spikes lead or don't use her at all, she's not good at anything else except maybe Specs. I'd recommend replacing Froslass with...

091.gif

Cloyster @ White Herb
Nature: Jolly
Trait: Skill Link
EVs: 252 Speed, 252 Attack, 4 HP
-Shell Smash
-Icicle Spear
-Rock Blast
-Razor Shell

After a single Shell Smash, this thing will absolutely demolish anything not named Skarmory. If you manage 2 Shell Smashes, Skarmory has like a 70% chance of being OHKO'd by Icicle Spear, and nothing else can really handle his attacks. Rock Blast and Razor Shell are for coverage.

Hurricane > Hidden Power on Articuno, and Icicle Crash on Mamoswine in the 4th moveslot.

Actually, I forgot about Hurricane's accuracy drop in Hail, and I also realized you have no spinner. Replace Articuno with Cryogonal so Stealth Rocks doesn't screw you over.
615.gif

Cryogonal @ Leftovers
Nature: Calm
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP, 248 Sp. Def, 8 Sp. Atk
-Rapid Spin
-Ice Beam / Frost Breath
-Recover
-Toxic

Cryogonal is really your only option when it comes to Ice spinners, but he's a great option. His unique typing and ability let him go one on one with most Ghosts and win, except Gengar and Chandelure. Levitate also gives him an immunity to Spikes and Toxic Spikes, which is a nice bonus. Most people use Ice Beam, but I personally love Frost Breath as it has only 15 less base power and lets him beat defensive boosters like Sigilyph because critical hits ignore defence boosts. Toxic and Recover let him toxic stall threats.

Last edited:

Quilava42

Blazing Flowers
Alright, I'm back rating teams for a few days, so this is as nice a place to start as any. After all, I love monotype teams.

Personally, I'd go Specs on Jynx. People often overlook how much of a monster Specs Jynx is.

Froslass seems pretty meh to me. Use her as a Spikes lead or don't use her at all, she's not good at anything else except maybe Specs. I'd recommend replacing Froslass with...

091.gif

Cloyster @ White Herb
Nature: Jolly
Trait: Skill Link
EVs: 252 Speed, 252 Attack, 4 HP
-Shell Smash
-Icicle Spear
-Rock Blast
-Razor Shell

After a single Shell Smash, this thing will absolutely demolish anything not named Skarmory. If you manage 2 Shell Smashes, Skarmory has like a 70% chance of being OHKO'd by Icicle Spear, and nothing else can really handle his attacks. Rock Blast and Razor Shell are for coverage.

Hurricane > Hidden Power on Articuno, and Icicle Crash on Mamoswine in the 4th moveslot.

I'll try changing Froslass. Just by thinking of it, she's like Jynx in a way, though Jynx is stronger. And I'll try finding an Articuno that has Hurricane by trade. And how do I get Mamoswine that has Icicle Crash?

Divine Retribution

Conquistador de pan
Get a male Beartic that knows the move and a female Piloswine or Mamoswine, and breed the two.

Alternatively, if Black Kyurem is an option, you can try out this monster.

646-black.gif

Kyurem-B @ Life Orb
Nature: Rash
Trait: Teravolt
EVs: 252 Sp. Atk, 100 Attack, 156 HP
-Outrage
-Fusion Bolt
-Blizzard
-Hidden Power (Fire)

While it lacks Banded Kyurem-B's wallbreaking prowess or Kyurem-W's special offense, it carries a little bit of both, is legal in OU, and will easily maim any team that isn't prepared for it. Outrage is a devastating physical STAB that will rip through entire teams with ease, while Fusion Bolt slams bulky Waters. Blizzard offers a special STAB with 100% accuracy in Hail, and Hidden Power (Fire) handles his mortal enemies, Scizor and Ferrothorn.

Quilava42

Blazing Flowers
Get a male Beartic that knows the move and a female Piloswine or Mamoswine, and breed the two.

646-black.gif

Kyurem-B @ Life Orb
-Outrage
-Fusion Bolt
-Blizzard
-Hidden Power (Fire)

While it lacks Banded Kyurem-B's wallbreaking prowess or Kyurem-W's special offense, it carries a little bit of both, is legal in OU, and will easily maim any team that isn't prepared for it. Outrage is a devastating physical STAB that will rip through entire teams with ease, while Fusion Bolt slams bulky Waters. Blizzard offers a special STAB with 100% accuracy in Hail, and Hidden Power (Fire) handles his mortal enemies, Scizor and Ferrothorn.

If I get White 2, I'll try that. And for Cryogonal, I'll test it out to see if it can work despite the horrible Defense. And thanks for telling me of Crygonal's pros, since it won't deal with Earthquake.

Ironfish

pokemon scientist

646-black.gif

Kyurem-B @ Life Orb
-Outrage
-Fusion Bolt
-Blizzard
-Hidden Power (Fire)

I think this team is for random matchup so no zekrom then

Divine Retribution

Conquistador de pan
I think this team is for random matchup so no zekrom then
Ah, sorry, I was assuming Smogon OU, didn't see the bit about random matchup. I'd still strongly recommend Cryogonal as a spinner, because your team is going to hate switching into Stealth Rocks so much.

SkyDriver

Hiding in the grass
PsyShock doesn't lower the opponent's specail attack... It hits the opponent's physical defense. Lovely Kiss cause sleep, not confusion.

Dunno how that Walrein works for you, I recommend classic Stallrein instead, since in random matchup 32 stalling turns will be enough.

Mamoswine 4th slot --> Icicle Spear, for breaking subs and sashes.

Aboma Adamant nature, never lower your defense, as it already is weak to many priority attacks. Use Ice Shard.

Froslass is too weak for OU. as said before, replace it or make it Spikes lead. Btw Shadow Tag is not a hold item. It's an ability Froslass could never legally get.

Use Blizzard where you slashed Ice Beam/Blizzard

gl with the team ^-^

Quilava42

Blazing Flowers
PsyShock doesn't lower the opponent's specail attack... It hits the opponent's physical defense. Lovely Kiss cause sleep, not confusion.

Dunno how that Walrein works for you, I recommend classic Stallrein instead, since in random matchup 32 stalling turns will be enough.

Mamoswine 4th slot --> Icicle Spear, for breaking subs and sashes.

Aboma Adamant nature, never lower your defense, as it already is weak to many priority attacks. Use Ice Shard.

Froslass is too weak for OU. as said before, replace it or make it Spikes lead. Btw Shadow Tag is not a hold item. It's an ability Froslass could never legally get.

Use Blizzard where you slashed Ice Beam/Blizzard

gl with the team ^-^

Did you read the description of Walrein? It's a stall/supporter when it comes with Toxic/Protect. And I'll take it in consideration. And I switched Froslass with Cloyster.

azeem40

Pokemon is fun!
In Black 2 you get Kyurem-B, not White 2.

Thunderstrike18

Sandāsutoraiku
I've been going to Smogon lately, and I've been planning an Ice Type Hail team lately for Random Matchup. I didn't plan this for battling friends yet, so I'll test it for this to see if it's good enough. I don't have White 2, but here's how I'll set it:

;365; Walrein w/ Calm Nature
Holds: Leftovers
252 HP/6 Def/252 Sp. Def
Encore
Toxic
Protect/Roar
Ice Beam/Surf

Walrein is more of a supporter. Encore is used to distract the Pokemon from using harmful moves. Toxic and Roar is very helpful and can really be harmful to the Pokemon and the Poison status will still hurt them. Surf is used to hit Fire and Rock types, even Ground types that poses as a harm towards Ice types. Protect is a Toxic stalling move, if you already knew. Ice Beam is for countering Grass, Ground, Dragon, and Flying types.

;124; Jynx w/ Timid Nature
Trait: Forewarn
Holds: Choice Specs/Choice Scarf
252 Sp. Atk/6 Spe/ 252 Sp. Def
Ice Beam/Blizzard
Psychic/Psyshock
Lovely Kiss/Energy Ball
Focus Blast

The Special Attacker. Jynx serves as one of the most strongest Psychic types there is. Though frail in Physical Stats, Jynx is very fast and strong in Special Attacks. Focus Blast is to counter Ice and Rock types, including Dark types in come in your way. Psyshock is for lowering the opposing Pokemon's Special Attack. Blizzard in hail can serve massive damage against Pokemon. Lovely Kiss can cause Confusion as well. Jynx is one of the strongest.

;144; Articuno w/ Modest Nature
Trait: Pressure
Holds: Life Orb Leftovers
252 Sp. Atk/252 Sp. Def/Def/6 Spe
Roost
HP Ground/Hp Flying
Substitute
Ice Beam/Blizzard

Looks like your going for a defensive move set so I changed the rest
Articuno is an overall strong Pokemon with good defensive and Speed stats. It can set subs and heal itself in case the Life Orb or the opponent cause damage to Articuno. Roost can be helpful in case its in Sub mode and is low in Health. It can attack very fast and strong.

;473; Mamoswine w/ Jolly Nature
Holds: Life Orb/Focus Sash/Sitrus Berry
252 Atk/144 HP/112 Spe
Ice Shard
Earthquake
Stealth Rock
Ice Fang/Superpower/Stone Edge

Mamoswine is a sub Supporter when it comes to Stealth Rock. Ice Shard is used when Mamoswine needs to defeat a strong Pokemon that's low in Health or weak to Ice Attacks. Mamoswine's normal speed can be a lot faster when it comes to raising its Speed by EV training. It can defeat Fire Types by Stone Edge and Earthquake. Superpower has a high power that can be enough to defeat Rock, Ice, Steel and Dark types. Overall, Mamoswine is a danger.

;460; Abomasnow w/ Lonely Nature
Trait: Snow Warning
Holds: Expert Belt/Leftovers
252 Atk/114 HP/144 Spe
Blizzard/Ice Shard
Wood Hammer
Leech Seed/EarthquakeFocus Punch/Avalanche
Substitute

The bringer of Snow. Abomasnow has one of the most highest amount of weaknesses, next to the Exeggutor line and Celebi. So I put Substitute to deal with it, even a higher Attack stats and Speed to let it defeat Pokemon before defeating it. Blizzard can deal a lot of damage in Hail, but with a high Attack stat, I thought Ice Shard could do the trick. And it's hard giving it the right items for RM, so I put one of those 3 to it. It can be a Subseed and it can defeat Fire and Poison types, even Steel types with Earthquake.

;478; Froslass w/ Timid Nature
Trait: Cursed Body
Holds: Focus Sash/Shadow Tag/Choice Scarf
252 Sp Atk/144 Spe/112 Sp. Def
TrickTaunt/Disable
Destiny Bond/Thunderbolt/Psychic
Ice Beam/Blizzard
Shadow Ball

The lonely Female in the group. She can grip Pokemon into dying by Destiny Bond and Trick in case of having a Choice Scarf. Though being able to die that fast, she is very fast and strong. Along with a high Special Attack with Jynx, Frosslass is able to bring a ton load of damage with Ice Beam(STAB, 95*1.5= 142.5*1.5= Over 200 power) and with Shadow Ball. The rest of the description is similar to Jynx.

So, is this OK with a Mono Ice Team, or do I have to change a few things? I've been doing an old one, and it failed since I tried Rotom and an unbalanced team with Lapras there, but I changed a lot of Pokemon to do the trick.

Changes and rates in bold. Your team had a lot of choices and I tried to narrow it down for you. I hope I helped you.

Atrocious

Cryo is essential to any ice mono team as the need for a spinner cannot be emphazied enough. You take 25-50% damage every time you switch with Rocks and with it's massive SpD it can actually take hits from many of the current spinners as most of them are special attackers. Classic Stallrein is fun, fun, fun and pretty effective too. I'd honestly try it out.

Rebel562

Odd Teambuilder
I'm not sure if anyone's mentioned this yet, but...

Why doesn't Walrein have Ice Body? Thick Fat is virtually worthless on Walrein, whereas an Ice Body Walrein can stall indefinitely in Hail, assuming it has Substitute and Leftovers.

Last edited:

Quilava42

Blazing Flowers
I'm not sure if anyone's mentioned this yet, but...

Why doesn't Walrein have Ice Body? Thick Fat is virtually worthless on Walrein, whereas an Ice Body Walrein can stall indefinitely in Hail, assuming it has Substitute and Leftovers.

I might give Ice Body since I tested my Sealeo with it. But Thick Fat is there in case it needs to wall Fire Attacks. So I may get one with Ice Body. I put it there as an idea in case I need to pick one of these two.