• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Mono-W Martyrtron(M:TG, Standard Format)

The_Darkness_Incarnate

+Erratic-Inanity+
Before you laugh at me and press alt+<-- in my face for running such a bad deck, wait for a few seconds and read on. This deck mainly came about as a joke, when a friend came up to me in school, and was like, "You should run Martyrtron for the JSS." (as a joke) I personally don't care too much about constructed tournaments, so I more or less said, "Whatever, sure." That's pretty much how this list came about. But it actually turned out to be better than anticipated, so I may actually end up running it when I tune my SB and the meta becomes more defined. As for matchups, it's almost a by versus UW control, and can cruise Dstorm and aggro with decent draws. Does fairly well against black bases, considering how that matchup drove the deck out of the format, more to less. Dawn Charm is my hero. Everything else it's decent against, considering how hard this deck is to disrupt without black. Depends on whether or not your draw lines up. The deck turned out a lot better than I though. It can even deal with Extirpate after side.

So, without further stalling, here's my list, almost freshly built and completely untuned:

Lands (24):
5 Snow-Covered Plains
4 Hallowed Fountain
4 Urza's Tower
4 Urza's Power Plant
4 Urza's Mine -OR- 3 Urza's Mine, 1 Mouth of Ronom(depending on the metagame)
2 Urza's Factory
1 Academy Ruins

Creatures (11):
4 Weathered Wayfarer
3 Children of Korlis
4 Martyr of Sands

Other Spells (25):
4 Temporal Isolation
4 Faith's Fetters
3 Howling Mine
4 Wrath of God
4 Dawn Charm
2 Muse Vessel
4 Proclamation of Rebirth

Sideboard (15):
4 Pull from Eternity
3 Disenchant
3 Sacred Ground
2 Triskvalus
2 Moratorium Stone
1 Mouth of Ronom
---------------------------------------------------------------
Most of the list should be self-explanatory. The lack of Chronosavant or Valkyrie maindeck is I've found that Urza's Factory is more than enough of a win condition for most cases. Chronosavant is sided in against the rare decking deck, but most of the time you have ample time to win with an army of Assembly-Workers. As for my choice of Fetter's and Isolation over "better" options like Condemn, speed is not necessary by any means and giving your opponent free life when you have better options is never a good thing. Shuffling an opponent's Skeletal Vampire into his deck is also not the best way of dealing with it, while a Fetter's nets you life and actually does the job. It's more or less of a safety net for the long period you need to set up in most occasions. Isolation hoses Dstorm pretty badly.

4 Wayfarer because I felt it was a centerpiece of the deck during testing, and it lets me run a small toolbox.

Dawn Charm vs. Persecute, plus 2 Ivory Mask I've been meaning to squeeze into side.

Fountains let me bluff Remand/Mana Leak, and 2 life doesn't make a difference to this deck.

Chronosavant can be popped for the suprise factor against a lot of decks. Self-recurring 5/5 for the win. Can be replaced with Valkyrie if you really want to.

Last edited:
You're gonna want Condemn.
Soltari Priest in sideboard for Red.
Howling Mine is not great. Against Red or Green, they can draw their card then destroy it, leaving you one card down.
Also, try and fit Flagstones of Trokair somewhere.

The_Darkness_Incarnate

+Erratic-Inanity+
You're gonna want Condemn.
Soltari Priest in sideboard for Red.
Howling Mine is not great. Against Red or Green, they can draw their card then destroy it, leaving you one card down.
Also, try and fit Flagstones of Trokair somewhere.

Make an argument for Condemn, and I'll think about it. I see no reason why I would run it over the 12 excellent removal spells in the deck. Also, unlike Fetters, it loses its value in low creature matchups where Fetters would hose Academy Ruins, and doesn't give me that extra 5 life as well as remove a Dragon versus Dragonstorm. In my opinion, there's nothing it can do that Fetters, Isolation, and Wrath can't do better. Mana is no issue to the Urzatron deck. Though, once again, arguement please.

Red is almost a by. I don't even have to worry about it. My side is crammed enough as it is without running clunkers like Preist which slightly improve a matchup the deck has an almost 90% chance of winning in the first place.

Frankly, I don't care too much about giving Red or Green that extra fuel. More or less, if they kill it right away, they're one or two cards up against a deck that literally never runs out of gas, and can go into 3 digit life totals without that much effort. Also, most of the time the artifact hate comes from side, and those cards are long gone for my alternate finisher by then. For any other matchups, it gives me the cards I need when I need them, and helps me out of a color screw, which this deck is more susceptible to than you might think.

Flagstones I was considering, but normal plains enable Mouth of Ronom, and the deck thins fast enough without it. If you suggest something to take out I would probably consider this more, but at the moment every land in the deck is more valuable than Flagstones, impact wise. See what I said for Condemn.
------------------------------------------------------------

As a side note, these are changed I've made to the deck. I'm pretty satisfied with it at the moment, though I still need to make room for Ivory Mask in the board.

MD:
-1 Mouth of Ronom/Urza's Mine(depending on the meta)
+1 Academy Ruins
SB:
-2 Chronosavant
+2 Triskevalus

I'll edit them in up top.

For Ivory Mask, take out a Howling Mine.
Don't ask me why, but Pacifism is better than Temporal Isolation.

The_Darkness_Incarnate

+Erratic-Inanity+
For Ivory Mask, take out a Howling Mine.
Don't ask me why, but Pacifism is better than Temporal Isolation.

SIDE, not main. Though I am planning on taking out the Howling Mines for something, but I'm pretty sure that that's as good of a draw engine as Mono-W is gonna get. And I need a draw engine pretty bad, but don't want to run blue due to how consistent WW is.

How is Pacifism better than Isolation? It's purpose is to hose Dstorm, a matchup that I can have trouble with if I take 15-20. Isolation takes down one of the Hellkites while more or less giving me 5 free life in the bargain. I don't turn down gifts like that in this aggressive of a meta.

Watch out for Red Aggro sporting Blood Knight.
Side some nonwhite kill.

What is the Urzatron for?

The_Darkness_Incarnate

+Erratic-Inanity+
Watch out for Red Aggro sporting Blood Knight.
Side some nonwhite kill.

What is the Urzatron for?

I'm not too worried about Blood Knight. Or any aggro deck for that matter. That's the matchup that this deck lives for, pro-White or no pro-White. Basically, attacking will be pointless, an eventually I can overwhelm them with the 2 Worker tokens each turn, Wrathing periodically along the way. I think that decking myself might be a problem though, which I why I'm thinking of running a singleton Feldon's Cane maindeck, to give me a bit more time to work with.

As a note, the Trike out of board IS non-white kill.

Urzatron is to get Proclamation of Rebirth online faster, as well as to fuel the Factories. Makes Muse Vessel easier to pay as well.

Changes I've made to the deck since my last post are switching the Ruins and Mouth from main to side.

Then you have a very good deck.

That Korlis thing is awful. Sacrifice Children? Sick person.