• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Monotypes: A Different Approach to RMT!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

.TraX.

Bad and Nationwide
It has been a really long time since I posted here much, I used to RMT a lot on Serebii GSC forums back in like 2006/2007.

I've always enjoyed Monotype teams, and honestly I think GSC was the best era for them (even if some types had a distinct lack of options!). The Serebii Forums GSC Monotype challenge found here and now here is super fun.

So my objective with this thread is to do something a bit different to what usually happens in RMT; instead of one person posting teams and everyone rating it, it'd be cool if we could get a few people posting and rating each others teams.

We'll need to follow a few rules for this to be interesting;

1. Teams must be Monotype, this means all Pokemon must share one type (i.e. a Poison Monotype team must have all Pokemon that are part Poison)

2. Teams can be for an in-game Monotype challenge, online play, stadium or battle tower (state which in your post please!).

3. No using two of the same Species (i.e. if you have Venusaur you can't have another Venusaur, and you also can't have Bulbasaur or Ivysaur).. unless the type doesn't have enough Pokemon for you to get 6 without doing that!

4. Consider that you are building a Monotype team when you select your moves; failure to do so may result in having 6 Pokemon all cripplingly weak to the same thing!

5. Be nice, so the thread doesn't devolve into a silly flame war and get locked!

A Team to get us started - Trax Monotype: Water - Online/Battle Tower.

Note: In Battle Tower I'd use Tentacruel / Slowbro / Quagsire.

Tentacruel @ Leftovers
Substitute
Swords Dance
Surf OR Hydro Pump
Sludge Bomb
- Big power on offense with a Swords Dance or two, Tenta can cut through pretty much any defense (though Skarmory might last a while) - its lacking defenses can be propped up by Substitute. He offers a valuable physical offensive Pokemon to a water Monotype too. Hydro Pump offers power, Surf offers longevity and accuracy; for me this is a tough choice because both can be useful.

Slowbro @ Leftovers
Thunder Wave
Surf
Fire Blast
Rest
- Slowbro is an amazing wall, and also great at countering some attackers or other walls; Surf is strong against Ground and Rock while Fire annihilates Steel types, Thunder Wave slows the enemy down so you can safely use slower Pokemon.

Blastoise @ Leftovers
Mirror Coat
Surf
Blizzard
Reflect
- Helpful for sending the odd Thunderbolt back at Electric types, Blastoise is nice and bulky and can get reflect up to protect some of the weaker members of this team from nasty Earthquakes and such. No Rest because I'm not convinced Blastoise would actually survive a Rest cycle without Heal Bell which a mono-Water team doesn't have; Blizzard hopefully sends the occasional Grass type packing.

Vaporeon @ Leftovers
Acid Armor
Surf
Rest
Baton Pass
- Tentacruel often needs a bit of help to get rolling, Vaporeon passes Acid Armor (and also acts as a bit of a wall of need be). Surf is fairly effective coming off a high STAB.

Quagsire @ Leftovers
Curse
Sludge Bomb
Earthquake
Body Slam
- This guy exists for one reason: show up when half the other team is paralyzed, get a couple of curses off and maul everything in sight; he's a good addition to a Monotype Water team because of his immunity to Electric attacks. He's weak against Grass but very solid in other aspects.

Starmie @ Leftovers
Thunder Wave
Thunderbolt
Ice Beam
Recover
- It Paralyzes things, it has Recovery and Bolt-Beam which is a strong combination capable of hurting pretty much anything. Substitute is tempting but that puts Starmie into having to use either Surf or Psychic as its attack (because Bolt or Beam on their own is pretty weak).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.