• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Monster Hunter Series Discussion

KillerDraco

In light of recent reveals, the Monster Hunter series now gets its own dedicated thread. Use this thread for the discussion of all things Monster Hunter related, including but not limited to:

Monster Hunter Generations Ultimate
Monster Hunter World
Monster Hunter Rise (releasing 03/26/2021)
Monster Hunter Stories 2 (releasing summer 2021)

Go nuts.

In addition, check out the recent Monster Hunter Direct:

Hunter Zolomon

Into the Shadows
Staff member
I have Monster Hunter World on the Xbox One. I've yet to play it, but I hope to get to playing it eventually.

I've never played a Monster Hunter game before, but they seem like a great series of games. It's definitely a game genre that's right up my alley.

shoz999

Back when Tigers used to smoke.
I have Monster Hunter World on the Xbox One. I've yet to play it, but I hope to get to playing it eventually.

I've never played a Monster Hunter game before, but they seem like a great series of games. It's definitely a game genre that's right up my alley.
Try it out at least once. The real meat of the game is the online multiplayer. Once you do try it out, it might be hard to put down the controller unless you get tired of grinding for new armor easily.

Hydrohs

安らかに眠ります、岩田さん。
Staff member
Super Mod
You can play almost entirely solo as well, it's more challenging, but doable. There are only a couple monsters that need to be fought online in a group.

MH has a bit of a steep learning curve, but it's very rewarding and World especially is a very well-designed game.

Sicksadpanda

Discord Staff
I'm definitely looking forward to Monster Hunter Rise. I've started with MH3U and still play MHW. I am terrified of what will be my new hated monster in MHR though lol.

Bazelgeuse was horrible, and I know he's built to be horrible to us, so it's gotta be intentional lol. Hope we can hunt together!

NPC

sleep researcher
I'm a huge fan of Monster Hunter, it's one of my favorite series. Currently playing GU. I could never get into World because the lack of portability killed it for me, but I'm extremely excited about Rise. It's probably the game I'm most looking forward to.

To anyone who's on the fence about Monster Hunter as a whole, I'll say it's an extremely fun and rewarding series with potentially hundreds of hours of gameplay behind every entry. However, there is definitely a learning curve involved, especially because the games aren't very good at introducing you to the many gameplay concepts. I recommend looking at some beginner videos and guides online.

What weapon does everyone main? I've been an Insect Glaive main since 4U.

Hydrohs

安らかに眠ります、岩田さん。
Staff member
Super Mod
I'm a huge fan of Monster Hunter, it's one of my favorite series. Currently playing GU. I could never get into World because the lack of portability killed it for me, but I'm extremely excited about Rise. It's probably the game I'm most looking forward to.

To anyone who's on the fence about Monster Hunter as a whole, I'll say it's an extremely fun and rewarding series with potentially hundreds of hours of gameplay behind every entry. However, there is definitely a learning curve involved, especially because the games aren't very good at introducing you to the many gameplay concepts. I recommend looking at some beginner videos and guides online.

What weapon does everyone main? I've been an Insect Glaive main since 4U.

I switch between GS and Lance depending on the monster.

Reactions: NPC

TrottingMinccino

Can also jump!
I got into this series with 4 Ultimate, and truth be told, it got me hooked! More recently i've been playing Generations Ultimate for sooooo long now. I've got my HR (on my main file) up pretty high now.

I'm not going to bother with World, it's tries way too much to be "real" for my liking...Plus the New World systems would likely drive me nuts to get right, i'd rather stick with the tried and true.

As for my main weapon, I can pretty much use most of them, really! But if I had to choose, I would have to go with the Sword and Shield. The versatility of it has saved my tail on countless occasions! I have also been getting decent with the Lance, Gunlance, Charge Blade, and Insect Glaive. I also want to get into using the Hunting Horn, though remembering all those notes is going to be tricky...

I actually adjust my weaponry depending on what i'm fighting. For online play, however, I find myself being a Gunner(I can use all three weapon types) more often. Especially when the rest of the team are reckless Blademasters. Getting tripped up by everyone is frustrating. I'll provide support from a distance, thank you!

Reactions: NPC

Hydrohs

安らかに眠ります、岩田さん。
Staff member
Super Mod
World actually backtracks a lot, it's a lot more similar to the earlier entries in the series than the current, which is what I like most about it. It removes or simplifies a lot of the "fluff" mechanics that have been added over the years. If I had to sum it up, I'd have to say that it's a very streamlined experience.

shoz999

For me, I got into the series on MH3 on the Wii which was a big deal at the time. Before World, the first attempt to reach a mainstream audience was Monster Hunter Tri on the Wii because Capcom noticed the Wii had a higher fanbase among Westerners. This caused a divided between their loyal Playstation fanbase. They tried again with 4 Ultimate on the popular 3DS, then again on World. I still remember those Monster Hunter Tri commercials featuring that viking hunter. One thing I didn't mind was underwater combat. A lot of people agree with me on this but whether you like it or not, MH3's underwater combat is good compared to most other games that attempt underwater combat.

As for me, I main the Long Sword and Insect Glaive. Playing Long Sword against Brachydios is like a boxing match, hit, dodge, hit, dodge etc.

Last edited:

Hydrohs

安らかに眠ります、岩田さん。
Staff member
Super Mod
Underwater combat blows and I'm glad they ended up ditching it.

I have to hand it to Tri, it got a lot of people into the series, but it was missing a lot of content for an MH game. 3U was a much needed upgrade, just unfortunate that they ended up releasing that during the Wii U era instead. For me the PSP will always be the OG system since I got into the series with Freedom Unite.

Xaby

SW-3553-0104-8530
I became a bow main after MH3U, which is perfect for soloing most monsters. I like the concept of charging up while staying mobile. The only monster I couldn't use a bow at solo is the Fatalis trio, to which I go back to using the Switch Axe.

World bow is...okay? They say it's OP there and I can definitely see with the new mechanics, but it just feels different from how it used to be and I never really got the hang of the shoot-dodge-shoot-dodge cycle.

Hydrohs

安らかに眠ります、岩田さん。
Staff member
Super Mod
I became a bow main after MH3U, which is perfect for soloing most monsters. I like the concept of charging up while staying mobile. The only monster I couldn't use a bow at solo is the Fatalis trio, to which I go back to using the Switch Axe.

World bow is...okay? They say it's OP there and I can definitely see with the new mechanics, but it just feels different from how it used to be and I never really got the hang of the shoot-dodge-shoot-dodge cycle.

I picked up Bow for a couple monsters in World, it's definitely OP. Very high damage dealing potential.

shoz999

Royal Ludroth made it's return. You know what that means boys and girls? Leviathans are making a return! YES! I hope Lagiacrus and Mizutsune return. Mitzutsune would make too much sense given the Yokai theme.

NPC

sleep researcher
I think Mizu is a shoe-in, and hopefully Lagia as well. I think we can reasonably expect Kecha Wacha, since it looks like Bishaten uses its skeleton. Really liking the new monsters so far.

I am beyond excited for Rise, and glad a demo's coming in January. After World, it's looking to be everything I want from a Monster Hunter (portable, colorful/unique weapon designs, QoL improvements).

Taodragon

Training Anaylst
Yeah, with how popular Mitzu is and its heavy Japanese theme, I agree it's probably on the way. It may very well be more a matter of when it drops then if at this point. Lagi also has a good chance since Capcom was trying so hard to get it to work in World and just couldn't, and with Royal Ludroth back the door may finally be open for it.

I'm rooting for both, I started with 3U so I really missed the Leviathans in World.

shoz999

Yeah, with how popular Mitzu is and its heavy Japanese theme, I agree it's probably on the way. It may very well be more a matter of when it drops then if at this point. Lagi also has a good chance since Capcom was trying so hard to get it to work in World and just couldn't, and with Royal Ludroth back the door may finally be open for it.

I'm rooting for both, I started with 3U so I really missed the Leviathans in World.
Thing is, Leviathans were supposed to be in MH World. There's even actual gameplay footage of Lagiacrus making a spectacular entrance. Apparently the reason why they were removed was because the Leviathan bone models glitched a lot in World. Also, saw an interesting leak that appeared before the trailer reveal that confirmed many of the monsters in the trailer. Apparently one particular fan-favorite mascot might return.

Valstrax baby!

Hydrohs

安らかに眠ります、岩田さん。
Staff member
Super Mod
I would have loved to see the Lagis return in World, that would have been awesome.

I'll be giving the demo a shot when it comes out to see what this game is like. GU didn't grab me enough so I never got it.

NPC

sleep researcher
We're getting short videos showcasing the weapons in Rise and their Silkbind attacks, which seem to take a lot of inspiration from GU's Hunter Arts. (Also, casual confirmation that Pukei Pukei is in the game.) Every weapon looks more mobile than ever before, which makes me wonder how they'll tweak monster behaviors in response.

Rise looks fantastic so far, my only complaint about it is that they seem to have put this desaturating filter over the visuals to make it look less colorful. Seems like influence from World. Every stage looks foggy and overcast.