• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Monster Hunter

Zyon

NUM NUM NUM
I've also never played Monster Hunter before, but I'm considering on buying MH3U. If a demo is released in the eshop at some point I'll defiantly download it and see how it is, and if I really enjoy it then I'll defiantly buy it. I had no idea what the game was even like but from what I've seen from the trailer(s) it looks pretty cool. It's defiantly a type of game I would enjoy playing, especially if there's a bunch of customization of weapons, weapon types, and armor.

ShoesThief

Thief of Shoes
I've never played the Monster Hunter Series ever. It looks really intresting so when the Demo comes out onto the E-shop I'll grab it and try it out. If I do like it then i'll purchase it for the 3DS when it comes out!

blaze boy

Aka SamuraiDon
I am planning to get Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate bundle for the Wii U and I just want to know what exactly do you do in the game?

Zyon

NUM NUM NUM
I am planning to get Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate bundle for the Wii U and I just want to know what exactly do you do in the game?
Pretty much what the game title says, you hunt monsters it's as simple as that :3
Now I've only played the demo version of MH3U, but I've gone on the website to learn more about the game. You are a hunter and you take on quest's to go hunt a monster, and before you go off on this quest(or hunt) you must prepare yourself in the town(or towns, I'm not 100% sure if there's more then one). In town you can buy all manner of potions, cooked food, traps, etc. When you go off on the quest you actually have a time limit, you'll most likely kill other monsters and harvest a piece from them, you'll do this when you defeat monster your trying to hunt for. When you harvest these pieces you'll take them back to town an will be able to craft better armor and weapons so you can take on the higher ranking quests.
The one thing that I really like about this game is that it's not something that you just smash the A button repeatedly and boom you killed the enemy without hardly trying. You actually need to plan and have a strategy. Nor is this game turn-based, you can't see the enemies health bar but instead you need to watch and pay attention to what the monster is doing. For example the Lagombi in the demo getting it's health about halfway or so it'll start drooling and trying to catch it's breath, eventually it'll then start limping off trying to escape you. Which of course you have to chase it down and finish the job. I feel this game has a realistic feel, especially when you dodge an attack.

I'm really surprised I never got into this game before, I guess mainly because I never heard about it until now.

Hydrohs

安らかに眠ります、岩田さん。
Staff member
Super Mod

Zyon gave a pretty good explanation, but it basically boils down to this: You hunt monsters so that you can take their materials to make better weapons and armour to fighter stronger monsters.

For example the Lagombi in the demo getting it's health about halfway or so it'll start drooling and trying to catch it's breath, eventually it'll then start limping off trying to escape you.

Close, when it starts drooling and panting that's because it's run out of Stamina, a mechanic that was added to monsters in Tri. When it's Stamina gets low it's attacks will be slower, they might fail, may repeat less, etc. Each monster has a place it will go to replenish its Stamina and is completely vulnerable while doing so.

Tyranitarquake

HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAX!!!
I'm stuck on the dual jin high rank quest in Portable 3rd (I didn't actually try it since I wanted to play Unite for a while), currently playing through Unite and played Tri a bit. IMO Tri was one of the worst MH games in the whole series, it felt so empty especially when compared to the PSP ones. MH3U looks like a huge improvement and MH is my favourite game series, so I've already preordered it. Only a week left till it gets released! In Europe anyway..

Hydrohs

安らかに眠ります、岩田さん。
Staff member
Super Mod
I'm stuck on the dual jin high rank quest in Portable 3rd (I didn't actually try it since I wanted to play Unite for a while), currently playing through Unite and played Tri a bit. IMO Tri was one of the worst MH games in the whole series, it felt so empty especially when compared to the PSP ones. MH3U looks like a huge improvement and MH is my favourite game series, so I've already preordered it. Only a week left till it gets released! In Europe anyway..

I never got that far in MHP3rd, might start playing it again for the last few days before 3U comes out, since I'm not at all familiar with the monsters that were added. I'm pretty well done in Freedom Unite. I've got all the Village Quests completed, except for the final Epic Quest, which is pure hell, I've accepted I'll never beat it. As for Guild quests, I've beaten all the urgents, and every quest up to G-Rank as well. I can't solo the remaining G-Rank quests I have left though, and my friend and I just don't play it any more.

Zyon

NUM NUM NUM
MH3U is going to be released tomorrow!
I've pre-ordered my copy at Gamestop and as a bonus I'll receive a special code to download the strategy guide for free. I can't wait to play this :)

I'm getting it tomorrow as well, also for Wii U. I won't be able to play it until this weekend or next week though because my Wii U is at home and PAX is this weekend...I'm not sure if Monster Hunter is the perfect "sit-back-and-relax" kind of game, really.

Hydrohs

安らかに眠ります、岩田さん。
Staff member
Super Mod
I'm getting it tomorrow as well, also for Wii U. I won't be able to play it until this weekend or next week though because my Wii U is at home and PAX is this weekend...I'm not sure if Monster Hunter is the perfect "sit-back-and-relax" kind of game, really.

Sure it is! What's more relaxing that hitting a monster in the face?

Well, in fairness, one of my buds staying with me will have it for 3DS. So we may indulge for that reason. But we have 7 people overall so maybe something more party-oriented will be appropriate.

Has anyone had time to try out the Wii U and 3DS version both? I'm wondering about the consensus on either.

Hydrohs

安らかに眠ります、岩田さん。
Staff member
Super Mod
Well, in fairness, one of my buds staying with me will have it for 3DS. So we may indulge for that reason. But we have 7 people overall so maybe something more party-oriented will be appropriate.

Has anyone had time to try out the Wii U and 3DS version both? I'm wondering about the consensus on either.

Wii U version is much better, since the 3DS version is just a port and they never bothered to fix the text. It's very blurry on the 3DS, making it hard to read. I find using the Pro Controller easier than the Circle Pad Pro as well.

And on that note, the Wii U Pro controller's ZR/ZL buttons do allow you to rotate the camera, which is excellent.

Tyranitarquake

HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAX!!!
I never got that far in MHP3rd, might start playing it again for the last few days before 3U comes out, since I'm not at all familiar with the monsters that were added. I'm pretty well done in Freedom Unite. I've got all the Village Quests completed, except for the final Epic Quest, which is pure hell, I've accepted I'll never beat it. As for Guild quests, I've beaten all the urgents, and every quest up to G-Rank as well. I can't solo the remaining G-Rank quests I have left though, and my friend and I just don't play it any more.

I pretty much stopped playing P3rd since most of the monsters there are in MH3U. Though I do want to fight 3rd gen Ukanlos and Akantor, and Amatsumagatsuchi (sp?) since I doubt it'll be in any other mH games. I'm not really that far in Unite, I finished the village low rank and did a few quests in high rank.

Hopefully my order of Ultimate from Shopto should come tomorow, since it's already been dispatched.

Hydrohs

安らかに眠ります、岩田さん。
Staff member
Super Mod
I pretty much stopped playing P3rd since most of the monsters there are in MH3U. Though I do want to fight 3rd gen Ukanlos and Akantor, and Amatsumagatsuchi (sp?) since I doubt it'll be in any other mH games. I'm not really that far in Unite, I finished the village low rank and did a few quests in high rank.

Hopefully my order of Ultimate from Shopto should come tomorow, since it's already been dispatched.

Guuuuuh Ukanlos. I depise Ukanlos, although Golden Rajang remains the only Monster I've never beaten.

Tyranitarquake

HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAX!!!
God, all the tutorials. It bothered me a bit how much tutorial there is before you can do an actual quest, and even then you get the Guild Sweetheart harping at you all the time.
Yeah, I kinda wish they'd go back to how it was in Unite. With the tutorials basically being training school quests that you didn't have to do. But I doubt they'd do that, especially with MH4 having more story.

Hydrohs

安らかに眠ります、岩田さん。
Staff member
Super Mod
Yeah, I kinda wish they'd go back to how it was in Unite. With the tutorials basically being training school quests that you didn't have to do. But I doubt they'd do that, especially with MH4 having more story.

Are we sure about that? There hasn't been too much info released about it.