• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Monster Hunter

Owl

G-Rank Hunter
I'm dying right now. Trultimate is out, and I have no money. ;-;
Aw well, I guess I'll just have to wait.

Tyranitarquake

HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAX!!!
Are we sure about that? There hasn't been too much info released about it.

Yeah I'm pretty sure Capcom said that MH4 would have more story and adventure than previous titles. I'd go look for a source, but playing MH3U! xD

Arcamenel

Shiny Hunter
So I had a question for you Monster Hunter veterans. I'm thinking about picking this up, as unlike some I found the demo quite intriguing even though the camera controls left much to be desired. I've done some research and watched a few let's plays and have a general feel for the game. However my only issue is if I would be able to enjoy the game in the long-term. From what I could gather, the game is a lot more fun when you have people to play with. I know there is a decent single player campaign but at some point, killing monsters, especially ones you have to kill over and over again to get materials for crafting, can get a bit stale/repetitive soloing. I don't have any friends that are much into gaming, let alone own Nintendo systems. If I do get this game it will have to be the 3DS version. Would I be okay for the most part or should I just hold off for a year or so until I can get a Wii U and the Wii U version?

Hydrohs

安らかに眠ります、岩田さん。
Staff member
Super Mod
So I had a question for you Monster Hunter veterans. I'm thinking about picking this up, as unlike some I found the demo quite intriguing even though the camera controls left much to be desired. I've done some research and watched a few let's plays and have a general feel for the game. However my only issue is if I would be able to enjoy the game in the long-term. From what I could gather, the game is a lot more fun when you have people to play with. I know there is a decent single player campaign but at some point, killing monsters, especially ones you have to kill over and over again to get materials for crafting, can get a bit stale/repetitive soloing. I don't have any friends that are much into gaming, let alone own Nintendo systems. If I do get this game it will have to be the 3DS version. Would I be okay for the most part or should I just hold off for a year or so until I can get a Wii U and the Wii U version?

If you get it on 3DS the CPP is pretty well a requirement, I found it borderline unplayable with out it. I personally prefer playing on the Wii U, the Pro Controller is much easier to use, and the game was originally designed for the console anyway, so the text isn't blurry like it is on the 3DS. However by waiting a year you're missing out, I'd say you may as well just get it now on 3DS, you can always transfer your save over when you get a Wii U down the road.

Tyranitarquake

HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAX!!!
If you get it on 3DS the CPP is pretty well a requirement
To be honest, I found playing without the CPP better than with it. But I still play with the CPP since I don't like touching the touchscreen with my fingers.

the game was originally designed for the console anyway, so the text isn't blurry like it is on the 3DS.
The game was actually originally made for 3DS and then ported to the Wii U. The crappy textures of the Wii U version due to being a HD port are more annoying than the blurry font of the 3DS version. Besides, who reads in Monster Hunter? xD

I don't have a lot of friends that play MH either but I got the 3DS version either way since I'm primarly a handheld gamer and Monster Hunter is a handheld-only game for me. Don't think that playing the game solo will make it a bad game though, I've played most of my MH games solo and it's still my favourite game series. But when I eventually get a Wii U I'll use that relay tool thing or buy the Wii U version.

Hydrohs

安らかに眠ります、岩田さん。
Staff member
Super Mod
To be honest, I found playing without the CPP better than with it. But I still play with the CPP since I don't like touching the touchscreen with my fingers.

But you can't adjust the camera and attack/use items without the CPP. Also trying to move underwater makes a terrible thing the spawn of the devil himself.

The game was actually originally made for 3DS and then ported to the Wii U. The crappy textures of the Wii U version due to being a HD port are more annoying than the blurry font of the 3DS version. Besides, who reads in Monster Hunter? xD

Are you sure? I'm pretty sure they've just reused the Wii textures... Which look good enough to me, but I've only got a 27" TV.

Tyranitarquake

HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAX!!!
But you can't adjust the camera and attack/use items without the CPP. Also trying to move underwater makes a terrible thing the spawn of the devil himself.

Are you sure? I'm pretty sure they've just reused the Wii textures... Which look good enough to me, but I've only got a 27" TV.
I don't see why you would want to move the camera and attack, and a lot of weapons like the LS and GS you can change camera between attacks. Using items requires one press of a button which only takes barely a second so it's not like you couldn't move the camera during the flexing anyway. I didn't even need to use the touch screen camera since the target camera is already more than enough to keep an eye on the monster. People will always complaining about controls whether it's the claw or touch screen. hell, some people even complain about dual sticks controls just because you can't attack while moving the camera. I personally am fine with most control schemes, except for the Wiimote + nunchuk. That was crap.

And I'm not sure where the 3DS version got it's textures from, but the Wii U version gets everything directly from the 3DS version, not the Wii version. Found this example http://www.capcom-unity.com/jashugan0/go/gallery/item/143171963

Hydrohs

安らかに眠ります、岩田さん。
Staff member
Super Mod
I don't see why you would want to move the camera and attack, and a lot of weapons like the LS and GS you can change camera between attacks.

As a GS user and previous LS user I still can't play without always being able to adjust the camera.

Using items requires one press of a button which only takes barely a second so it's not like you couldn't move the camera during the flexing anyway. I didn't even need to use the touch screen camera since the target camera is already more than enough to keep an eye on the monster. People will always complaining about controls whether it's the claw or touch screen. hell, some people even complain about dual sticks controls just because you can't attack while moving the camera. I personally am fine with most control schemes, except for the Wiimote + nunchuk. That was crap.

No one will complain about the claw, the claw is perfect. That's why it was developed in the first place. Being able to adjust the camera the way you want at all times is incredibly important, it can mean the difference between life and death, some monsters move around very quickly, sometimes you have to fight more than one monster. There are a lot of scenarios where you want to be attacking and observing your surroundings.

And I'm not sure where the 3DS version got it's textures from, but the Wii U version gets everything directly from the 3DS version, not the Wii version. Found this example http://www.capcom-unity.com/jashugan0/go/gallery/item/143171963

That's interesting, and it now makes little sense why the text is so blurry on the 3DS.

Hydrohs

安らかに眠ります、岩田さん。
Staff member
Super Mod

DucksGoMooful

Evergreen tail?
Oh man, I love 3 Ultimate. I had bought Tri for the Wii when it first came out and I loved it. I finally beat the Alatreon, absolutely loved the game. Found out this was coming out so I bought it for Wii U after trying the demo on my friend's 3DS (didn't feel like downloading it on my own). Unfortunately, I have to work my way back up the Hunter Rank, and it's slow going. I have terrible weapons and armour, so I'm consistently dying despite my relatively large amount of experience with the game (they're basically the same game). However, it's still fun. That's what I love about this series, that no matter how you're doing, it's still fun (except when the Rathalos kills you in Area 8 in D. Island and while you're on your way back your team-mates kill it). That's all for now from me.

Hydrohs

安らかに眠ります、岩田さん。
Staff member
Super Mod
Oh man, I love 3 Ultimate. I had bought Tri for the Wii when it first came out and I loved it. I finally beat the Alatreon, absolutely loved the game. Found out this was coming out so I bought it for Wii U after trying the demo on my friend's 3DS (didn't feel like downloading it on my own). Unfortunately, I have to work my way back up the Hunter Rank, and it's slow going. I have terrible weapons and armour, so I'm consistently dying despite my relatively large amount of experience with the game (they're basically the same game). However, it's still fun. That's what I love about this series, that no matter how you're doing, it's still fun (except when the Rathalos kills you in Area 8 in D. Island and while you're on your way back your team-mates kill it). That's all for now from me.

If you keep dying then you're having trouble remembering the biggest skill you should have gained from Monster Hunter: Not getting hit.

DucksGoMooful

Evergreen tail?
If you keep dying then you're having trouble remembering the biggest skill you should have gained from Monster Hunter: Not getting hit.

No, I'm still dodging pretty well, and I can avoid almost everything that's coming at me, however there are a few problems outside of my current control: I don't know the new monsters, so I don't know the tells yet (though I will soon); sometimes I get hit even though I shouldn't, or because my button push didn't register, or just random mistakes or whatever; and those times when I do get hit, my armour is so weak that it deals much more damage than it should, or I can't heal up in time and get hit again right away.

Rakurai

It's kind of jarring how much harder the high rank monsters hit then the low rank ones. Makes me wonder how nasty the G rank ones will be.

Hydrohs

安らかに眠ります、岩田さん。
Staff member
Super Mod
No, I'm still dodging pretty well, and I can avoid almost everything that's coming at me, however there are a few problems outside of my current control: I don't know the new monsters, so I don't know the tells yet (though I will soon); sometimes I get hit even though I shouldn't, or because my button push didn't register, or just random mistakes or whatever; and those times when I do get hit, my armour is so weak that it deals much more damage than it should, or I can't heal up in time and get hit again right away.

Your armour doesn't really make a huge difference. HR armour will make a difference on LR monsters, and G Rank armour will make a difference to the lower too. But going naked vs using LR armour against LR monsters, you'd hardly see a difference. Just keep focusing on learning when to dodge, it'll serve you better.

It's kind of jarring how much harder the high rank monsters hit then the low rank ones. Makes me wonder how nasty the G rank ones will be.

I almost quit playing when I first moved up to HR quests in Freedom Unite, you'll be prepared for the jump in difficulty when you get to G rank though, and you'll be more skilled as well. It's not quite as bad, but they hit hard.

Hydrohs

安らかに眠ります、岩田さん。
Staff member
Super Mod
Having never made it past the tutorial part in Tri, I just fought Lagiacrus for the first time. It was super easy, he never made it into the water, I'm sure it would be harder there, however. Mostly due to how frustrating the water combat is.

meismadatyou

Johto League Master
I have a question, I'm not sure if any of you saw it yet, but after you repel the Lagiacrus, you unlock a Felyne Gunlance. I really want to get the gunlance because it looks freaking adorable, but i have no idea how to get pawprint stamps, if anybody can help, thanks!

I love MH, MH3U is my favorite because I find it to be easier to function than MHP3. Plus my first MH game was Tri, so adding on to it makes me like it even more. I really hope America gets a MH4 release and I can't wait for that one either!

Zyon

NUM NUM NUM
I have a question, I'm not sure if any of you saw it yet, but after you repel the Lagiacrus, you unlock a Felyne Gunlance. I really want to get the gunlance because it looks freaking adorable, but i have no idea how to get pawprint stamps, if anybody can help, thanks!
You can get Pawprint stamps from Felyne (12% drop), and Melynx (20% drop).
I discarted the first couple of pawprint stamps I got cause they were worth nothing, but I didn't know they were used to make weapons. If any of them are used to make a GS, LS, or Sword and Shield I should probably consider keeping them them next time.

Rakurai

I managed to finish the offline Jhen Mohran quest with less then 15 seconds left on the clock yesterday, which gave me the biggest feeling of accomplishment I've had playing the game so far.

It's much harder then in the original Tri, due to you only having a limited amount of ballista and cannon ammo to work with, which necessitates that you have a good weapon and know where its weak points are if you plan on defeating it, as if you aren't able to cause enough damage, you won't be able to stagger it enough in order to keep it from destroying the ship.