• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Monster Hunter

Hydrohs

安らかに眠ります、岩田さん。
Staff member
Super Mod
Yeah I'm thinking that too since I used the peco hammer, which is fire element. Duramboros is weak to fire according to wiki.

Just fought a bunch of monsters, barioth was a complete joke. One thing I'm starting to hate is when you beat a monster, another quest pops up with the same monster. Examples being killing Royal Ludroth unlocks the capture Royal ludroth quest, and after Volcano Rathalos there's a D. Island Rathalos quest. I'm still gonna try to beat every quest as I go though.

It's good to have options though. Because besides just fighting the monster you can also gather stuff while you're there.

Maybe he meant the Azuros?

Rakurai

Quests for the same monster often have different rewards.

For instance, the quest to hunt a Lagiacrus can award you with a Lagiacrus plate, whereas the capture quest offers some of its other rare drops.

Tyranitarquake

HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAX!!!
Quests for the same monster often have different rewards.

For instance, the quest to hunt a Lagiacrus can award you with a Lagiacrus plate, whereas the capture quest offers some of its other rare drops.

I know that, but you can capture the Lagiacrus from the hunt quest (which is what I do, since the D. Island is a MUCH better place to fight Lagi than the F. Forest).

Speaking of Lagi plates, I used one I found on the Lagi long sword. I had chainslaughter, but I upgraded that down the ice path to make brineblade or whatever it's called.

Hydrohs

安らかに眠ります、岩田さん。
Staff member
Super Mod
So does everyone agree that prancing is the best gesture ever? I would usually dance over a monster's corpse but prancing is so much more appropriate.

Tyranitarquake

HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAX!!!
Managed to repel Ceadeus. Gonna try to finish him off in the rematches against him so I can get his awesome lance. I also need to do the capture Uragaan quest and then I've done every village low rank quest.

Rakurai

I'm really loving the Cannon mask.

It does enough damage that it can actually one hit some of the early monsters if you put them to sleep beforehand. It also can break parts that require impact damage and remove tails, which is another plus, seeing as a single hit is usually enough to do so against a sleeping monster.

It's the main reason I was trying to struggle through that Jhen Mohran quest, as it becomes available to create after its completion.

The things that need to be noted about it are that its damage is based on the attack stat of the Shakalaka being used as ammo (Making the Lamp mask the best choice in that regard, Attack up and Quick recovery being two must-have skills), that the cannon won't aim at a sleeping monster (Meaning you need to signal while the wearer is right next to the monster), and that it'll aim at ANY monster in the vicinity, not just large ones.

DucksGoMooful

Evergreen tail?
I was looking at the online quests on the wiki, and I didn't find the Alatreon on it. I saw it was an offline quest, but I guess not online?

Hydrohs

安らかに眠ります、岩田さん。
Staff member
Super Mod
Managed to repel Ceadeus. Gonna try to finish him off in the rematches against him so I can get his awesome lance. I also need to do the capture Uragaan quest and then I've done every village low rank quest.

I actually failed on my first attempt. I still hate water combat, and I didn't bring any Oxygen with me so after I'd used the two supply items I had to waste time trying to find some air around the map. Did it with 9 minutes to spare my second shot though. His armour looks awesome, but I'll be sticking with my Rathalos set for now, better skills.

I was looking at the online quests on the wiki, and I didn't find the Alatreon on it. I saw it was an offline quest, but I guess not online?

Well as you can see the G 3* list isn't finished yet, so he could be in that list.

Zyon

NUM NUM NUM
Early today I finally beat a Rathian, for some odd reason it was very difficult for me. Did it three tries before I finally killed it, I kept messing up an getting poisoned which didn't help. An then I farmed Barroth some more until I finally got a full set of it's armor. Just now I killed Lagiacrus without hardly trying thanks to the meal I ate before hand which raised my thunder resistance and hp. I actually liked fighting it in the water more then on land. I found it much easier to attack it and avoid it's attacks, probably would have found it to be incredibly difficult to do if I didn't have a CPP.
Anyways after doing that quest the Outfitter had more weapons and armor. I bought a Great Jawblade which had slightly more damage then my Rugged Great Sword. I then checked the blacksmith to see what new stuff opened up and found out I could upgrade my new GS for the Golem Blade, it was at a cheaper price not to mention it didn't require the same materials as the forge one(which I still didn't have) so I went for it. I might choose a different sword then the Wyvern Jawblade Hydrohs, by the time I can get it I'm sure there will be something better.

Rakurai

Alatreon is apparently only available as an event quest online, thus making his offline version the only option for those who want his gear at the moment.

Hydrohs

安らかに眠ります、岩田さん。
Staff member
Super Mod
Early today I finally beat a Rathian, for some odd reason it was very difficult for me. Did it three tries before I finally killed it, I kept messing up an getting poisoned which didn't help. An then I farmed Barroth some more until I finally got a full set of it's armor. Just now I killed Lagiacrus without hardly trying thanks to the meal I ate before hand which raised my thunder resistance and hp. I actually liked fighting it in the water more then on land. I found it much easier to attack it and avoid it's attacks, probably would have found it to be incredibly difficult to do if I didn't have a CPP.
Anyways after doing that quest the Outfitter had more weapons and armor. I bought a Great Jawblade which had slightly more damage then my Rugged Great Sword. I then checked the blacksmith to see what new stuff opened up and found out I could upgrade my new GS for the Golem Blade, it was at a cheaper price not to mention it didn't require the same materials as the forge one(which I still didn't have) so I went for it. I might choose a different sword then the Wyvern Jawblade Hydrohs, by the time I can get it I'm sure there will be something better.

You should take a look at this: http://www.gamefaqs.com/wii-u/683294-monster-hunter-3-ultimate/faqs/66686

Just because a weapon is better than another, doesn't mean it will always stay that way. It all depends on what it finally ends up as once it can't be upgraded any more. There's no sense wasting money and materials upgrading weapons if it ultimately turns out to be less useful than something else.

I've been completing the HR quests, still not sure which armour I want to make. Possibly the Jho armour to get Sharpness +1, so hard to live without that skill after becoming so used to having it. Does Reckless Abandon still exist, or has it turned into this Critical Eye skill I keep reading?

Tyranitarquake

HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAX!!!
I actually failed on my first attempt. I still hate water combat, and I didn't bring any Oxygen with me so after I'd used the two supply items I had to waste time trying to find some air around the map. Did it with 9 minutes to spare my second shot though. His armour looks awesome, but I'll be sticking with my Rathalos set for now, better skills.
You DID bring the ancient mask right?

Alright, I beat every single village low rank quest. Damn that was fun and easy, I did it using my trusty Jaggi armour. Seriously for low rank there isn't even any point using any armour other than Jaggi. You don't even need to upgrade it. I think I upgraded each part only once. I plan on using HR Wroggi armour for the rest of high rank because it looks awesome and has good skills. But yeah, I seriously need an armour change because Jaggi is getting boring now and I don't think it will get me through HR.

Time to do that event quest with Gigginox, Baggi and Barioth then I'm starting village HR :D.

Critical eye increases your affinity. I forgot what reckless abandon does.

Hydrohs

安らかに眠ります、岩田さん。
Staff member
Super Mod
You DID bring the ancient mask right?

Yeah, you have to. But my Oxygen was still depleting.

Alright, I beat every single village low rank quest. Damn that was fun and easy, I did it using my trusty Jaggi armour. Seriously for low rank there isn't even any point using any armour other than Jaggi. You don't even need to upgrade it. I think I upgraded each part only once. I plan on using HR Wroggi armour for the rest of high rank because it looks awesome and has good skills. But yeah, I seriously need an armour change because Jaggi is getting boring now and I don't think it will get me through HR.

I switched to the Rathalos armour, and I upgraded that as much as possible until I needed to use Adv Armour Spheres. It has good skills and with the upgraded defence its almost as good as HR armours, so it's been serving me well.

Critical eye increases your affinity. I forgot what reckless abandon does.

Same thing.

Tyranitarquake

HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAX!!!
I don't think you're using it right Hydrohs. The ancient mask gives you unlimited oxygen. What you do, is signal the shakalaka that is wearing it, and they will release oxygen for you.

Just beat the epic hunting event quest for the event LS. Just need to get some amber tusks to craft it. It looks so awesome.

DucksGoMooful

Evergreen tail?
Oh, how does one even signal a Shakalaka?

You know the circle and square signals on the gamepad screen. There should be one for each Shakalaka you're using (unless you're using one or none). Just press on the one with the Ancient Mask and you'll use the signal. Alternatively, in the menu where you can select items or quest info or whatever, I believe you press L or R, or ZL or ZR.

Rakurai

As useful as those shakalakas are most of the time, they seriously drive me nuts at other times.

For instance, when it takes them almost 10 seconds to respond to me signaling them when they're standing around doing nothing (Which is kind of problematic when I'm trying to get them to use the artillery mask on a sleeping monster).