• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Monster Hunter

Hydrohs

安らかに眠ります、岩田さん。
Staff member
Super Mod
Grinding HR Brachydios. The guy is actually really fun to fight. I have one issue with him though, and it's a pretty big issue. In the rewards screen, this guy gives squat. I break both his pounders, I never get the pounder in the rewards. I break his scalp, I get one every other kill. After killing him and breaking everything, I get like 3 items from the rewards screen that are from him. then there's the random hard armour sphere and rare skarab.

I think he gives so few rewards because of the occasional shinies left over by his slime puddles which may make up for it. But I only ever get tears and the occasional slime item.

In HR you have a chance of receiving the following in the rewards:

Break his horn: Brach Scalp - 76%, Brach Carapace - 24%
Break his wrist: Brach Punder - 59%, Mystery Slime - 27% and Brach Ebonshell 14%

You've got an additional 20% chance for a Pounder if you capture as well.

Tyranitarquake

HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAX!!!
The pounder percentage is so high yet I rarely get them :/. Also, not including break rewards, he seems to give much less items (top half of rewards screen) than other monsters. Is this true or is it just unlucky me?

Zyon

NUM NUM NUM
Yeah, I'm thinking of making myself some nice DS for use underwater, GS is just too cumbersome.
I know what you mean, I've been thinking of making an LS or DS myself especially for underwater combat.
I'm thinking about going for Megrez's Asterism for a LS, cause even though it's 726 Atk, it has +50 aff, plus purple sharpness.
An then possibly Alkaid's Asterism for DS still thinking about it though so it's not official.

KillerDraco

Well, just picked up MH3U and... holy crap, learning curves. Just having trouble finding a weapon type that "clicks" with me... most that I tried seem fairly slow and cumbersome (Lance, Gunlance, Axe, Hammer, Great Sword, Long Sword...), though I haven't tried out the ranged weapons yet either (full time work loves to eat up all my time).

Despite my friends raving about the game, I'm having trouble getting into it due to it feeling like such a slow start. I assume it gets better, obviously, but thus far... motivation to keep pushing forward is a little low due to the learning curve.

Hydrohs

安らかに眠ります、岩田さん。
Staff member
Super Mod
The pounder percentage is so high yet I rarely get them :/. Also, not including break rewards, he seems to give much less items (top half of rewards screen) than other monsters. Is this true or is it just unlucky me?

I think it's probably just unlucky you, but he also has way less items than a lot of monsters do. I haven't farmed him at all so I've really got nothing to compare for you.

I know what you mean, I've been thinking of making an LS or DS myself especially for underwater combat.
I'm thinking about going for Megrez's Asterism for a LS, cause even though it's 726 Atk, it has +50 aff, plus purple sharpness.
An then possibly Alkaid's Asterism for DS still thinking about it though so it's not official.

I like to start off with the Narga weapons, since they have good Raw attack, Sharpness and the added Affinity.

Well, just picked up MH3U and... holy crap, learning curves. Just having trouble finding a weapon type that "clicks" with me... most that I tried seem fairly slow and cumbersome (Lance, Gunlance, Axe, Hammer, Great Sword, Long Sword...), though I haven't tried out the ranged weapons yet either (full time work loves to eat up all my time).

Despite my friends raving about the game, I'm having trouble getting into it due to it feeling like such a slow start. I assume it gets better, obviously, but thus far... motivation to keep pushing forward is a little low due to the learning curve.

You do need to make it past the learning curve, once you get used to the game you'll have an easier time getting into it. But it is difficult. If you're finding the LS and Switch Axe cumbersome I'd say about the only weapon you'd prefer is Dual Swords, everything else is quite slow. Beyond Sword and Shield, but that's not the greatest solo weapon.

Tyranitarquake

HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAX!!!
His armour looks really cool, but I'm not so much a fan of the skills it grants.

Challenger is good and looks cool, and adrenaline +1 helps me save on some potions while I wait for the shakalakas to heal me. Bombardier also helps since I'm using his weapons.

Hydrohs

安らかに眠ります、岩田さん。
Staff member
Super Mod
Challenger is good and looks cool, and adrenaline +1 helps me save on some potions while I wait for the shakalakas to heal me. Bombardier also helps since I'm using his weapons.

Yeah, I'm gonna be making his DS as well for fun. My friend made his LS so we're gonna go in and make our own Michael Bay film.

Zarthos

Breeding Fanatic
I got the 3ds mainly for monster hunter 3 ultimate. XD

Rakurai

I find it silly that they treat the Ivory Lagiacrus like the final boss for the offline portion, seeing as the full credits roll after you beat it and all.

I ended up taking it down faster then I did any of the other subspecies. It's kind of laughable how much easier it is to fight with a ranged weapon then it is with a melee one, as it loves to leave itself wide open to attacks by electrifying itself while you're too far away for it to connect.

At least I still have the Alatreon to look forward to (Who's the real final boss of offline, as far as I'm concerned).

Hydrohs

安らかに眠ります、岩田さん。
Staff member
Super Mod
I find it silly that they treat the Ivory Lagiacrus like the final boss for the offline portion, seeing as the full credits roll after you beat it and all.

I ended up taking it down faster then I did any of the other subspecies. It's kind of laughable how much easier it is to fight with a ranged weapon then it is with a melee one, as it loves to leave itself wide open to attacks by electrifying itself while you're too far away for it to connect.

At least I still have the Alatreon to look forward to (Who's the real final boss of offline, as far as I'm concerned).

I don't think the Lagiacrus works well as a boss, it's just too easy. Really the only thing that makes it difficult is the fact that water combat is difficult. Alatreon makes a much better final boss, it's a tougher monster that you've never seen before.

Tyranitarquake

HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAX!!!
I haven't gotten to I.Lagi yet, but I'm looking forward to it. Also do you have to unlock Alatreon? Like completing all quests or certain quests etc.

Rakurai

The quest you need to complete in order to unlock it puts you up against monsters with G rank damage values, and I'm pretty sure that it also does G rank damage (If the fact that it can still OHKO you with certain attacks even if you're in fully upgraded G rank armor is any indication).

Tyranitarquake

HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAX!!!
So doing that quest after getting onto G rank online would be better if I want to keep my 3DS working?

Hydrohs

安らかに眠ります、岩田さん。
Staff member
Super Mod
Well after three tries I finally managed to beat Jhen Mohran. I don't really like how you have to rely so much on the ship, and the fact that you can run out of Cannon and Ballista ammo. I much prefer the Lao Shan and Shen Gaoren fights from Unite.

Tyranitarquake

HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAX!!!
Well after three tries I finally managed to beat Jhen Mohran. I don't really like how you have to rely so much on the ship, and the fact that you can run out of Cannon and Ballista ammo. I much prefer the Lao Shan and Shen Gaoren fights from Unite.

I used dios dual blades and murdered him several times. The hardest part of the whole quest? Getting all 8 freaking carves... I manage it in P3rd but in 3U my recor is 6 carves. Most of the time I search for this head because hes so huge and I always end up where his tail is..