• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Monster Hunter

Hydrohs

安らかに眠ります、岩田さん。
Staff member
Super Mod
The Guild quests are considerably more difficult than Village quests. In addition to the monsters having more HP, they also hit harder which I was not expecting.

Rakurai

It's kind of silly how good the relic weapons can be.

I ended up getting a lightning element longsword with positive affinity, tons of green sharpness, and an attack stat that's about 100 points higher then any longswords currently available in the 4 star quests. It's making things rather easy, to say in the least.

Hydrohs

安らかに眠ります、岩田さん。
Staff member
Super Mod
I guess the idea is that they're strong because it's not as easy to come by Abrasive, but considering they hand you enough to polish at least one relic...

bobandbill

Winning Smile
Staff member
Super Mod
I have played a good deal of this game, haha. Got to HR 7 over the weekend in single, the start of high rank. Got a velociprey armour set (with psychic's maximum skill, Attack Up (L!) and halve stun), and also getting tetsucabra armour to balance out having something very weak to ice. In multi bar testing it to grab low rank armour of a monster, I have only played with a friend on a couple train trips to/from uni. We got up to HR 3 this morning. =)

I've used the insect glaive the most, because it was the best weapon I had out of the three I wanted to use (it, longsword and charge blade). I do now have a decently upgraded fire longsword that can give my poison insect glaive a run for its money so I'll use that when advantageous. But the insect glaive is so fun! I got the art of getting the power ups I feel, and being able to pole vault is great too.

Last edited:

XXD17

Draco rex
As a first time monster hunter with MH4U, I have to say that I enjoy the game more than I thought I would...I've never been into the kind of dash and slash kind of rpg's while preferring more strategic/ passive strategy games (like pokemon), but this game has a sort of charm to it....also, I have a question...how exactly do you unlock weapons? I have all the materials needed to craft a weapon (according to the wiki) yet it's not showing up at the smith shop....if you are wondering what weapon, it's the dual blades made from kirin...I think it's called the Monarch? I was able to make some armor fine but not the weapon...

Last edited:

Rakurai

I'm a little irked by the fact that I spend a ton of time in low rank building a huge, varied roster of Palicos, only to learn that they're basically rendered obsolete by the ones that can be recruited in high rank, due to their higher starting level and better skill sets.

So yeah. You should probably only spend time getting the ones with fortes you really want in low rank. Treasure and Healing are the most useful ones from my experience.

Hydrohs

安らかに眠ります、岩田さん。
Staff member
Super Mod
I haven't done anything with Palicos at all, really. The only thing I use them for is a distraction so I can sharpen or heal without leaving the map. When they get pinned is a good opportunity for a charge attack as well.

Rakurai

I'm a little bugged by the fact that you're required to have a certain HR in order to unlock all of the caravan quests.

Especially when said quests are the ones needed to unlock the ability to trade for certain monster parts I need, namely Lagiacrus and Barioth.

bobandbill

Winning Smile
Staff member
Super Mod
I think you need a certain multiplayer HR to also unlock high rank expeditions, which is annoying. I'm on HR3 (doing it with a friend on the odd train trip), and hr8 in single. I went back and tried to clear all the low rank quests, and kept unlocking more hr6 urgent quests, and now currently have a grey tick with no apparent way to unlock more quests. It may be simply needing to do more in the multi...

Meanwhile, a friend of mine has gone crazy and when I last talked to him had hit HR 96. Dang.

Hydrohs

安らかに眠ります、岩田さん。
Staff member
Super Mod
I just beat the Shagaru Magala in Village last night, much better fight than Gore Magala in my opinion. Mostly just because the Sanctuary is a good map to fight in.

Ragnarok

#BeastMode
Staff member
Super Mod
If you ask me I wouldn't bother with expeditions and Guild Quests till you hit G Rank as that where the real cream of the crop is (especially when it comes to kinsects). Also hitting up the usual places (Gamefaqs, the MH Subreddit) for specific GQ you're looking for will make the whole experience much better.

Dragonite Fan

Hi guys, question:
I have MH3U but couldn't get into it. Nevertheless, I feel I really WANT to like MH4U, but I don't really want to spend 40 GBPs on a game I might not play (bought the last game on discount so it didnt hurt that much when I ended up not playing much).
I've heard this game is "more accessible", but couldn't really understand why. I have a new 3ds so I wont have to worry about cpp (which I also have), but I still don't know.

What do you guys think? Should I get it? Try the demo?

Last edited:

Hydrohs

安らかに眠ります、岩田さん。
Staff member
Super Mod
Hi guys, question:
I have MH3U but couldn't get into it. Nevertheless, I feel I really WANT to like MH4U, but I don't really want to spend 40 GBPs on a game I might not play (bought the last game on discount so it didnt hurt that much when I ended up not playing much).
I've heard this game is "more accessible", but couldn't really understand why. I have a new 3ds so I wont have to worry about cpp (which I also have), but I still don't know.

What do you guys think? Should I get it? Try the demo?

Monster Hunter demos are absolutely terrible for trying to get new players, because they really can't demonstrate how the game works very well. I think it's pretty fair to say that MH4U is more accessible, since the Low Rank Village quest monsters are super weak, so if there's one to try it's probably this one. Keep in mind you will have to put in a lot of time to actually get good.

Rakurai

Finally got around to seeing the credits after clearing the final 9* quest today.

Looking at those 10* quests is kind of scaring me a little, though. Frenzied monsters and elder dragons galore.

bobandbill

Winning Smile
Staff member
Super Mod
I'm only in the first half (?) of HR9 myself in single. Last thing I fought was a frenzied Brachy which was... fun. :V And next I have a frenzied Deviljho. Oh dear. Done a couple HR expeditions of late as well.

In multi I hit hr4 over the weekend via online with my friend. And tomorrow night going to meet up with a bunch of friends for multi MH. Looking forward to it. =)

Mye

Someone has to win..
Yeah, I'm pretty new to the game (just unlocked the cat follower/online matchmaking). Have to say that the interface is very user/"noob" friendly, especially the online modes. I still wish there was a way to trade items though (finding armor upgrades are annoying), but the system itself isn't too hard to "master".

Dragonite Fan

Ok, I did it. Bought the game, downloading now. Didn't want to pass on at least trying something that could be great. Hope I won't regret it...
Hopefully I can turn to you guys for help and we can play along together!

Last edited:

Ragnarok

#BeastMode
Staff member
Super Mod
You don't need 3 others to beat Dalamadur. Find 2 people you know that's already cleared it.

Just need to learn to time the super dive so you can avoid it's one shot.