• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Most annoying regional layouts in any game?

Leonhart

Imagineer
Sinnoh has several bad tough gym puzzles. snowpoint, sunnyshore and pastoria.
I agree for the most part. The Mio (Canalave) City Gym's layout caused me some trouble the first time around as well, although I eventually memorized which lifts to take so I can navigate that Gym easily now. The others not so much.

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
And you guys wonder why the newer regions and so linear and simplistic, SMH guys. You just need to think through what the puzzle mechanic (the button to raise/lower the water, the lifts, the snowballs) will do before activating them and be prepared to do a bit of trial and error. It's not hard, you just need to get used to that style of thinking.

The only puzzles I've really had that much trouble with are the ones where there's like, 20 Strength boulders in a room or something. It's much harder to think far enough ahead with something like that to find the correct solution. But those were few and far between even when they did them (only example off the top of my head was Seafloor Cavern).

OwensJB

Team Yell are minor bullies at best. Team Skull were much more believable for a gang.
But Sinnoh is really annoying since the Gen 4 game engine is really slow regarding damage withdrawal and walking. Heck even Sinnoh's bike were comparable to the running shoes in older games and nintendo hardware does not have fast forwards in their consoles.

Sinnoh has several bad tough gym puzzles. snowpoint, sunnyshore and pastoria.
The bicycle speed in DPPT wasn't as fast as the Acro Bike in RSE but it was still faster than the Running Shoes. But yeah the gym puzzles in the 2nd half of the region were so annoying like Fantina's in DP because of the slow elevators. Thankfully you only have to pass through the gyms one time per save file lol.

Kalos had the most annoying layout because of its complex web of routes. It made even Hoenn seem linear by comparison lol.

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
The bicycle speed in DPPT wasn't as fast as the Acro Bike in RSE but it was still faster than the Running Shoes. But yeah the gym puzzles in the 2nd half of the region were so annoying like Fantina's in DP because of the slow elevators. Thankfully you only have to pass through the gyms one time per save file lol.

That's not really a layout issue as much as it is a game/processing speed issue.

Kalos had the most annoying layout because of its complex web of routes. It made even Hoenn seem linear by comparison lol.

"Complex web of routes"? Again, don't really see that either, Kalos was largely very linear, the only issue Kalos had was that multiple routes fed back into Lumiose a couple of times. It's hard to call something "complex" when there's only one way forward 90% of the time.

janejane6178

Kaleido Star FOREVER in my heart <3
Galar is the most annoying cuz its super linear and its routes r super limear. There r so few towns and cities
Kalos and Hoenn r the best miss u

Pokefan_1987

Avid Pokemon TCG Card collector.
Yeah, I'll second/third/forteith Hoenn. Just all the water on hand.

At least in ORAS you could use Latias/Latios to fly around as you need to.

Galar was by far the easiest to navigate. It's just one long road with smaller side roads.
Yes in Omega Ruby after you get the Eon Flute you can bypass certain troublesome routes that requiring Rock Smash like the ones north from Mauville which lead to the desert, a Volcano route and Lavaridge Town. (There not even a logical reason why those stones reappear) :mad:

Only downside is you have to have been to the routes at least once in the past before you can "land down" there but it's a minor nuisance.

KalloFox34

Grampa's Little Helper? What's That?
Hoenn’s layout was garbage. The last quarter of the game is literally just surfing for three hours to get to where you need to go.

Unova also has a very lazy, ultra-linear layout. This came immediately after the best, most thought-out region.

janejane6178

Hoenn’s layout was garbage. The last quarter of the game is literally just surfing for three hours to get to where you need to go.

Unova also has a very lazy, ultra-linear layout. This came immediately after the best, most thought-out region.
I found the water part of Hoenn to be very unique and it was nice to seek for the next place to go there. I mean - a City which u need to go underwater to go to? Its super unique and gives an exploration feel

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder

Just Unova? Isn't that pretty much every region from Unova onward (except for Galar's Wild Area and the Expansion Pass areas, just those and not the rest of the region which is also ultra-linear)?

janejane6178

Just Unova? Isn't that pretty much every region from Unova onward (except for Galar's Wild Area and the Expansion Pass areas, just those and not the rest of the region which is also ultra-linear)?
The base Galar region was basically a "long" corridor . We didn't even have the chance to actually walk from the Dragon city to Wingdon.. We had to take a train that put us half way there. It was pathetic

KalloFox34

I mean, out of every post-Unova region, at least Kalos was okay.

I just feel that Unova’s the most linear region, though most of Galar isn’t much better.

octoboy

I Crush Everything
I've always thought that in terms of roadblocks, the worst are the ones which aren't explicitly cleared by your own actions. Sure it can be annoying to have to light up a dark cave or reserve a party-member's move for a low-power attack solely to get rid of rocks or trees, but at least in those instances are you can be said to have some agency by virtue of removing the roadblocks yourself. I've always been much more annoyed by cases like the drunk/caffeine-deprived guy, man tracking his own footprints, headache-addled psyducks or random blackouts which resolve themselves when you do something unrelated, as it feels more artificial and thus more obvious the developers are just trying to force you to perform tasks in a certain order.

Basically, I'd say that it should always be clear when your actions are the cause of a change in the game. This applies to other things too like the S. S. Anne only setting sail when you get off it, then making you feel like a sucker for missing the trip.

My one borderline example is the closed border to Saffron City. Sure the player's action does directly allow passage in that case, but it's a bit too vague that doing so is an option for my liking - it took me a while to realize I was supposed to bribe the guard in my first play, as that wasn't directly indicated, only hinted at. Maybe that one's just a pet peeve of mine, though.

KalloFox34

it took me a while to realize I was supposed to bribe the guard in my first play, as that wasn't directly indicated, only hinted at.
Yeah. The originals were probably the worst because you had to go to the top of the department store to a vending machine and buy it yourself. The game never tells you about the vending machines.

FRLG made it less aggravating, but it still gives the player no indication of where to go.

Pokefan_1987

Avid Pokemon TCG Card collector.
Yeah. The originals were probably the worst because you had to go to the top of the department store to a vending machine and buy it yourself. The game never tells you about the vending machines.

FRLG made it less aggravating, but it still gives the player no indication of where to go.
Yeah those guards seem like they never get a lot of breaks. Even for a first game its a annoying idea to close to access to Saffron City by making the player look inside Celadon City Department Store for clues.

Same with Snorlax, if you k.o. them then Snorlax is gone forever in Gen 1. It was weird decision that Snorlax is only on two spots but afterwards it never comes back. Sudowoodo as well.

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
Yeah those guards seem like they never get a lot of breaks. Even for a first game its a annoying idea to close to access to Saffron City by making the player look inside Celadon City Department Store for clues.

Same with Snorlax, if you k.o. them then Snorlax is gone forever in Gen 1. It was weird decision that Snorlax is only on two spots but afterwards it never comes back. Sudowoodo as well.
I first caught Snorlax using the Old Man glitch.

Leonhart

Imagineer

Some Pokemon are meant to be more rare than others though, so I understand why only two Kabigon (Snorlax) could be found in R/G/B/Y per save file.