• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Most Balanced Group of Starters (Read First Post)

Most balanced group of starters

• Gen 1

Votes: 4 19.0%
  • Gen 2

Votes: 1 4.8%
  • Gen 3

Votes: 8 38.1%
  • Gen 4

• Gen 5

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Gen 6

• Gen 7

• Gen 8

• Total voters

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
Which generation had the group of starters that were the most equal in terms of likeability in your opinion.

To explain this, let me give you my answer: Generation 7.

Froakie is my favorite starter of all time, but I like Froakie the most, and Fennekin a someone distant second (but still like), and Chespin, I don't like nearly as much.

In generation 7, there was something to like in each of the starters for me.

I liked Litten because I like cats. The same could be said about Rowlet and owls. Popplio was a cool rendition of a marine mammal, which are also cool.

mehmeh1

Not thinking twice!
I love all gen 3 starters, but my water bias still prevails.

mehmeh1

Not thinking twice!
Gen three does have a good set of starters, but Sceptile sort of polarizes it for me.
That being said, you can't go wrong with Swampert or Blaziken.
I really like Sceptile, tho I prefer Grovyle a bit more. Tbh the only one between the 3 lines (megas included) I'm not that big on is Combusken, and even then the anime warmed me up to it.

Leonhart

Imagineer
The Gen III and Gen IV Starters were quite balanced in the sense that most of them were dual types. Jukain (Sceptile) was the one exception, and I still think it could've easily been Grass/Dragon.

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
Chespin will always be my boy. But I kind of like Froakie and Fennekin.

Still, I vote on Gen 3. That's pratically the one and only gen where I have no idea who I'm going to pick. All 3 of them are VERY good.

TheCharredDragon

Tis the Hour to Reload
For me, it's Gen 4. While I do have a favorite among them, I easily love the others just as much, all their designs appealing to me, from base to final form. I have actually done a playthrough with each of the starters at least once, if not twice. The other gens usually have one I don't really like too much for my tastes (like Primarina for Gen 8).

Trillion

gen 3 and 4 are my favorites

gen 8 is balanced too but i wouldn't call them my favorites, they just happen to be equal

the outliers with the other gens are:

-blastoise
-bayleef and meganium
-samurott
-quilladin and chesnaught
-delphox
-popplio

Italianbaptist

Informed Casual
Voted Gen 2, I’ll include Gen 1 though as well mainly because of their simplicity. Generally if you like the base form, you will like its evolutions. There’s a natural progression and by the time we get to the final designs one doesn’t seem to overshadow the others in terms of complexity.

Gen 3 started into designs that were a bit off-putting and didn’t seem like natural progressions of the base form (Combusken, Marshtomp, Swampert). Gen 4 was really where they seemed to feel “over-designed” to me and often one evolution sticks out from the others, namely (in my opinion):

Infernape, Prinplup, Empoleon
Serperior, Emboar
Quilladin, Chesnaught (who I love but I can’t deny he feels overdesigned), Braixen, Delphox
Brionne, Primarina
Cinderace, Inteleon