• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Most Difficult 1st Gen Game?

What is the Toughest 1st Gen. Game?

• Pokemon Red Version

Votes: 3 5.6%
  • Pokemon Blue Version

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • Pokemon Yellow Version

Votes: 50 92.6%

• Total voters

Pinsirius

Sentimental Fool ;)
I'd say Red or Blue, actually. Yellow was my first game, and albeit very challenging, as I was only five or six at the time. But when I went back recently and replayed the games, I found that the ability to obtain the three Kanto starters makes it a MUCH easier game, with less difficulty finding good type-matchups. Furthermore, Charizard gains the ability to Fly, meaning that one does not need to "waste" a space on their team for the rather weak movepool of Pidgeot or go through the tedious proccess of obtaining and training an Aerodactyl or the legendary birds. My latest go through Yellow was simpler than any other game I've gone through since.

Interestingly for me, Yellow had the opposite effect. The starters were helpful, but I was also reminded that none of them- particularly Charizard until he learns flamethrower- are top-class Pokemon. They helped with type match-ups, yes, but what is it worth when your Charmeleon/Charizard is embering Koga's Venonats firing back with Psychics?

Anyway, Yellow. Red and Blue's movesets were so bad I could beat the Elite 4 with Pokes in the mid-high 40s. You can do that in Yellow too, but movesets that are actually good goes a good way towards offsetting simplistic AI.

Derp

[Something funny]
Yellow.

Pikachu is not that great in game and Brock is just hard as heck!

DasBoot

I never played Yellow, but when I played through Red, that was tough just because of not being used to that generation of Pokémon games. I played very stupidly. :p

MegaMew2

5th Gen still sucks.
Definetely Yellow.
It's hard at the beginning, seeing as your starter is Pikachu.
The first Gym Leader uses Pokemon who are immune to Electric moves, which doesn't help matters at all...

jm-9

Yellow was the hardest. I know you get all the starters, but Brock was very difficult for a trainer beginning with Pikachu, and for some reason the last few gym leaders had pokemon 10 levels higher than their Red and Blue counterparts.

RocketTwurpSLR

pokemonmaniacSLR
XD blue--i was looking round cinabar mansoin for days looking for a magmar
then i discovered that was on pokemon red

that was when they both came out

deoxysdude94

Meme Historian
Pokemon yellow definitely. It's annoying training all three starters. My team took FOREVER to make. Three starters, Snorlax, Rhydon, pikachu.

PokemonTrainerKaden

yellow because i didnt have a nidoran or a mankey at the time of brocks gym.

dragonite8

Comeback Kip
mello yello. after beating brock, you had the e4. i was lucky with vaporeon beeing choosen from your rival. i always debated whether you could evolve the pikachu. can you? i really wanna know and the only easy part about yellow was how glitchy it was. and the easy crit-hits. they need to make a super tough game like that

pikatob

OH NOES
Yellow. Definitely. I just beat the Elite Four yesterday, actually. And I did it out of luck. My Pokemon were Levels 41-44. Hypno became Lv. 45 after defeating Jolteon, Gary's last Pokemon.

The Gym Leader's Pokemon were really high-leveled. But some of them just puzzled me. What's the point of having a Lv. 50 Abra? (Referring to Sabrina)

Yellow for forcing me to start with Pikachu, and for the Gym Leaders having better Pokemon/strategies overall.

RocketTwurpSLR said:
XD blue--i was looking round cinabar mansoin for days looking for a magmar
then i discovered that was on pokemon red

Magmar is in Blue version, not Red. It's still pretty rare though. Took me a while before I finally found one, and you can only encounter it on two floors.

Last edited: