• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Most Dissapointing Pokemon You Have Used From The 5th Generation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ace Of Keys

Me and My sketch pad
Golurk. It was the "odd" pokemon in my team from the minute I caught it. It helped a lot but I was expecting a bit better from it. I still like it and use it on my team. And I'm also dissappointed in Zebstrika. It was always the weak one on my team. The only thing it has is speed.

Zebrastrike is a bit disappointing but Garvantula isn't exactly all that better. Can't say the electric types are getting good stuff here

ForeverFlame

Liepard was very disappointing. I expected more from a dark-type leopard. It's too bad Purrloin was found so early in the game.

Unfezent was also disappointing. Especially compared to Staraptor and its amazing attack stat. It was also a disappointment design-wise.

The monkey trio. Oh goodness. Their usefulness exponentially decreases as the game goes on.

On the bright side, there's other Pokemon like Volcarona that completely shattered my expectations. So it's not all doom and gloom.

ShinyZorua28

*Trumpets playing*
Unfezent, the monkey trio, and Serperior were ALL disappointing (ESPECIALLY Serperior). However Unfezent wasn't all that bad for me untill I realized that he is going cause more harm than good for the E4 and the rest of the main story. As soon as I got a Braviary after the main story (I was too lazy to level up Rufflet) I dumped it. As for the monkeys they were used for the 1st gym leader the were never seen again. I at least expected Serperior to have at least SOME potential but he ended up worse than I thought. His movepool is terrible, his stats are bad, and I ended up using other pokemon to help him when things get too tough for him, even when the opponent's pokemon are weak to him.

superyellowduck

Ace Trainer
Where to start! The starters are lacking this time. Serperior is the worst Grass type starter ever. And both Samurott and Emboar could have done much better. At least Emboar is kinda bulky. But they are not like Empoleon and Infernape... Any pokemon up to #032 (Gigalith) are lacking. Lilligant is very one-dimensional. It would have been better if Lilligant could learn more varied moves. I always liked the look of Sawsbuck. Absolutely awful. It has a good move pool but so many weaknesses. There are only 2 decent grass types in game. Leavanny and Ferrothorn. Jellicent is a bit lacking. t would have been nice for Jellicent to have better stats i.e. more Special Attack and Defense.

Blue_Ringed_Umbreon

Egg Count: 326
I completely agree with Serperior. When the starters were announced, Snivy appealed straight away; looked so cool and had heaps of attitude! Its the first time in any generation that I didnt choose the Water starter. It went into the PC at lvl 37.
Didnt expect much of Liepard/Zebstrika/Unfezant, as you catch them easily and quite early on; same can be said for the monkeys.
I have to say, I used Cobalion through E4, and loved him! I think its the first time since Moltres that I used a Legendary for my first run through the E4.
In all fairness, each of the starters in Gen5 are lacking, which is really disappointing........

Pikasaur

Lazy Summer
Purrloin, Poor cat cant take damage or give it out.

Only damaging Dark attack it gets before it evolves is Pursuit. Lillipup and patrat at least get bite and crunch.

Shame really, since Purrloin is one of my favorite 5th gen pokemon.

Strong pokemon,weak pokemon,it really depends on the trainer.:D
So for me there is no bad or weak pokemon.

I agree. it all depends on your strategy and understanding of the pokemon you're using. Sounds like most of the trainers in this thread don't know about IVs or how to invest EVs. I'm just keepin it lit

I don't remember anything being disappointing; everything on my team definitely had its strengths and weaknesses. For example: Though my Vanillish did take a lot longer to evolve fully than the others, it still had decent sp. attack and could take out ground, grass, and dragons.

Iwz8472

i was always one to power level one or two pokes, so i chose my samurott, zebstrika, and golett... samurott was pretty bamf, but zebstrika and golurk were just terrible. Zebstrika couldnt hit worth jack and Golurk was pointless for the gyms and elite four... fortunately i replaced my zebstrika with zekrom and my golurk with a chandelure :p

Hilda

I didn't get dissapointed with any because I have the ability to use every Pokemon in a good way.

infernape612

Village Idiot
Unfezant and Purrloin. Unfezant was... decent, and I think the other early Normal/Flying types were better. Purrloin was so useless, I eventually thought to myself, "Wait a minute... I get scared every time I see a Herdier..." (this was early in the game) "and I'm using PURRLOIN?!" In comes Lillipup, and now I have a proud Stoutland.

FirstRate

Mine was probably Pansear. When you first get it at level 10, it's Fire STAB is Incinerate, which was so annoying to me because it's so weak. I actually beat Cilan's Pansage with my Lillipup (both Pansear and Lillipup were level 13) because Pansear got knocked out. It did better once it learned Flame Burst, but before that it was a huge pain.

Panpour. The monkeys just suck in general. I was expecting more. They are given to you like starters after all. I'm not implying starters are all that great either. They really aren't. Another one would be Scolipede. Sure, it's fast. But there's no muscle behind that speed. None of it's other stats stand out at all.

I didn't get dissapointed with any because I have the ability to use every Pokemon in a good way.
watch-out-we-got-a-badass-over-here-meme.png

Last edited:

ohjeezitskim

I was with a lot, but that was based on looks. LIke the starters.. I didn't i have that oh my gosh, they look awesome effect as i did with earlier generations. But I can say I was disappointed with simisear, I believe that what it was called.. I got ride of it before it was level twenty. It couldn't knock out a grass pokemon with it's fire move, so I replaced it.

Aegon

Zebrastrike is a bit disappointing but Garvantula isn't exactly all that better. Can't say the electric types are getting good stuff here
Hey, Galvantula is pretty good. Compoundeyes gives it near-perfect accuracy Thunder (91%). A set of Thunder / Bug Buzz / Energy Ball / HP Ice works wonders.

Dr. Leggs

Astral Cowboy
Beheeyem is obviously very slow, but tremendously more frail than I expected... Sort of trudging through my White playthrough with him. @_@

Shine

Psyched Up
Staff member
Beheeyem is obviously very slow, but tremendously more frail than I expected... Sort of trudging through my White playthrough with him. @_@

The fact that it is completely outclassed by Reuniclus (who appears in the same Gen) doesn't help.

I agree. it all depends on your strategy and understanding of the pokemon you're using. Sounds like most of the trainers in this thread don't know about IVs or how to invest EVs.

...for Serperior, not sure about the people in here, but from what I've seen so far in real life and in other places, generally what people didn't see is that it isn't meant to be a sweeper like most starters, but rather a bulky tank, like Meganium.
It even has the same movepool problem like Meganium. Except that Serperior is fast AND has access to Coil.

Status
Not open for further replies.