• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Most Dissappointing Video Game of 2009

noobers

ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ
There was a lot of hype surrounding Scribblenauts, leading to disappointed. A lot of people just thought "OMG YOU CAN RIDE A LLAMA THROUGH A TORNADO GOTY!"

Fenix

Tremulant
Brilliant idea, poor execution. It's basically "summon wings, summon cthulhu, beat game."
It was more like "summon pegasus, summon basilisk, beat game" for me.

The reasons why I think Scribblenauts was disappointing was a) horrible, horrible controls b) boring, uninteresting puzzles.

DaAuraWolf

I’m Back...
I was dissapointed about Mario and Sonic at the Winter Olympic Games.Yeah,It had coustuems and shops.And Scriblenauts,It was fun at first,but uninstreing later.

Dunsparce Man

King of Dunsparce
I was very disappointed with Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2 as well. I had it for the Wii, and was really shocked when the sequel was so much worse than the original. The first one is my favorite Wii game, too.

Same for me. I just could NOT stop playing MUA1, but for MAU2... It was short and not as fun...

Fossil Man

CRAGLY-HO!
I'm probably going to get hung at high noon for saying this...

Brutal Legend.

Not that's it a terrible game, don't get me wrong. Great cast, nice story with a cool concept. It was the gameplay that really made me dissapointed. I wasn't really expecting a RTS from this and thought it would be a Platformer, sadly I got "Ok, let's order troops HERE and MAYBE do a one or two hit combo."

Wat.

Brutal Legend.

Not that's it a terrible game, don't get me wrong. Great cast, nice story with a cool concept. It was the gameplay that really made me dissapointed. I wasn't really expecting a RTS from this and thought it would be a Platformer, sadly I got "Ok, let's order troops HERE and MAYBE do a one or two hit combo."

I think a lot of people had this problem. I, however, was looking forward to an RTS and got what I wanted. :D

Prelude

Prelude
Need for Speed: Shift. I don't even know why I got that game instead of Burnout Paradise or something.

I don't really buy a lot of games though so I don't really have to feel a lot of heartbreak when it comes to that :D

Slick

Banned

Brutal Legend.

Not that I played it, but I was disappointed to hear it was RTS more than Action. I mean seriously, I've always wanted to be an axe-wielding Jack Black that does awesome.

Gentleman Skeleton

I'd have to say ODST. I was expecting much more for a $60 price tag. It was clearly nothing more than $30 DLC and yet the critics thought of it as the second coming. The only reason for it I can think of is bribery.

Dunsparce Man

King of Dunsparce
You Americans, complaining about a $60 game.. we have to pay upwards of $90. I guess that's what we get for living in such a goddamn mothe--

-rants about country-

And to think games used to be like $40 for like GC I think. But $90 for one video game? I'd only be able to be two games with the money I get from my uncle. Good thing I'm more of a "Retro Gamer" so the games I buy are with Wii Points, or only a few dollars for the actual cartridge version. :D

Dread Advocate

†Stay Metal†
i was disappointed with two games: WH40K Dawn of War 2 and LotR Conquest.

when i first got Conquest, i got it for pc. it installed correctly and would pull up the start menu, but it said that it had some sort of trouble contacting EA, therefore i couldn't play it. i searched for solutions and found one. i tried the solution, which worked for everyone at Pandemic's community, but it failed for me. i even lowered my firewall to get it to work, and it still would play. then i got it for 360. just to put it plain, it sucked elephant genitals. all of the classes except for archer are overpowered. i got all of the singleplayer achievements, and because i dont i have Live on my 360 i cant get the remaing like 12. so theres no point in playing it anymore.

i was really hyped up about DoW2 when i found out about it. i got it the day it came out without preoreders and got all the preorder bonuses. pretty good so far. i install it, it installs right. then i start to play it. i expected a fast-paced rts like its predecessor and StarCraft, but instead its a medium-paced rtt. and it lagged so bad, i couldnt tell if it was a game or a slideshow. but i managed to beat it. i dont play it anymore and i dont plan on getting its expansion. the only thing i like about it is its inclusion of the Tyranids.

-Raiga-

Scribblenauts. Good game for a while but then it just got boring. So much wasted potential.

Wasted potential? Its a game anyone could have technically thought of "a game with everything", its the fact someone actually had the balls to make a game of this size on a ds that had everyone excited. It didn't wasted anything and was organized better than anyone here possibly could have done it.

Brilliant idea, poor execution. It's basically "summon wings, summon cthulhu, beat game."

It would be nice if you explained poor execution better, it did everything it said it was going to do, let you use any noun as long as it exists and isn't vulgar.

It was more like "summon pegasus, summon basilisk, beat game" for me.

The reasons why I think Scribblenauts was disappointing was a) horrible, horrible controls b) boring, uninteresting puzzles.

Assuming you could be bothered to do something like, play for 2 minutes the controls aren't horrible. Its simple, point, and he moves. Point at an object, it moves the object. As long as you have the hand eye coordination of at least a 2 year old it wasn't that hard to not screw up.

Yes there are the instances where he will move accidentally if you don't manage to get the item, but having the controls on the d-pad would not only take the point out of the creators desire to make use of the DS to the fullest, and would be incredibly awkward given everything else in the game uses the stylus, they made the right decision doing it how they did.

I fail to see how the puzzels were uninteresting, they were consistently different using the game's various sprites and made you do different things. Much of which I doubt a lot of people would ever think of.

Honestly, and this is also directed at the quoted post above this as well, if you found the game to be easy and boring its because you made it boring. Its the way every true sandbox game is, it all depends on how much you are willing to make of the game. I thought it was pretty obvious the game wasn't hard, it was designed so that people got creative and seen the many different ways to complete the level. Of course going through each level using the black hole is possible, but your not proving anything to anyone if you do it that way other than you have a lack of creativity.

I found it odd I was the main person saying how dissapointing this game was before, but at least I made an attempt to actually figure out why it was disappointing. I really just think everyone misinterpreted "every noun in the world" as "the game can use everything in the world to its fullest extent", in which I think people need to realize the DS isn't capable of.

Slick

Banned
Wasted potential? Its a game anyone could have technically thought of "a game with everything", its the fact someone actually had the balls to make a game of this size on a ds that had everyone excited. It didn't wasted anything and was organized better than anyone here possibly could have done it.

It would be nice if you explained poor execution better, it did everything it said it was going to do, let you use any noun as long as it exists and isn't vulgar.

Assuming you could be bothered to do something like, play for 2 minutes the controls aren't horrible. Its simple, point, and he moves. Point at an object, it moves the object. As long as you have the hand eye coordination of at least a 2 year old it wasn't that hard to not screw up.

Yes there are the instances where he will move accidentally if you don't manage to get the item, but having the controls on the d-pad would not only take the point out of the creators desire to make use of the DS to the fullest, and would be incredibly awkward given everything else in the game uses the stylus, they made the right decision doing it how they did.

I fail to see how the puzzels were uninteresting, they were consistently different using the game's various sprites and made you do different things. Much of which I doubt a lot of people would ever think of.

Honestly, and this is also directed at the quoted post above this as well, if you found the game to be easy and boring its because you made it boring. Its the way every true sandbox game is, it all depends on how much you are willing to make of the game. I thought it was pretty obvious the game wasn't hard, it was designed so that people got creative and seen the many different ways to complete the level. Of course going through each level using the black hole is possible, but your not proving anything to anyone if you do it that way other than you have a lack of creativity.

I found it odd I was the main person saying how dissapointing this game was before, but at least I made an attempt to actually figure out why it was disappointing. I really just think everyone misinterpreted "every noun in the world" as "the game can use everything in the world to its fullest extent", in which I think people need to realize the DS isn't capable of.

I smell butthurt fanboy.

wait, is it good if I can smell butthurt?

BlitzBlast

Busy with School
Wouldn't that mean you've smelled it before?

...have you been frequenting Sonic boards?

Ash-kid

Ash-kid
Deadly Creatures. I've played this once, it was strange, I didn't like the scorpions.