• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Most drastic Pokemon design changes after evolution!

fitzy909

Just another guy
Kirlia into Gallade. But it made sense. Magmar into Magmortar like WOAH cannon arms out of nowhere? Ok.

That was my one, but the same magmortar argument can be used for Rhyperior. Cannon arms were a theme for gen 4.

Kiruria

La Melancolie Noir
And
Kirlia -> Gallade
although this evolution is cool.

Clamperl -> Gorebyss/Huntail is a little bit wierd.

Well, at least with these two, the more advanced forms kinda sorta look like the pre-evolution... in Clamperl's case, both Huntail and Gorebyss have clam shells in their design (the latter moreso). Gallade still looks a lot like Kirlia, but I think the drastic part is the change in stats and effective moves. Ralts and Kirlia are more special attackers, and then all of a sudden Gallade is more physical, which usually forces players to completely change its moveset after evolution.

Similarly, some evolutions are more drastic in more trivial things, such as cry. A prime example of this is Quilava -> Typhlosion. I remember seeing a Youtube comment that summed up this one nicely:
Cyndaquil: dee doo
Quilava: da doo
Typhlosion: BLAAAAAARGH

Furry_Ninja

Cuddly Assassin
Remoraid and Octillery from an attacking method perspective do make some sense, both utilize beams and projectiles, but from a design point no.

TayRanitar

Hoenn Again
Clamperl to Huntail/Gorebyss makes no sense to me, didn't know they were related for a long time.

pokefreak2014

Shiny Hunter!
Ampharos to mega Ampharos. That long, flowing fluff...

Firebrand

Indomitable
Remoraid is based off a handgun, Octillery a cannon. So I will admit, small fish to octopus doesn't make much sense, but small firearm becoming a large artillery gun makes a bit of sense.

SILVER XD

Momentai, bro.
Lolwut how are remoraid and octillery based on firearms

Well, the marks on Remoraid are quite similar to the chamber divets on a revolver and Remoraid's dex entries remark on its accuracy and shooting range(of water, of course). Not to mention that Remoraid's Japanese name includes the word "teppō", meaning water gun. (Just noticed that this would make Mantine something of an aquatic fighter plane, which is really cool :D )

Octillery being octopus + artillery is fairly obvious.

~CallOfTheIndie~

Now on vinyl
If that's not enough, think back to the episode Lights, Camperupt, Action. They showed a Pokemon movie featuring Snorlax and Machoke using a couple Remoraid as guns. Please don't say they didn't look similar to guns in that scenario... :|

On a different subject, I did think Ampharos to Amphabulous Mega Ampharos was slightly drastic, but when it comes down to it, the evolution line is based on sheep getting their wool shredded off. Eventually, the wool grows back, which is what Mega Ampharos is about. Sure, it looks like hair, but it's more the idea than the design.

To me, some of the more drastic evolutions/Megas are Heracross to Mega Heracross and Lickitung to *shudders* Lickilicky...

Firebrand

Indomitable
On a different subject, I did think Ampharos to Amphabulous Mega Ampharos was slightly drastic, but when it comes down to it, the evolution line is based on sheep getting their wool shredded off. Eventually, the wool grows back, which is what Mega Ampharos is about. Sure, it looks like hair, but it's more the idea than the design.

To me, some of the more drastic evolutions/Megas are Heracross to Mega Heracross and Lickitung to *shudders* Lickilicky...

Honestly, Ampharos is one of the less drastic changes, imo. It got a few more red baubles and a luxuriant mane of fabulous hair, as opposed to a massive change like the Charizards, Mewtwo Y or even Aggron.

Lolwut how are remoraid and octillery based on firearms

Loosely, that's how.

Hexin' Wishes

Diva Extraordinaire
Probably already said but Golbat to Crobat will never not be jarring for me.

Also, I might be alone in this but Hitmontop doesn't fit in with the rest of its line. I can see Tyrogue becoming Hitmonchan and even Hitmonlee but Hitmontop is a cartoony stretch.

Mime Jr doesn't even look like it belongs to Mr Mime. For one, it's actually adorable while Mr Mime looks like an Amber Alert needs to be in place.

And, as much as I love it, Sylveon just doesn't quite fit in with the others either. It's the shape of the eyes (though I guess they are closer to Eevee's) and all those damn ribbon like things.

A lot of the Gen IV cross gen evolutions were ridiculous in a bad way. Where did Electabuzz get all that fur and have it's head shape change? When did Magmar join the Real Housewives of New Jersey? Why did Magneton melt into a giant metallic creation? I still think Yanmega looks like someone's hardcore version of what Yanma should look like. Ambipom looks like an allegory for what happens when a cute child star grows up! Also, Gallade looks awkward, it has got some baby-making hips for a male.

EDIT: Shout-out to Dusknoir, love ya but you don't look like your previous stages. Err, looking closely at head and hands, I guess you sort of do... just with a grandma christmas sweater.

Last edited:

Yurimin

Snowflake Trainer
Definitely Remoraid to Octillery - but I can see lots of people have already commented this

Surskit to Masquerain was partially surprising to me personally.

Baby V Alex

I must say

Pancham --> Pangoro

Their designs don't quite match, but I guess it's because different designers made them.

ValexHD

Shiny Chainer
Magneton and Dugtrio...What the Fletchling? Three pokemon who just start hanging out and also become a higher life form? Wat

Blasting Toise

Magneton and Dugtrio...What the Fletchling? Three pokemon who just start hanging out and also become a higher life form? Wat
Actually those are least drastic changes since all they seem to do is multiply by 3 XD-

Or in fact Dugtrio gets angrier as well. I somehow understand Magneton though since it's mechanical pokemon- 3 magnemites combining is not that odd, but Dugtrio is really odd pokemon- it's just three big and angry digletts together or is it one 3-headed diglett- that evolution I have never understood.

I must say

Pancham --> Pangoro

Their designs don't quite match, but I guess it's because different designers made them.
I don't see anything odd in that- it's just like Teddiursa and Ursaring IMO- didn't even know that those Pandas were made by different designers since they look so similar to me :p

I agree with most people that Remoraid to Octillery is weirdest evolution there is. I understand gun-to-cannon argument but it was very surprising first time I realized that remoraid is actually going to evolve into Octillery... so weird- fish turns into cephalopod....

but breeding mechanics are even more weird- Skitty and Wailord is classic but today I learned that Squirtle can breed with Kabuto. Both have shell yes, but turtles are reptiles not shellfish (even though Blastoise has been "shellfish-pokemon" for a long time....)

Pokemon just are much weirder than real-life animals :p

Other oddities are Trapinch to Vibrava and then Flygon. And on such a high level that when I first played Gen 3 I thought Trapinch is not going to evolve at all (trained him like to level 28 and then thought that ok no other form then. Then I was wondering from where I can find first form of Flygon? I never even saw Vibrava (no one has it in Sapphire) before I learned that Trapinch is actually going to evolve into Flygon XD

Last edited:

tardis

For trapinch's line, it is based on antlions so it makes sense, but I think the fish to octopus dilemma is something we may never understand.

XXD17

Draco rex
For trapinch's line, it is based on antlions so it makes sense, but I think the fish to octopus dilemma is something we may never understand.

Clamperl to gorebyss/ huntail is just as weird...and for the same reason too...I guess they just like turning fish into mollusks and vice versa lol...