• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Most drastic Pokemon design changes after evolution!

Blazekickblaziken

Snarktastic Ditz
Why does a gnat become a moth? Why does a fish become an octopus? Why does a dove become a pheasant? Because Pokemon. :p

Hey at least venonat and venomoth are both still bugs, and pidove and unfezeant are both still birds.

remoraid(a fish) to octillery (a cephalopod) is like if your dog suddenly turned into a frog. I will always consider this evolution line the weirdest, even after understanding the whole revolver -> canon thing.

The Mareep evolutionary line gets pretty weird, I mean you go from two sheep pokemon to...well whatever Ampharos is.

Ampharos is a sheared sheep with a much heavier emphasis on it's light house inspiration.

phanpycross

God-king
;175; > ;468;

oh, the wonders of evolution.

Chrosion

#1 waifu
;061; --> ;186; These frogs look nothing alike???
;161; --> ;162; They just don't look similar except for colors and eyes...
;278; --> ;279; It goes from a seagull to a pelican???

octoboy

I Crush Everything
I don't get why people think magikarp becoming gyarados is weird. Sure a carp isn't a sea serpent, but just look at the two of them. Same barbells, same pectoral fins, same dorsal fins, same big, gapey mouths, same big, hard-looking scales. I actually didn't even have to look at them to remember those. It changes colour sure, but I don't think it can be said it isn't consistent.

And a lot of these are less strange when one accounts for the fact that some of these pokémon have parts of their body covered in certain forms. Shelgon's body is covered by its shell, who knows what's under it? Burmy has leaves on it, but without the leaves, it's black with a pointy mouth just like mothim. It's actually closer to its evolved form in appearance than most complete-metamorphosing pokémon. And as for karrablast, the only visible part of escavalier that isn't in a shell looks just like karrablast.

As for ones that *are* drastic changes, venonat > venomoth would get my vote as they nearly look nothing alike, but at least they have similar mouthparts and colouring at least, and the change is somewhat plausible if venonat is regarded as some kind of larval form (it does look a bit fuzzy like a caterpillar), so let me just agree with the one who said clamperl. Its evolved forms don't look a thing like it.

DJB241

Long-term enthusiast
Props to gamer_legend. Nice observation. I think all pokemon with a larval mid form such as Salamence, Dragonite, Tyranitar etc. Also, I love the stat spike after you've went to the trouble of getting one of theses to 40, 55, or even as far as 64. Also, Charizard X is the perfect balance of far out and different, while keeping it Charizard.

Hexin' Wishes

Diva Extraordinaire
That deserves a hug.

Actually there is one question I have
;137; ;233; ;474;

How does a Pokemon that gets banned for causing Epileptic Seizures end up looking like he suffered one himself? An inside joke there GameFreak? :p

Well, Dubious Disc is the held item that makes Porygon2 evolve into Porygon-Z and, unlike Up-Grade, it's manufacturer is unknown so it's most likely hinting at a corrupted bootleg version. Thus Porygon-Z is basically a messed up (and probably full of viruses) version of Porygon2.

SILVER XD

Momentai, bro.
Easy, he grew up.

Ampharos is just an evolved sheep that is trimmed, that is why he gets wool when he mega-evolves.

That's not it. Ampharos's Japanese name (Denryuu) is the Japanese term for an electric charge but can also mean "electric dragon". This is where some mythological shoehorning comes in. Mega Ampharos's design takes elements from the myth of Toyotama-hime (translated: Lunimous jewel princess), a legend about a godess who became a dragon after giving birth to her son. The hair and jewels would not only refer to Toyotama-hime both in name and appearance but would also follow the traditions of Asian dragons sporting manes and "dragon pearls".

Also, design wise, I think Poliwhirl to Politoed is pretty drastic. It makes sense scientifically, but the design transition is jarring. Vulpix to Ninetales is also jarring.

Navarch

Kirlia into Gallade. But it made sense. Magmar into Magmortar like WOAH cannon arms out of nowhere? Ok.

10th Doctor

Timelord
Remoraid to Octillery. At least Trapinch to Vibrava made some sense (Trapinch being the larval form of Vibrava) but a remora fish to an octopus? Makes absolutely no sense.

5221A

Remoraid to Octillery. At least Trapinch to Vibrava made some sense (Trapinch being the larval form of Vibrava) but a remora fish to an octopus? Makes absolutely no sense.
That is probable one of the few that dose not make any sense. Actually only learned that a couple years back when I tried breeding an Octillery, imagine my surprise when a fish came out of my octopus' egg!

Tangeh

Inkay to Malamar is pretty drastic, too. Cute little bubbly floating pink squid to evil anthropomorphic Davy-Jones-from-POTC-esque squid. Its butt also becomes its head and vice versa which is... strange.

Disaster_Lord

Sad Bayleef is Sad.
Clamperl. From a bivalve to a fish is quite intriguing

Rotom1598

I'd say

Karrablast -> Escavelier
Shelmet -> Accelgor

Although I do understand the method of evolution. Karrablast takes the shell of shelmet and becomes an escavelier but shlemet looks more like escavelier and karrablast looks like accelgor.

And
Kirlia -> Gallade
although this evolution is cool.

Clamperl -> Gorebyss/Huntail is a little bit wierd.