• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Most hated video game characters

Status
Not open for further replies.

classic myth

Gen One Veteran
Raiden from metal gear solid two.... Is widely hated for good reason.

Jb

Tsun in the streets
I know I'm going to piss off a lot of people by saying this, but frankly I've pissed off so many people in my life to the point I really don't care.

...But to tell you the truth, I really REALLY dislike Solid Snake. In all honesty, I don't get his appeal. Many people call him cool and bad-*** and what not, but to be honest I really don't see anything cool or bad-*** about an overly serious human from an overrated game franchise who hides in a box, uses mostly generic bog-standard FPS weaponry, and doesn't have much personality to him or his design. ...This is just an opinion of mine, but I just plain hate the character.

So you hate the character because you don't get the character.

MugoUrth

Bibarel's adorable.
So you hate the character because you don't get the character.

No, cause I don't get the characters appeal, not cause I don't get the character himself.

Sohryu

Be a Man!
Maybe I should clarify. The reason I wouldn't put Porky Minch is because even though he is a big scumbag, he fits his story role pretty well. I can't say he is the worst character, but he is unlikable. Maybe I could say him since this is the "most hated" video game characters.

I could hate him because of his personality in the game. But well, he's a really well made character. Its personality fits the story and his role as well. I kinda agree with you. But I he is kinda unlikeable, so he could fit here pretty well.

One character I personally hated is Tidus, from FFX. I hate this guy to death! His laughs is annoying and he looks so, so much false and that love story with Yuna has make me hate him more. Sure, hate is a quite strong word, but it does fit what I feel for him. There's also Yuna, but it's not hate per se... I've liked her personality in FFX, but in X-2 she's simply a annoying [offense for girl here that starts with B]!
Oh yeah... And there's Vaan. But he shouldn't even exist, so who cares.

Eon Master

Born from the Flames
No, cause I don't get the characters appeal, not cause I don't get the character himself.

No... you honestly don't get the character. Your entire post higher up the page pretty much confirms it. You might as well have screamed it at us in all-caps.

Anyway, the character I dislike the most... probably Micaiah from Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn. Not so much her character in and of itself, but because she was essentially wasted during the story. She was set up to be an awesome character and a good protagonist, and yet by the second half of the game, she's almost entirely replaced by Ike and used as a glorified mouthpiece for Yune. Seriously. Elincia was a more dynamic female character in Radiant Dawn than Micaiah.

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
I know I'm going to piss off a lot of people by saying this, but frankly I've pissed off so many people in my life to the point I really don't care.

...But to tell you the truth, I really REALLY dislike Solid Snake. In all honesty, I don't get his appeal. Many people call him cool and bad-*** and what not, but to be honest I really don't see anything cool or bad-*** about an overly serious human from an overrated game franchise who hides in a box, uses mostly generic bog-standard FPS weaponry, and doesn't have much personality to him or his design. ...This is just an opinion of mine, but I just plain hate the character.
Though a different character, watch the ending of Metal Gear Solid 3 at least 2 times and tell me that none of the Snakes have "much of a personality". Snake's cool-headed about drastic situations, it's what he trains to do. He hides in a box, because he can use conventional items as well as heavy duty items.

Yeah, watch the ending of MGS3 twice at least, keeping in mind that though it is a different Snake, they have the same basic personality. Then try to say that Snake doesn't have much of a personality.

arronishere

Random Trainer
Fi! Navi never bugged me that much and Fi was after Midna and Tatl who were big improvements over Navi as they had a bit of personality and motives for being there so they came up with a good concept but ruined it with the most boring and tedious character the could think of.

MugoUrth

Bibarel's adorable.
No... you honestly don't get the character. Your entire post higher up the page pretty much confirms it. You might as well have screamed it at us in all-caps.

I get the character just fine! He's basically an overly serious character with a generic look, weapons, and an overall generic game. You could argue that he appeared much earlier than most other similar characters, but still.

Though a different character, watch the ending of Metal Gear Solid 3 at least 2 times and tell me that none of the Snakes have "much of a personality". Snake's cool-headed about drastic situations, it's what he trains to do. He hides in a box, because he can use conventional items as well as heavy duty items.

Yeah, watch the ending of MGS3 twice at least, keeping in mind that though it is a different Snake, they have the same basic personality. Then try to say that Snake doesn't have much of a personality.

"Cool-headed," barely qualifies as personality to me, especially when that's basically your only real personality trait beyond being overly serious. Sorry.

Another big problem I have with the character is, well... Why the **** do I have to like him or even tolerate him? Every time I say something bad about him it's legions of fans telling me I'm not allowed to.

MugoUrth

Bibarel's adorable.
JB, do you ever make any posts on this forum that aren't A: Bashing an over-hated character or franchise in a topic of said franchise, or B: Targeted at me? And besides that, my reasons are perfectly fine. I highly dislike overly serious and generic characters like Solid Snake who use generic weapons and have little in the form of real personality, plus have a huge fanbase of people who think others should be FORCED to like or even tolerate the character WITHOUT there being an exponentially more annoying anti-fanbase telling them they're idiots for supporting a character or franchise (Ex: Sonic the Hedgehog). Is that really hard to understand? Cause the more you try to convince me not to dislike Solid Snake, the more I do dislike him.

In a nutshell: I think, in general, he's boring, unlikeable, and overrated. Is that wrong for me to think this?

Last edited:

Jb

Tsun in the streets
JB, do you ever make any posts on this forum that aren't A: Bashing an over-hated character or franchise in a topic of said franchise,
Yes
>Also implying that Sonic is over-hated
or B: Targeted at me?
Yes

And besides that, my reasons are perfectly fine.
-You say he's generic, despite the series being like the first in it's genre.
-You say he uses bog-standard FPS weaponry which is untrue
-You say he doesn't have much personality, yet you say you don't get him
-You don't like his design, yet he has many
I highly dislike overly serious and generic characters like Solid Snake
Keeping a cool head =/= overly serious
who use generic weapons
Wrong again
and have little in the form of real personality
Have you played the games?
plus have a huge fanbase of people
MG fanbase is pretty small compared to tons of other games series
who think others should be FORCED to like or even tolerate the character
No one thinks this
WITHOUT there being an exponentially more annoying anti-fanbase telling them they're idiots for supporting a character or franchise (Ex: Sonic the Hedgehog).
wat even
Cause the more you try to convince me not to dislike Solid Snake, the more I do dislike him.
Never did

MugoUrth

Bibarel's adorable.
Yes
>Also implying that Sonic is over-hated

When people like you act like even GOOD Sonic games suck and that your opinion on it is fact, then yes he is.

-You say he's generic, despite the series being like the first in it's genre.
-You say he uses bog-standard FPS weaponry which is untrue
-You say he doesn't have much personalit, yet you say you don't get him
-You don't like his design, yet he has many

-But he paved the way for a guh-zillion characters to come. Now a-days about 75% of videogame characters are like him.
-Not really.
-Never said that. Stop putting words in my mouth.
-Yet they generally aren't that different from each other. Plus, none of them are really interesting.

Keeping a cool head =/= overly serious

Never said that.

Wrong again

Uh, NOT wrong. Have you played ANY of the games? He uses, again, what just about 75% of games these days basically use.

Have you played the games?

Apparently more than you have.

MG fanbase is pretty small compared to tons of other games series

Doesn't make its fanbase any less unruly when it comes to someone bashing their favorite character.

No one thinks this

And yet, you're challenging my opinion.

Often times when a series gets a lot of annoying fans, it often gets a LOT of annoying haters as well, which are usually worse than the fans.

Never did

Frankly, I don't want to discuss my disdain for the character any further. Can you just let be and move on?

Last edited:

Jb

Tsun in the streets
When people like you act like even GOOD Sonic games suck and that your opinion on it is fact, then yes he is.
lol 'good' Sonic games
-But he paved the way for a guh-zillion characters to come. Now a-days about 75% of videogame characters are like him
Wrong
-Not really.
I don't see spy-cams, and other bond gadgets being use in most games today. So no.
-Never said that. Stop putting words in my mouth.
and doesn't have much personality to him
You put them in your own
-Yet they generally aren't that different from each other. Plus, none of them are really interesting.
ok
Never said that.
You'tr implying it because that's what he is.
Uh, NOT wrong. Have you played ANY of the games? He uses, again, what just about 75% of games these days basically use.
Then you don't know **** about games.
Apparently more than you have.
Yet i have a better grasp on the games then you
Doesn't make its fanbase any less unruly when it comes to someone bashing their favorite character.
Wait, people get made when you bash their favorite character for unfounded reasons?
Mind = Blown
My actions don't speak for everyone
Often times when a series gets a lot of annoying fans, it often gets a LOT of annoying haters as well, which are usually worse than the fans.
but what does this have to do with anything
And yet, you're making assumptions.
Frankly, I don't want to discuss my disdain for the character any further. Can you just let be and move on?
Maybe if you stop hating on people just becuase a lot of people like them and for nothing else.

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
I never knew that a Nikita missile was a generic weapon. When I played Twin Snakes, I had fun messing with that weapon.

I still don't get posting Snake under most hated video game characters. I also don't get Sonic, but whatever jb.

Saying cool headed isn't a personality, is like saying Calm isn't a nature in Pokemon. You know, because it makes sense.

I'm still an advocate for the MGS3 ending challenge.

MugoUrth

Bibarel's adorable.
lol 'good' Sonic games

That's exactly my point.

Not really. Media in general is plagued by overly serious characters with no real personality.

I don't see spy-cams, and other bond gadgets being use in most games today. So no.

I do. And even then, just about every shooting game or stealth game or whatever has a weapon or two that's an attempt at creativity. Doesn't make the rest of the arsenal any less cliche.

You put them in your own

Lol, because saying he doesn't have personality = I don't get the character. Which it totally does not mean that. It's not that I don't get him, it's that he doesn't have personality.

You'tr implying it because that's what he is.

You can be cool and calm and STILL have personality.

Then you don't know **** about games.

How many non-shooting games are there these days? Even ones that aren't shooting games generally have similar protagonists.

Yet i have a better grasp on the games then you

Then why are you making stuff up about the game?

Wait, people get made when you bash their favorite character for unfounded reasons?
Mind = Blown

My reasons are perfectly fine, you're just being butthurt.

My actions don't speak for everyone

Yet you act like they do.

but what does this have to do with anything

When an unlikeable character is made even MORE unlikeable by its unruly fans, an anti-fanbase often makes the character less unlikeable.

And yet, you're making assumptions.

And you're not?

Maybe if you stop hating on people just becuase a lot of people like them and for nothing else.

Because that is totally the only reason I dislike Solid Snake. The fan-base just makes me loathe the guy more, but even without it the character still pisses me off.

Again, I don't want to discuss this any further. It's my opinion, so stop trying to change it. And if you're gonna keep badgering me about my opinion, at LEAST do it in VM, and let the topic go back on track.

I never knew that a Nikita missile was a generic weapon. When I played Twin Snakes, I had fun messing with that weapon.

I still don't get posting Snake under most hated video game characters. I also don't get Sonic, but whatever jb.

Saying cool headed isn't a personality, is like saying Calm isn't a nature in Pokemon. You know, because it makes sense.

I'm still an advocate for the MGS3 ending challenge.

See above on the weapons.

Also, it's not that "Cool Headed" isn't a personality, it's just that if it's all there is to a person's personality, then it's not a very strong personality IMO.

Last edited:

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
See above on the weapons.
You didn't explain the Nikita missile, which allows you to remote control a missile that can be seen in first person view. I don't see that even in first person shooters.

Also, it's not that "Cool Headed" isn't a personality, it's just that if it's all there is to a person's personality, then it's not a very strong personality IMO.
Characters can have stoic personalities, but still be well developed. Again, if you looked at Naked Snake, who is about as stoic as Solid Snake, you would understand that they have these personalities because they were trained to fight like soldiers. Besides, for a stealth agent, I can't see Snake crying a bunch while an enemy finds him bawling. He was trained to curtail emotions on the battlefield, which makes sense.

MugoUrth

Bibarel's adorable.
You didn't explain the Nikita missile, which allows you to remote control a missile that can be seen in first person view. I don't see that even in first person shooters.

Characters can have stoic personalities, but still be well developed. Again, if you looked at Naked Snake, who is about as stoic as Solid Snake, you would understand that they have these personalities because they were trained to fight like soldiers. Besides, for a stealth agent, I can't see Snake crying a bunch while an enemy finds him bawling. He was trained to curtail emotions on the battlefield, which makes sense.

But I did say every similar game has their attempt at creativity.

Meh, still doesn't make his personality any more likeable, to be honest.

Jb

Tsun in the streets
That's exactly my point.
Nah, there's a difference. I'm trolling Sonic, you're being totally serious.
Not really. Media in general is plagued by overly serious characters with no real personality.
Why are you comparing video games to the entire media?
I do. And even then, just about every shooting game or stealth game or whatever has a weapon or two that's an attempt at creativity. Doesn't make the rest of the arsenal any less cliche.
No you don't. No one does. You're also implying Cliche = bad. In which case you should hate Skylanders and Sonic, yet you don't.
Lol, because saying he doesn't have personality = I don't get the character. Which it totally does not mean that. It's not that I don't get him, it's that he doesn't have personality.
You clearly don't get him. I mean, you still keep confusing his level headedness with being overly serious.
You can be cool and calm and STILL have personality.
That is Snake
How many non-shooting games are there these days? Even ones that aren't shooting games generally have similar protagonists.
I can name over 100, released this year. Buy I won't, just take a quick look at Wiki.
Then why are you making stuff up about the game?
I did?
My reasons are perfectly fine, you're just being butthurt.
How, I don't even like Snake?
Yet you act like they do.
If I did, I wouldn't of said that.
When an unlikeable character is made even MORE unlikeable by its unruly fans, an anti-fanbase often makes the character less unlikeable.
Why would you hate a character because of the fanbase.
And you're not?
No.
Because that is totally the only reason I dislike Solid Snake. The fan-base just makes me loathe the guy more, but even without it the character still pisses me off.
lol
And if you're gonna keep badgering me about my opinion, at LEAST do it in VM, and let the topic go back on track.
Why, so you can delete your VMs like you always do? And this is on topic.

MugoUrth

Bibarel's adorable.
Nah, there's a difference. I'm trolling Sonic, you're being totally serious.

No one likes a troll.

Why are you comparing video games to the entire media?

Why not. It still sort of implies.

No you don't. No one does. You're also implying Cliche = bad. In which case you should hate Skylanders and Sonic, yet you don't.

Then you're not looking hard enough. Also, Sonic and Skylanders may not have the best stories, but their gameplay is far from cliched. MGS, on the other hand, is typical of today's games.

You clearly don't get him. I mean, you still keep confusing his level headedness with being overly serious.

THAT DOESN'T GIVE HIM PERSONALITY, *******!!!

That is Snake

No it is not.

I can name over 100, released this year. Buy I won't, just take a quick look at Wiki.

Any RELEVANT examples? Thought so.

Yes.

How, I don't even like Snake?

Snake and JB sitting in a tree, K I S S I N G! ...But seriously, if you don't like him so much, then stop trying to get ME to like him.

Why would you hate a character because of the fanbase.

*Facepalm* It's never BECAUSE of a fanbase that one hates a character. A fanbase usually just makes things worse for the person, but I've never heard of someone hating something JUST BECAUSE it's popular.

Why, so you can delete your VMs like you always do? And this is on topic.

When you go too far, shove your opinions around as fact and WON'T SHUT UP, what do you expect people to do? But if you can actually talk rationally, then I won't delete them.

And is it really what we want the whole topic to be about is trying to convince one person to like Solid Snake?

Status
Not open for further replies.