• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Most important returning features?

Pokefan_1987

Avid Pokemon TCG Card collector.
No mandatory moves for traversing, rotom bike was a big improvement
Full National Dex
Access to a seeking system like bank on Switch (with better monitoring against hackers)
All original moves that got removed returning except those Let's Go moves exclusives

Rapiido

Wrong. HGSS didn't just have the Suicune encounters, but also the Battle Tower, Buena's Password, and the extra Unown puzzles in Ruins of Alph. Pretty much the only major Crystal content missing is the Odd Egg. ORAS yes, there's not a lot of Emerald content in ORAS, but HGSS is pretty much Gold/Silver + Crystal + even more, and a lot of fans tend to view HGSS as the gold standard (no pun intended) because of it and want more remakes like it.
Ahh I stand corrected. I sort of brushed off the battle tower as HGSS battle tower/frontier was just a copy+paste of platinum, I actually only did the Unown puzzles I think my first runthrough so I had no idea they were even different. It's unfortunate that those are the games considered the gold standard as they didn't really fix the majority of problems Gen 2 had (levels were abysmal, barely any Johto Pokemon available pre postgame or even given to gym leaders, and Johto being unable to stand on its own without Kanto), I find FRLG and ORAS much more fleshed out in comparison.

Back on topic, I still can't see them designing, modeling and coding an entire distortion world or battle frontier just to please some Platinum fans (How would the Distortion world even happen if Dialga/Palkia are the storyline catches...? It would be odd to go to catch Dialga and then Giratina just pops a "hey guys" outta nowhere).

And to the above post, we don't need all moves returning... Egg bomb, Magnet bomb and Karate chop have zero usage... Move removal was definitely welcome, tons of padding that just didn't need to be there anymore.

Ophie

Salingerian Phony
Oh yeah, and one thing I'd like to see them do from here on out is the Remote PC. I went back to Ultra Moon to get an Alolan Raichu I could nickname; I hadn't realized how spoiled I was with the Remote PC until I played a Pokémon game without one.

Locormus

Can we please get the older, old forum back?
It seems like the devs are keeping quiet about whether certain features from DPPt are coming back. All we've seen the characters do is walk around, and battle (without the interface being visible). With the new games resembling LGPE as much as ORAS or even SwSh. And even ORAS cut its Battle Frontier. I am quite concerned that it might cut out a lot in the name of 'accessibility and simplicity', or simply to get the game out by Christmas.

But, RS never had a Battle Frontier. It's just that we were expecting it after HGSS had the Platinum one. It's just that the games left a sour taste with this issue, because they had the model of it and the Battle Maison instead.

• Dungeon puzzles (moving boulders and stuff, possibly with a workaround so that you don't need HMs): as long as it’s faster and less tedious than the originals, I’d welcome them. Sinnoh does exploration the best so I’d say it’s crucial to the games
  • Gym Puzzles: IIRC the other remakes kept the same or very similar/fitting Gym Puzzles so I’d expect the same thing here. I like the Gym puzzles here but I don’t think they’re crucial.
  • Held Items and Abilities: absolute must. They can’t use the excuse of LGPE with the originals not having Held Items/Abilities so they’re very crucial especially since there’s going to be online aspects
  • Contests & Poffins: both are part of the region’s identity (especially Poffins) so I’d say they’re crucial though I think a lot of people wouldn’t care about Contests being cut
  • The Underground: already showed to return so it’s clearly crucial enough to them
  • Distortion World & Looker postgame: Both definitely should be. DW in 3D sounds so cool and it helps flesh out Giratina . Looker has been in every game from Platinum to USUM so he clearly is in GF’s mind so why exclude him from his debut region?
  • Full Battle Frontier: Unpopular opinion but I wouldn’t care if it’s gone. It’s a neat feature but not one that’s vital to my enjoyment. After ORAS, I doubt it’ll return but we’ll see. If it doesn’t, I hope they give us something as plentiful:
  • Villas: Not crucial but I’d expect it. The customization and bits of world building from the important NPCs would be welcomed.
  • Wi-Fi Plaza minigames: Would be nice but ultimately mot crucial. Could see it coming back but I wouldn’t lose sleep over it being gone.
  • Poketch features: The Poketch is still on their designs so they’ve have to had found some work around due to the lack of 2 screens. Getting the Poketch is one of the first things you thing in your journey and the features remain useful throughout your journey so I’d say it’s crucial.
  • In-Game GTS: Doubt it. It was a novelty for the series but with Home I could see it being gone:
  • Great Marsh Safari Zone: It’s the main attraction to Pastoria besides Wake and his Gym so I’d say it’s crucial. It also has a plot point involving Galactic.
  • National Dex: Crucial? No. Should it be in? Debatable. Would it be welcomed? Yes.

Great list!
- Whether or not Sinnoh does exploration the best is debatable, it sure is very good and they should go even further in these remakes, but Unova has many, deep and diverse caves. Especially B2W2 is astounding in my eyes.
- GymPuzzles: Can be redone for all I care. Nessa's was extremely alike to Wake's so maybe there should be a nod there (or a cameo).
- Abilities/Helditems: LGPE didn't have them because of Go-mechanics and them expecting an influx of new players inspired by Go.
- Contests/Poffins: They're going to be in, but count me in the camp that couldn't care less.
- Underground: PLEASE LET US MOVE FASTER. I also wonder how they'll do it with regards to online/offline-play. It's crucial for fossils, etc.
- Looker/Giratina/DW: Definitely should be post-game or perhaps something called the Renegade Episode, akin to ORAS' Delta Episode.
- Battle Frontier: I really want it in. But wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't. Those characters however are among my favorite from Sinnoh.
- Villa's: I never cared for anything remotely to do with customization, from Secret Bases to personal style, it was never for me to be invested in the looks of a digital character like that. But I know people do.
- Poketch: I'm gonna guess it will pop-out from the side if you press Y. But yeah, the features do remain handy (well some).
- Ingame GTS: Please, yes. I hate the current trading methods and want it ingame. Trading in Home feels so clumsy and I'm one of those that refuses to pay a subscription fee for something we've always had for free.
- Great Marsh: I don't even see this being a talking point really. Maybe they'll update the daily mechanics a bit (and if this were fully on GameFreak they'd probably make it easier to navigate where which spawn is).
- National Dex: Agreed, Agreed, wouldn't even care.. I don't need to bring in GenVIII pokémon in my GenIV remakes.

I hope if that does return, that the chains won't break if you accidentally run into another Pokemon. It's why I never bothered to give it another try after having a 42 Pokemon chain break.

Oh jeez! Even with chaining, shinies were still supposed to be hard to get. You're chaining for a certain pokémon, it literally doesn't make sense for a chain for in example a Shinx would allow you to continue chaining if you broke the chain of Shinx, with a Bidoof.

These were the same games where you had a 1% chance of finding a Munchlax in only 4 seemingly random trees (until someone cracked the code) scattered around the region. They gave you a tool to get shinies, but you still had to work for it.

No mandatory moves for traversing, rotom bike was a big improvement
Full National Dex
Access to a seeking system like bank on Switch (with better monitoring against hackers)
All original moves that got removed returning except those Let's Go moves exclusives

Rotombike: Nope, not happening in 2D.
Full National Dex: Nope, not happening.
Seeking system: Whadaya even mean?
All original moves: Yes please. Why in the world did they think that Pursuit and Hidden Power needed to be removed?

Ahh I stand corrected. I sort of brushed off the battle tower as HGSS battle tower/frontier was just a copy+paste of platinum, I actually only did the Unown puzzles I think my first runthrough so I had no idea they were even different. It's unfortunate that those are the games considered the gold standard as they didn't really fix the majority of problems Gen 2 had (levels were abysmal, barely any Johto Pokemon available pre postgame or even given to gym leaders, and Johto being unable to stand on its own without Kanto), I find FRLG and ORAS much more fleshed out in comparison.

Back on topic, I still can't see them designing, modeling and coding an entire distortion world or battle frontier just to please some Platinum fans (How would the Distortion world even happen if Dialga/Palkia are the storyline catches...? It would be odd to go to catch Dialga and then Giratina just pops a "hey guys" outta nowhere).

And to the above post, we don't need all moves returning... Egg bomb, Magnet bomb and Karate chop have zero usage... Move removal was definitely welcome, tons of padding that just didn't need to be there anymore.

HgSs had that peripheral item which I really liked. Johto really got expanded in HgSs to even have its own Safari Zone, it's hard for me to agree with a statement like it couldn't stand on its own, especially considering how barren GenII and GenIV Kanto actually is. Johto has all this richness in its aesthetic and then you go to Kanto and its all incredibly bland - even in the remakes.

Oh yeah, and one thing I'd like to see them do from here on out is the Remote PC. I went back to Ultra Moon to get an Alolan Raichu I could nickname; I hadn't realized how spoiled I was with the Remote PC until I played a Pokémon game without one.

This should never change. I think the remote PC is the single best quality of life improvement they've made for the players as opposed for themselves. Stuff like changing area-specific evolution methods is just so that they don't have to provide a place for a Moss Rock, Icy Rock or a version5.0 of Mt.Coronet. It was a really fun concept, but I think they realized they screwed up when they made Charjabug and Crabrawler unable to evolve THAT late into the game in Sun and Moon. Sure, they corrected the area for Charjabug, but you still couldn't get an Crabominable until you reached the freaking league.

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
I don't need to bring in GenVIII pokémon in my GenIV remakes
Ah, but I really want to storm Sinnoh with a Talonflame and a Cinderace :(

Locormus

Can we please get the older, old forum back?
Speaking of returning features...

I really want to use Mega Lopunny. I've never used it, but that's the theme I'm going with this time.

But from which point would the game allow you to use Mega Evolution? Amd where would the Mega Stones be placed to find? I mean there'll be a lot of pokemon that will be able to Mega Evolve if they use the Platinum-dex. Stuff like Gyarados, Gengar, Houndoom, Gardevoir.. But the Gen4 Mega's would be, with potential Mega Stone locations:
- Lucario: Gift from Riley (after unlocking Mega Evolution).
- Lopunny: Gift from Cheryl (see Riley).
- Garchomp: Gift from Mira (see Riley).
- Abomasnow: Somewhere near the Icy Rock. Maybe a Wulfric cameo?
- Gallade: I could see a Wally-cameo at Floaroma Meadow, with him giving you a Galladite. Mostly because Floaroma Town and Verdanturf Town are both sweet fragranced and clean air towns.

Ah, but I really want to storm Sinnoh with a
Talonflame and a Cinderace :(

I guess that's what Fire-type deprivation does to some..

To be completely fair, how awesome would it be if Flint would get a new Fire-type Sinnohian Bouffalant. :p

Last edited:

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
Believe or not it's less about lack of fire types and more about using favorites lol

And if those games allow Chespin to exist again, well... Too bad for the Sinnohian starter :p

Rapiido

HgSs had that peripheral item which I really liked. Johto really got expanded in HgSs to even have its own Safari Zone, it's hard for me to agree with a statement like it couldn't stand on its own, especially considering how barren GenII and GenIV Kanto actually is. Johto has all this richness in its aesthetic and then you go to Kanto and its all incredibly bland - even in the remakes.
Ah I meant from a gameplay perspective not design wise. As in, if Kanto wasn't in the game, would Johto be "enough" content to be it's own game. Johto definitely has more personality.

Not shown in the trailer, but I hope Pokémon can follow you again in the overworld

Very highly doubtful. With this artstyle, Pokemon would look very, very deformed behind a trainer in that style. I'm surprised this is a feature so many people want, I always turned it off in LGPE and SS, and it was... bad... in HGSS (Chikorita looks like it wants to end my life).

Satoshi no masara

Professional couch potato
Very highly doubtful. With this artstyle, Pokemon would look very, very deformed behind a trainer in that style. I'm surprised this is a feature so many people want, I always turned it off in LGPE and SS, and it was... bad... in HGSS (Chikorita looks like it wants to end my life).
I don't know how "deformed" they will make the Pokémon in the overworld, but it's a trade-off that I'm willing to take and wouldn't mind. I just love seeing Pokémon running along with me. But if it's not going to be a feature, then it's fine. Doesn't really devaluate the game for me though it will be odd considering even SWSH has the feature added in the DLC.

WishIhadaManafi5

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before.
Staff member
But, RS never had a Battle Frontier. It's just that we were expecting it after HGSS had the Platinum one. It's just that the games left a sour taste with this issue, because they had the model of it and the Battle Maison instead.

Great list!
- Whether or not Sinnoh does exploration the best is debatable, it sure is very good and they should go even further in these remakes, but Unova has many, deep and diverse caves. Especially B2W2 is astounding in my eyes.
- GymPuzzles: Can be redone for all I care. Nessa's was extremely alike to Wake's so maybe there should be a nod there (or a cameo).
- Abilities/Helditems: LGPE didn't have them because of Go-mechanics and them expecting an influx of new players inspired by Go.
- Contests/Poffins: They're going to be in, but count me in the camp that couldn't care less.
- Underground: PLEASE LET US MOVE FASTER. I also wonder how they'll do it with regards to online/offline-play. It's crucial for fossils, etc.
- Looker/Giratina/DW: Definitely should be post-game or perhaps something called the Renegade Episode, akin to ORAS' Delta Episode.
- Battle Frontier: I really want it in. But wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't. Those characters however are among my favorite from Sinnoh.
- Villa's: I never cared for anything remotely to do with customization, from Secret Bases to personal style, it was never for me to be invested in the looks of a digital character like that. But I know people do.
- Poketch: I'm gonna guess it will pop-out from the side if you press Y. But yeah, the features do remain handy (well some).
- Ingame GTS: Please, yes. I hate the current trading methods and want it ingame. Trading in Home feels so clumsy and I'm one of those that refuses to pay a subscription fee for something we've always had for free.
- Great Marsh: I don't even see this being a talking point really. Maybe they'll update the daily mechanics a bit (and if this were fully on GameFreak they'd probably make it easier to navigate where which spawn is).
- National Dex: Agreed, Agreed, wouldn't even care.. I don't need to bring in GenVIII pokémon in my GenIV remakes.

Oh jeez! Even with chaining, shinies were still supposed to be hard to get. You're chaining for a certain pokémon, it literally doesn't make sense for a chain for in example a Shinx would allow you to continue chaining if you broke the chain of Shinx, with a Bidoof.

These were the same games where you had a 1% chance of finding a Munchlax in only 4 seemingly random trees (until someone cracked the code) scattered around the region. They gave you a tool to get shinies, but you still had to work for it.

Rotombike: Nope, not happening in 2D.
Full National Dex: Nope, not happening.
All original moves: Yes please. Why in the world did they think that Pursuit and Hidden Power needed to be removed?

This should never change. I think the remote PC is the single best quality of life improvement they've made for the players as opposed for themselves. Stuff like changing area-specific evolution methods is just so that they don't have to provide a place for a Moss Rock, Icy Rock or a version5.0 of Mt.Coronet. It was a really fun concept, but I think they realized they screwed up when they made Charjabug and Crabrawler unable to evolve THAT late into the game in Sun and Moon. Sure, they corrected the area for Charjabug, but you still couldn't get an Crabominable until you reached the freaking league.
Working for it is one thing, having it become tedious and worthless is another. I ended up hating using it, to the point of completely avoiding it. It wasn't remotely fun, and for anyone who had other things to do, it just was a waste of time.

I'm glad that they changed it up in future games. Had more fun with other ways of shiny hunting. It's still just as much of a challenge imo, and it allows people to come back to it later.

In fact, it (the more recent versions of shiny hunting, not from Diamond and Pearl) reminds me of shiny hunting in Crystal version (seriously), as in running into Pokemon, not raiding for them, like in Sword and Shield. I hunted for a shiny Koffing and running into other Pokemon by mistake, didn't affect the chain. It still took plenty of hard work and time to find any. It took around 200 hours (approximately) to find one.

I appreciate being able to pause shiny hunts when they get too tedious and come back to them later, also being able to save the game and turn it off, without having it affect the chain. It's really great for anyone who is busy and may not be able to shiny hunt as often.

Last edited:

Ophie

Salingerian Phony

What was likely meant by a "seeking system" is a GTS counterpart, as the GTS allows you to search for specific Pokémon people put up. As for the removal of certain moves, I don't have an explanation for all of them, but those two I do: Pursuit was likely removed due to its use running amok; it caused usage of Psychic-types in head-to-head battling to plummet due to most of them having rather low Defense (and may have done some damage to Ghost-types too), while Hidden Power was likely removed due to problems with how it interacts with Dynamax.

If you ask me, Hidden Power was merely a stopgap, and a faulty one at that: It's a special attack with no physical counterpart, Fairy was excluded from it, and it would provide everything with every type. As much as one can fault Game Freak for Sword and Shield, they took the time to expand various Pokémon's available moves for wider coverage, one by one, which is the solution that should've happened in the first place.

WishIhadaManafi5

Staff member
Found an example of a good game that let's you mine/treasure hunt.

My Time at Portia is far from perfect, but it's got mining and treasure hunting down pat.

I hope that Pokemon does something similar in the DP remakes.

Storm the Lycanroc

Oshawott Squad
Personally I dont care if the Battle Frontier is or isn't in the game. By the time I reach any of those facilities in any game my interest is starting to waver. I've never actively participated in side activities like contests or battle facilities.

Orphalesion

It just hit me when writing in that "Team Planning" thread.
I really, really, hope HMs don't come back. All the water types in Sinnoh kinda suck or are tied to a trade evolution (or are Vaporeon, which I've used so much, I don't want to have it on the team yet again). So I don't want to be forced to put any of them on my team.

OshyHikari

c l a r i t y
I'm expecting most features from D/P/Pt to return, such as Contests, the Poketch (even if it has to be designed differently this time due to the Switch being single screen), the VS Seeker and Poke Radar. The Global Terminal in Jubilife City I'm expecting will be removed due to the GTS itself now being located in HOME.

BR4VE

Omega Ruby Base on Route 118, Right Side Beach
I hope if that does return, that the chains won't break if you accidentally run into another Pokemon. It's why I never bothered to give it another try after having a 42 Pokemon chain break.
Haha, after a 42 chain break. I just laughed, and I'd have to say the same thing, at least for the moment, or never again, if I did that.

Mr.Munchlax

Great Ball Rank Trainer
While this isn’t super important, I’m hoping that marks return in BDSP. They were one of my favorite features in SWSH since (much like the pokéballs) they made each pokémon feel unique & special, like it’s own title to show its personality or a fun nickname.

I actually like them more than shiny pokémon now & I tried mark hunting for all of my main team catches in the Crown Tundra. Plus, for my current replay of Pokémon Y, I’ve been trying to get as many ribbons for my new Pokémon as possible just so they can have different mark titles in SWSH

WishIhadaManafi5

Staff member
Haha, after a 42 chain break. I just laughed, and I'd have to say the same thing, at least for the moment, or never again, if I did that.
Yea XD, it's just not worth wasting my time on something that I'd have to keep my game on for (don't want to risk my system falling down) and for the chain to be so easily breakable.