• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Most important returning features?

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
It was certainly time-related. I have no doubts, personally

Nyter

Island Challenger
It was certainly time-related. I have no doubts, personally
Idk because post-elite four, I used to make it rain on me by rebattling that gentleman Jeremy and Socialite Reina trainer on route 212 when I used my Amulet Coin... I think after like 20 battles with either of them, you cap out at 999,999 yen.

And I would just do myself steps and right away they were re-battleable

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master
The one thing that would truly sell this game as a remake rather than a remaster is the removal of HMs.

They now know how much fans despise being forced to use certain moves, and we haven't needed to use HMs since X & Y, which by then only 2 were required to complete the main story. Since the official website states there will be "player-friendly conveniences of the modern Pokémon series", I'm hoping this is one of those conveniences.

Wulava

danger chili pepper
Staff member
The one thing that would truly sell this game as a remake rather than a remaster is the removal of HMs.

They now know how much fans despise being forced to use certain moves, and we haven't needed to use HMs since X & Y, which by then only 2 were required to complete the main story. Since the official website states there will be "player-friendly conveniences of the modern Pokémon series", I'm hoping this is one of those conveniences.
Let's see...

Obstructions that require Cut, Strength, Defog, and Rock Smash can be easily replaced with other obstruction that don't require these. The fog can just clear up after reaching certain story points. Rock Smash rocks don't contain wild Pokemon so it's safe to remove.

Fly can be replaced by fast travel. Staraptor Flying Taxi maybe.

Surf, Waterfall and Rock Climb are all mandatory to move forward. Maybe the bike can be modified for all of this.

I have doubts we'll go with the Pokemon Rental approach because it seems like an Alola-only thing.

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master
Let's see...

Obstructions that require Cut, Strength, Defog, and Rock Smash can be easily replaced with other obstruction that don't require these. The fog can just clear up after reaching certain story points. Rock Smash rocks don't contain wild Pokemon so it's safe to remove.

Fly can be replaced by fast travel. Staraptor Flying Taxi maybe.

Surf, Waterfall and Rock Climb are all mandatory to move forward. Maybe the bike can be modified for all of this.

I have doubts we'll go with the Pokemon Rental approach because it seems like an Alola-only thing.

Honestly, they can all be replaced with Key Items.

According to Bulbabepdia, six HMs are required to complete the main story: Cut, Surf, Strength, Rock Smash, Waterfall, and Rock Climb. We can get a bike similar to the one in Sword & Shield, and have that bike capable of climbing waterfalls. The rest can come in an "adventure kit," filled with every item we'd need to get through obstacles.

Hell, the items can even be obtained like add-ons for the kit. Instead of collecting an HM, we'd just get an item for the kit.

Orphalesion

According to Bulbabepdia, six HMs are required to complete the main story: Cut, Surf, Strength, Rock Smash, Waterfall, and Rock Climb.
Yikes. Think of the amount of HM slaves that would need!
Offering an alternative would definitely improve the games.

I'm not sure whether it was just an "Alola thing" or whether its one of those parts where it seems like there was considerable corner-cutting in the development of Sword and Shield (animations for rental Pokemon vs. just giving us a bike)
Though of course that bike lent itself really well to the wild area.

Luthor

Yikes. Think of the amount of HM slaves that would need!
Offering an alternative would definitely improve the games.

I'm not sure whether it was just an "Alola thing" or whether its one of those parts where it seems like there was considerable corner-cutting in the development of Sword and Shield (animations for rental Pokemon vs. just giving us a bike)
Though of course that bike lent itself really well to the wild area.

You wouldn't need that many HM mules because Bibarel can learn 6 of the HM moves (Cut, Surf, Strength, Rock Smash, Waterfall, and Rock Climb) and the ones it doesn't get are Fly and Defog and considering fog is only in a small bit of the map the defogger can easily be a pokemon you just remove from the box for that bit. Plus if they choose to keep the remote access to the boxes like in sword and shield you could easily swap in and out when you need to.

Orphalesion

You wouldn't need that many HM mules because Bibarel can learn 6 of the HM moves (Cut, Surf, Strength, Rock Smash, Waterfall, and Rock Climb) and the ones it doesn't get are Fly and Defog and considering fog is only in a small bit of the map the defogger can easily be a pokemon you just remove from the box for that bit. Plus if they choose to keep the remote access to the boxes like in sword and shield you could easily swap in and out when you need to.

Bibarel? Ewww.

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master
Well, it certainly looks like you fail at seeing the point of the hidden moves entirely. There is no reason why they can't give us field abilities that don't take up moveslots, but are usable by each and every Pokemon that looks that it can use them, not just a select few. And replacing them with key items is just another slap in the face and insult to the theme of the franchise next to rental (?!!) Ride Pokemon and Flying Taxi and Rotom Bike, as they basically mean you have no right to use your Pokemon to explore the world (yeah, right).

We're saying the same thing, mate. You're just using pokemon in the place of key items.

Orphalesion

We're saying the same thing, mate. You're just using pokemon in the place of key items.

He has this fixed idea that we should all be best friends with our HM-slaves and that everything that everything except HMs is, somehow, a crime against the Pokemon series itself. He won't consider any other idea except inflicting HM slaves on the rest of us again. It's this whole thing.

Hopefully there won't be any HMs in these remakes or in any other future Pokemon games.

Last edited:

Luthor

Here's one feature I do want in these games which were not in the original Sinnoh games but have been in other games. Good in-game trades. I don't want another remake like Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire to keep the in-game trades to be exactly the same. Of the options there was only a Chatot, Abra, A German Magikarp and for some reason a Haunter holding an everstone. Even if they keep these around a few more options would be preferable.

WishIhadaManafi5

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before.
Staff member
Here's one feature I do want in these games which were not in the original Sinnoh games but have been in other games. Good in-game trades. I don't want another remake like Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire to keep the in-game trades to be exactly the same. Of the options there was only a Chatot, Abra, A German Magikarp and for some reason a Haunter holding an everstone. Even if they keep these around a few more options would be preferable.

They had the Haunter do that so it wouldn't trade evolve. So annoying.

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
I dunno, I could see the watch being the new pokédex. I mean, we do have smartwatches nowadays and I assume they'll become a thing at some point.

Flame Haji

Ground Gym Leader
I wonder how will incorporated that watch feature cuz we dont have 2 screens
I'm guessing if they have it, it will be in a separate menu, kinda like all the menu choices in SwSh or SM.

Pokefan_1987

Avid Pokemon TCG Card collector.
They will most likely add it into a submenu like sword and shield which had 8 x 8 x 2 menu layouts. But Poketch was mostly a HP screen, a calculator, a clock, asmall etch-a-sketch option area (the stylus was new) and a step monitor. It's kind off old fashioned when you think about it.

But in my opinion for HM obstacles: No required/forced moves, no mules and not having to unlock traversal items as Key Items is the key forward. Who else got annoyed when you don't have a compatible mule pokemon or left the mule behind in your pc by accident? "What was that, you forgot strength and rock climb before coming into Distortion World ? Have fun reloading 20 minutes of lost work."
These are reasons mules become hated after the story because we dislike traversing difficulties.

Not trying to be rude with my rant, but why would we possibly want these problems back ¿?

Last edited:

TwilightBlade

Someone mentioned it before but it's the VS Seeker for me too. I like following up on the growth of Trainers and seeing how they evolved with their Pokemon.
I only want this back if they fix the problem that the VS Seeker had which was that trainer rosters didn't improve that much in terms of levels during the main plot of the games so it was kind of pointless for experience grinding. If they actually manage to give trainers better rosters then that'll be welcomed though. :]

OshyHikari

c l a r i t y

OR/AS retained exactly the same in-game trades from Ruby/Sapphire, so I'm expecting the same D/P/Pt trades to be retained for BD/SP. Cue the rage surrounding Mindy and her infamous Everstone-holding Haunter!