• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Most important returning features?

Mr.Munchlax

Great Ball Rank Trainer
Personally, there are a few features from SWSH that I hope return in BDSP
  • Being able to change our hair and eye color after selecting our characters
  • Mints
  • Ability Patches
  • Pokemon learning egg moves if they stay in a day care with another pokemon who knows them

Wulava

danger chili pepper
Staff member
I wonder if any of them will be moves not available in Sword and Shield. This most recent video had a blink-and-you'll-miss-it moment where a Pokémon knows Return, which means at minimum, this move will return (no pun intended).

This might pave the way for the return of Hidden Power as well to account for Unown. Not sure if Unown will be available here though.

Unown is a crucial part of the Solaceon Ruins.

Captain Jigglypuff

Leader of Jigglypuff Army
Unown is a crucial part of the Solaceon Ruins.
They are but I’m curious as to what will be done with them if Hidden Power doesn’t return as an attack or is updated to include Fairy as a possible type result?

Wulava

danger chili pepper
Staff member
They are but I’m curious as to what will be done with them if Hidden Power doesn’t return as an attack or is updated to include Fairy as a possible type result?

I highly doubt they would change Unown's learnset now. Not throwing away the possibility, but I think the chances are very slim.

Besides, as mentioned above, Return, a move unusable in SWSH, is returning. Also, if HMs do return, Flash and Rock Climb will have to return as well. And we've seen rock climb walls are still in the game (unless they change how we climb it).

TheWanderingMist

Paladin of the Snow Queen
Unown can't exist without Hidden Power. It's their whole thing in the first place. Also, considering how it works, updating it to include fairy type would probably be impossible to balance correctly.

Ophie

Salingerian Phony
Unown can't exist without Hidden Power. It's their whole thing in the first place. Also, considering how it works, updating it to include fairy type would probably be impossible to balance correctly.

Yeah, which is why I had initially guessed that they'd create a new move just for Unown, but Hidden Power may come back. if it does, I wonder how it would interact with Dynamax, considering Pokémon from this game can be brought to Sword and Shield via Pokémon HOME.

I think the initial reason Hidden Power was removed was because allowing any Pokémon species to have any Max Move except Max Starfall would be a disaster (particularly in regards to Max Airstream, and to a lesser extent Max Flare). It is possible they'll just keep it as Max Strike at all times, though no other move that changes type that I know does that--I've tested it with Weather Ball, Multi Attack, and Terrain Pulse, and their Max Moves all line up with how the move would be if not Dynamaxed (such as Weather Ball turning into Max Geyser if it's raining or Max Hailstorm if it's hailing).

Last edited:

Captain Jigglypuff

I’ve always thought that Unown should be able to learn Cosmic Power and Stored Power. Cosmic Power would help it last a bit longer and Stored Power can then have enough to make Unown useful but not too powerful from the stat changes that Unown becomes broken.

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian
GameFreak has never tried making Unown relevant in battle whatsoever. It was the worst fully evolved Pokémon ever when it was introduced and it still is. I suppose they could bring it back with different moves, virtually nothing they could feasibly give it would make it relevant at all as its stats are so bad and especially among Psychic types it's difficult to find a supporting niche even with a big movepool, and Unown's ability is also widespread among Psychic types, from Uxie and Azelf to Claydol and Latias. Like Stored Power, Cosmic Power, Unown is nowhere near bulky enough to set that up, even if they also gave it Recover. Cresselia can try that, Unown simply cannot.

Pokefan_1987

Avid Pokemon TCG Card collector.
Box Link like pokemon sword (switch out your team members with any captured pokemon in your pc no matter where you are in sinnoh)
It's a definitive must have if a pokemon center is far away.

Ability to remove hat from character. I dislike the default taxi driver hat on the male.

Captain Jigglypuff

Box Link like pokemon sword (switch out your team members with any captured pokemon in your pc no matter where you are in sinnoh)
It's a definitive must have if a pokemon center is far away.

Ability to remove hat from character. I dislike the default taxi driver hat on the male.
Definitely. Ever since we had been given the option to remove the hat in Gen VII, every one of my PCs don’t wear hats or headgear except when it pops up automatically such as Taurus Ride or the Rotom Bike.

Lluc

Not a Very Well-Known Member
Yeah, which is why I had initially guessed that they'd create a new move just for Unown, but Hidden Power may come back. if it does, I wonder how it would interact with Dynamax, considering Pokémon from this game can be brought to Sword and Shield via Pokémon HOME.

I think the initial reason Hidden Power was removed was because allowing any Pokémon species to have any Max Move except Max Starfall would be a disaster (particularly in regards to Max Airstream, and to a lesser extent Max Flare). It is possible they'll just keep it as Max Strike at all times, though no other move that changes type that I know does that--I've tested it with Weather Ball, Multi Attack, and Terrain Pulse, and their Max Moves all line up with how the move would be if not Dynamaxed (such as Weather Ball turning into Max Geyser if it's raining or Max Hailstorm if it's hailing).
In S/M/US/UM, Hidden Power only works with Normalium-Z and can only become Breackneck Blitz. Meanwhile Weather Ball would turn into the Z-Move that corresponds with its type. It'd be totally consistent if Hidden Power would only become Max Strike.

treatyofversigh

I’d also really like for box link to return. I feel like I’ve been spoiled by LGPE and SWSH- I’m replaying Platinum right now and I miss being able to switch whenever.

I don’t really expect it since it wouldn’t make a lot of sense with the switch only being one screen, but I’d kind of like to see the Poketch return in some form. I believe it had a friendship checker app you could get, eventually, and I’d like something like that to be easily accessible again, especially since there’s a handful of friendship evolution Pokémon in Sinnoh… the rest of it is kind of meh. Mostly I just want the friendship checker haha

Ophie

Salingerian Phony
In S/M/US/UM, Hidden Power only works with Normalium-Z and can only become Breackneck Blitz. Meanwhile Weather Ball would turn into the Z-Move that corresponds with its type. It'd be totally consistent if Hidden Power would only become Max Strike.
Ah, so they made an exception with Z-Moves during then too. Good to know.

Luthor

Ah, so they made an exception with Z-Moves during then too. Good to know.

Yeah. They also did the same with Revelation Dance (Oricorio's signature move)

Unrelated to the above one returning feature I want is a feature that was in ORAS, the Let's go games and a few others. 6 Pokemon elite 4 members when you have a rematch with them. I just think that added challenge made the games a lot more fun. Plus you can give the trainers Pokemon that really add to the fun. I especially liked the Alolan forms to the Kanto teams (in lets go) and the Mega evolutions to the ORAS elite 4. I still think there's still options for these Sinnoh games to do similar.

TRNRLogan

Being able to rematch most if not all trainers would be nice

midnightconfusion

Something I haven't seen mentioned a lot here: Swarms/Pokemon Outbreaks and the PokeRadar Exclusive Pokemon.

Do you think both of these will be brought back for the remakes? Will Pokemon Hideaways replace one of these features? Both of these played a big part in helping to fill out the National Dex in the original games. (As did Dual Slot Mode, which obviously can't return).

There's also the possibility that they could bring back these features with different Pokemon in the encounter slots, even Gen 5-8 Pokemon given the nature of past remakes (although I understand most people don't think that will likely happen in BDSP).