• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Most Important Things To You In Competitive Battling?

sizida

CoconutIsTheAnswer
i always use traps or status infliction. but to me trickroom always come in handy.

always have a healer, but that is secondary. rapid spinner is a must.

also if my super effective moves doesn't do much damage to the opponent or found out is hacked, i may just quit the battle.

i can say i met alot of these kind of people and is getting on my nerves. rng perfect ivs set pokemon are counted as hacks to me as you are using external program to do the work.

Ivanka

Freeeeeeeeee
I like to create balanced teams, and when doing so the most important thing is probably the synergy of the Pokemon as a team. Items are also important, and I normally like to stick to weather teams for now. ^^

jstinftw!

hey trainer
All of it's important.

Right now, I'm trying to work on team building, since I lack a useable wall/tank (my Emboar is just too fragile to withstand too many, if any, hits). But I also need to work on EVs and maybe getting some new items.

I'm also trying to work on move sets. I mean, sure; I can just hop on serebii or smogon and copy-paste a moveset on a Pokemon. But I want to be able to decide what I want/need by myself.

Piemonster24

Americus Heracrosius
1. Chansey/Blissey
2. Using obscure strategies and pokemon. You would not believe how much trouble people have countering Lanturn in OU.
3. Rapid Spin
4. Aromatherapy
5. A boost Sweeper

That covers my focuses when team building.

luck

cheating

crossed-out words

Strategy is a must for me. I am good at strategy, I've won practically every match I fight and one of the main members is NU. Strategy>Grossly overused Pokemon.

AudinoGlitch

Weird Person
Something to handle DrizzleToad.

Vandslaux

Priority moves, a spinner, a revenge killer, a spinblocker, and a Rocks layer.

Generic User Name

I usually use a SR setter or anti-lead, a Physical Sweeper, a Rapid Spinner, a Special Sweeper, a DDer, and a Wall/Tank, as you can tell from my sig.

Aquadon

TCG Trainer
I just surveyed 7 people (who have no real insight into Competitive Pokemon battling) about this and got 5 very different answers:

1. Saying goodbye to a love life (not really helpful)
2. Movesets
3. "Balanced Teams, Support, then Lesser Pokes" (I was HIGHLY impressed by this response)
4. Don't know what you're talking about
5. Legendaries

As for my own answer to Importance, I think the first thing is Abilities/Egg moves, then EVs, then Movesets, then finally Items. Items are last on my agenda only because the Pokemon come first.

hallstromjr

Boston Celtic
Has anyone ever done competative without EV's? I dont think some people realize the HUGE difference it makes. I say EV's first, then experience playing competatively. Then Abilities/Items, and lastly good prediction. You need just a tiny bit of luck as well.

1.- Keep on focus.
2.- Make a nice type synergy always helps, but it doesnt mean it is needed.
3.- Surprise your opponent,dont make yourself predictable
4.- Finally be creative, dont use the most overused pokemon out there, there are more weathers than sandstorm and rain.

I personally think the most important aspect of competitive battling is a knowledge of the metagame: how it works, what are the common threats, and how to beat them. Team building, battling skill, proper prediction, etc., it all comes back to experience in the metagame.

Mayu808

GIGA DRILL BREAK!!!!
Strategy and team synergy. Items and ev's are pointless if you can't predict properly and it's even worse if your team is a bunch of random pokes.