• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Most Improved Pokemon of this Generation

Ninja Dog

Banned
I think dragonite should be, It was one of the most improved this gen, due to Multiscale. Just because he didn't go up a tier doesn't mean he didn't improve a lot.

ROBO PIKA Tek 2

Kid with Pantz
I think dragonite should be, It was one of the most improved this gen, due to Multiscale. Just because he didn't go up a tier doesn't mean he didn't improve a lot.

You're kind of right, but what I'm trying to say is that these just improved so much. If Dragonite improved as much as Blaziken did he's be hanging with him.

And come on guys.

THANK YOUS?

Zachmac

Study users, like Donphan, Skarmory, and Forretress; just one extra move can change the game, especially with all those special attackers out there who plow through the aforementioned Pokemon who have low special defense.
Sturdy is nice and all, but it didn't really improve them stat much. Most wouldn't stay on special attackers anyway.

Eaglehawk

Banned
In my opinion, the most improved Pokemon has to be Tentacruel. In past metagames, his role was largely suppressed by the onslaught of better, bulkier waters. In this generation, his role of the bulky water has greatly improved because of the dawn of two new changes in the metagame: Drain Moves and Rain. Rain Dish is probably Tentacruel's main selling point in Rain Stall. He can spin, wall, and set T-Spikes for a team, all while regaining 12% HP in the rain (Rain Dish +Leftovers), increasing his longevity by a lot. Liquid Ooze, on the other hand, has found more precedence in this metagame in the new dawn of Giga Drain, Drain Punch, and the Leech Seed (Ferrothorn X_X). While not as significant, it allows for it to be of use on non-rain teams, punishing Conkeldurr and Ferrothorn for using their drain moves.

It's also not hard to notice Politoed, Ninetales, and Espeon shooting from NU to the top 40s of standard, with Politoed getting up in the top 5 in usage.

Fortunato

Sic Transit Gloria
I think one of the best improved Pokemon is Slowbro. With his new ability Regenerator he effectively became one of the premiere bulky waters of this generation. With access to Slack Off as well Slowbro has become a physical tank of incredible proportions easily being able to stop mons that he couldn't stop last generation due to not being able to find a place to heal etc. Other pokemon have gotten new tools and abilities that have made them amazing too but Slowbro has always been a favorite of mine so it was really great seeing him get an ability that made him even better than he used to already be.

venasaur politoed ninetales and dragonite

ROBO PIKA Tek 2

Kid with Pantz
Whatever. If everyone feels Dragonite should make the list, then I give up. I'll add him on.

John Wallrein

I am the walrein
I think one of the best improved Pokemon is Slowbro. With his new ability Regenerator he effectively became one of the premiere bulky waters of this generation. With access to Slack Off as well Slowbro has become a physical tank of incredible proportions easily being able to stop mons that he couldn't stop last generation due to not being able to find a place to heal etc. Other pokemon have gotten new tools and abilities that have made them amazing too but Slowbro has always been a favorite of mine so it was really great seeing him get an ability that made him even better than he used to already be.

Seconded.

Slowbro is a great bulky water and with its half Psychic, and phys bulk it makes a great answer for the likes of the rampant fighting types this gen. like Conkeldurr, and Terrakion (bar Banded X-scissor). And (expect for on Conk) Slowbro loves passing a burn onto phys attackers making them even worse off against his tremendous bulk. Regenerator is a great ability added to it this generation. Regenerator is just a great ability and works itself well into a defensive core, where switching to someone who can take a special attack aimed at Slowbro can benefit him, and not just help to rack up hazard damage.

ROBO PIKA Tek 2

Kid with Pantz
Study users, like Donphan, Skarmory, and Forretress; just one extra move can change the game, especially with all those special attackers out there who plow through the aforementioned Pokemon who have low special defense. I also have to agreed on Politoad especially; Drizzle gives it something worthwhile to use. I don't think Dugtrio has been mentioned yet either; it used to be in UU, now it's capable of functioning in ubers, thanks to Hone Claws and its ability, arena trap.

Sturdy didn't do much. The Pokemon you have named have kind of improved, but not much. Those guys with Sturdy hardly use it because the only Pokemon who OHKO them are the ones the try to get away from in the first place.
Also, when has Dugtrio been used in Ubers. If he is functionable, remind me never to go there because Dug is roadkill in OU anyway.

John Wallrein

I am the walrein
Dugtrios main boost is due probably to the huge amount of weather wars. When your team needs a reliable way to beat the sun and sandstorm, what better way then to trap and KO them w/ SE moves. Outside of this dugtrio has few benefits due to rampant priority and its frailness.

irock245

She wants it
Sturdy didn't do much. The Pokemon you have named have kind of improved, but not much. Those guys with Sturdy hardly use it because the only Pokemon who OHKO them are the ones the try to get away from in the first place.
Also, when has Dugtrio been used in Ubers. If he is functionable, remind me never to go there because Dug is roadkill in OU anyway.

.........what?

No, seriously, what? Sturdy is what makes Skarmory and Donphan so formidable this gen! Both are now given a guarenteed chance, if at full hp, to either lay a hazard down or get rid of hazards on their side of the field!

And dugtrio is possibly the best at trapping weather users in OU. Tell me how that is not roadkill.

Ansem1013

4768-7457-8661
Slowbro
Gastrodon
Venusaur

^^should be added to the list imo

Thank you for adding Dragonite! :) While it may not have jumped up a whole tier, it has jumped within it's own tier to greatest DRagon threat in OU, championing even Salamence. That deserves Recognition.

I think Toxicroak also deserves some mention due to it becoming a beast on the now ever present Rain team.

John Wallrein

I am the walrein
I can agree with Venasaur. It has a tremendous jump and it can be a very big threat in the sun. Chansey also derserves some recognition. It went from never being acceptable over its evolution to an alright substitute in situations where leftovers recovery isn't required.

ROBO PIKA Tek 2

Kid with Pantz
.........what?

No, seriously, what? Sturdy is what makes Skarmory and Donphan so formidable this gen! Both are now given a guarenteed chance, if at full hp, to either lay a hazard down or get rid of hazards on their side of the field!

And dugtrio is possibly the best at trapping weather users in OU. Tell me how that is not roadkill.

The only time Skarm and Donphan really stick around is near physical attackers who can hardly touch them. Only an idiot would keep there Skarm or Phan (As some say) around a a special attacker. Sturdy kinda helps survive and scout a mix set but not many people do that which is why I said that it kinda helps.

But you guys are right about weather, I was being a moron there.

irock245

She wants it
The only time Skarm and Donphan really stick around is near physical attackers who can hardly touch them. Only an idiot would keep there Skarm or Phan (As some say) around a a special attacker. Sturdy kinda helps survive and scout a mix set but not many people do that which is why I said that it kinda helps.

But you guys are right about weather, I was being a moron there.

You're proabably right about donphan (never used him before), but there is a specially defensive skarmory for a reason. The fact that sturdy can sometimes make the difference between a win or a loss is what makes it so useful now. As if skarmory wasn't a good enough physical wall before.

dragonuser™

the greatest crisis
Some other greatly improved mons are:

Alakazam
Tentacruel
Gastrodon
Venusaur

each received a very important ability, which gave each of them a niche in the current metagame

Zachmac

You're proabably right about donphan (never used him before), but there is a specially defensive skarmory for a reason. The fact that sturdy can sometimes make the difference between a win or a loss is what makes it so useful now. As if skarmory wasn't a good enough physical wall before.
Most people use physically defensive anyway. I've only fought specially defensive maybe twice.

irock245

She wants it
Most people use physically defensive anyway. I've only fought specially defensive maybe twice.

I heard that a lot of people used specially defensive skarm in Gen 4. I would have thought that would have transitioned into gen 5, but I guess I was wrong. Well, I don't think any good players would keep skarm in on a rotom-w or something.

Flappy

<3 Flappy
Gotta go with Dragonite. Simply cause of Multiscale.

Takeo

Dragonite is incredibly bulky with Multi-scale, making it difficult to kill. Great defensive typing and stats prolong its life, and with solid Atk and SpA, deals good loads of damage. Mediocre Spe is its weakness but compensates with Extremespeed. Has a truckload of other useful offensive moves, such as Superpower (illegal with Multiscale), Thunderbolt, Flamethrower, Fire Punch, or Fire Blast, Dragon Dance Draco Meteor, Outrage, Surf, Stone Edge, and Hurricane. With great HP and defensive stats, access to useful support moves such as Roost, Thunder Wave, Dragon Tail, and Heal Bell, and a typing with resistances to common special attacks, Dragonite makes an excellent and annoying defensive threat. Multiscale makes it all the more bulkier when at 100% HP.

Gliscor Poison Heal has given it a new lease on life, though it didnt really need it. Still very physically bulky, but now harder to kill with constant HP regeneration. Decent offensive stats, but great defensive typing gives it a bulky attacker niche. Available to it are Stone Edge and Fling + Acrobat. Makes an excellent defensive threat due to its high Defense stat, access to support moves such as Fling, Substitute, Roost (illegal with Poison Heal), and Stealth Rock (illegal with Poison Heal).

Jolteon usually overlooked but is Lightning-fast and hits pretty hard with its special attacks. Doesn't have much of a useful movepool. Hidden Power Grass/Ice is an alternative to hit Ground-types while Thunder is usable under rainy conditions.

Gastrodon was outclassed by Swampert last generation. but it has received a gift from the heavens, Storm Drain not only absorbs Water attacks, but also raises Gastrodon's SpA by one stage, making it an acceptable offensive threat as well. With Toxic, Recover, and a useable offensive movepool, Gastrodon is arguably the best rain counter in existence. It counters Thundurus that lack Grass Knot, Rotom-W, Starmie, Tornadus... the list goes on and on.

Chansey despite Blissey having better stats and the same support movepool, with the new item Eviolite, has higher Defense and Special Defense than Blissey.

Venusaur combined with Ninetales's Drought its scary violent... Under the sun, Growth's boosts doubles to +2 for each attacking stat and Venusaur's Speed is doubled via Chlorophyll. Has some solid counters depending on the Hidden Power. Solid stats too.

The list goes on and on really, but i'm lazy.