• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Most Improved Pokemon of this Generation

ROBO PIKA Tek 2

Kid with Pantz
Gliscor Poison Heal has given it a new lease on life, though it didnt really need it. Still very physically bulky, but now harder to kill with constant HP regeneration. Decent offensive stats, but great defensive typing gives it a bulky attacker niche. Available to it are Stone Edge and Fling + Acrobat. Makes an excellent defensive threat due to its high Defense stat, access to support moves such as Fling, Substitute, Roost (illegal with Poison Heal), and Stealth Rock (illegal with Poison Heal).

Jolteon usually overlooked but is Lightning-fast and hits pretty hard with its special attacks. Doesn't have much of a useful movepool. Hidden Power Grass/Ice is an alternative to hit Ground-types while Thunder is usable under rainy conditions.

Gastrodon was outclassed by Swampert last generation. but it has received a gift from the heavens, Storm Drain not only absorbs Water attacks, but also raises Gastrodon's SpA by one stage, making it an acceptable offensive threat as well. With Toxic, Recover, and a useable offensive movepool, Gastrodon is arguably the best rain counter in existence. It counters Thundurus that lack Grass Knot, Rotom-W, Starmie, Tornadus... the list goes on and on.

Chansey despite Blissey having better stats and the same support movepool, with the new item Eviolite, has higher Defense and Special Defense than Blissey.

Venusaur combined with Ninetales's Drought its scary violent... Under the sun, Growth's boosts doubles to +2 for each attacking stat and Venusaur's Speed is doubled via Chlorophyll. Has some solid counters depending on the Hidden Power. Solid stats too.

The list goes on and on really, but i'm lazy.

Here is the problem:
We've discussed Gliscor so look around for him on the thread.
What is your point with Jolteon? What new did he get?
Chansey is alright, but then more Pokemon would have made the list because of the eviolite ans so I just left that out completely.
Venusaur is kind of Border Line ultimate improvement (Ha! Thats the tier he's in).

Soperman

The One and Only
Porygon 2 is a big one imo. It had nothing going for it until Eviolite came along, and turned it into a bulky troll-thing.
Speaking of which, Eviolite was a god-send to a lot of pokemon. Chansey also benefited from it, making it UU material now.

ParaChomp

be your own guru
Still no Cloyster?

Here is the problem:
Chansey is alright, but then more Pokemon would have made the list because of the eviolite ans so I just left that out completely.
Venusaur is kind of Border Line ultimate improvement (Ha! Thats the tier he's in).

lrn2playonsmugun

Jolteon got Volt Switch.

Still no Quagsire mentions? It went from very rarely seen Kyogre counter to the bane of HO teams everywhere. It also got Scald to burn all the things!!!!!!!

irock245

She wants it
lrn2playonsmugun

Jolteon got Volt Switch.

Still no Quagsire mentions? It went from very rarely seen Kyogre counter to the bane of HO teams everywhere. It also got Scald to burn all the things!!!!!!!

*insert all the things pic here*

Here is the problem:
I have to admit gliscor shouldn't be up there, but maybe a slight mention for the less improved pokemon. Poison heal allows him to function outside of sand much more efficently.

Since chansey is now better than blissey, it should be up there. Just because a pokemon didn't jump up a million tiers doesn't mean it does not deserve a mention. He was one of three most improved pre evo's this generation, the other two being (imo) dusclops and porygon2.

Seriously, dusclops should be up there. I used an underrated CM set on him, and it worked.

Takeo

Here is the problem:

lol **** dont you sound a bit conescending
Jolten didnt really get anything new, but with so many Ground and Dragon types running a round its always been something of a stable, like i said earlier, its seemly 'overlooked'
Chansey should be put on the list, went from UU to OU with just the revision of the tiers
Venusaur is great, and will wreak **** up lol

Porygon2 should be mentioned, with great defenses on both sides supported by the new Eviolite item, Porygon2 makes an incredibly sturdy Pokemon. Has a wide movepool, access to Recover, and a useful ability capable of bouncing back abilities such as Intimidate, Flash Fire, Magic Guard, Magic Bounce, and Water Absorb to name a few. Can also use Toxic and Magic Coat fairly well.

Nidoking despite overall low stats, it's a powerful offensive threat. Its mostly seen using its ability on the special side. Wide movepool gives it coverage. can also go physical but thats more of a surprise to use

Dusclops under used but incredibly sturdy. Only two weaknesses but costs of few resistances. Terrible offensive stats your doomed to use Seismic Toss or Night Shade. Can also use a Calm Mind + Ice Beam set to decent success. Torment is also a good option. It can run a crippling Curse set to threaten last-mon scenarios,...If you get a chance...

Soperman

The One and Only
Still no Cloyster?
Right, Shell Smash. I haven't seen a Cloyster like that in months.
While it did improve Cloyster dramatically, I guess it just isn't as popular anymore, especially with CS Terrakion so common. It can't set up with one of those around.

ROBO PIKA Tek 2

Kid with Pantz
Alright, then. I'll give a mention to Pokemon who can use the Eviolite well.

ROBO PIKA Tek 2

Kid with Pantz

Ninja Dog

Banned
+2 Cloyster outspeeds Scarf Terra, At least when I use it, I run EVs to make it outspeed Scarf Terra.

Enjyu

Made In China.
Politoed or ninetails definitely. They changed the metagame drastically. Dragonite got a new toy also...

ROBO PIKA Tek 2

Kid with Pantz
+2 Cloyster outspeeds Scarf Terra, At least when I use it, I run EVs to make it outspeed Scarf Terra.

I use 252 Spe Adamant Cloyster. He is at about 480 Speed after Shell Smash.

I also use 252 Spe Jolly Terrakion who would be at about 510 Speed.

But that's just me.

Also, this doesn't exactly matter, but I think "Terra" is reserved for Torterra. :)

I use 252 Spe Adamant Cloyster. He is at about 480 Speed after Shell Smash.

I also use 252 Spe Jolly Terrakion who would be at about 510 Speed.

But that's just me.

Also, this doesn't exactly matter, but I think "Terra" is reserved for Torterra. :)

I also use Naive 240 Speed Cloyster. He is at 520 Speed after a Shell Smash.

But that's just me.

Maybe instead of arguing over which Pokemon should be added to the OP, we could just talk about what improved, hmm? :)

Anyhow, here's a few Pokemon that I think have actually improved a lot that aren't in the OP, in alphabetical order.

Alakazam-Two words: Magic Guard. Now Alakazam can run around throwing out Life Orb-boosted attacks with no drawbacks, not to mention the immunity to all other forms of passive damage. That means that the Sub + 3 Attacks set is all the more deadly.

Cloyster-Shell Smash makes Cloyster easily one of the most threatening Pokemon in OU after just one turn. Not just that, but the power boost to Icicle Spear gives it a very powerful STAB move. It can even soak up a few physical attacks if it needs to, provided you're running White Herb.

Deoxys-D-Wait, it dropped from Ubers into BL, how did it improve? Well, honestly, who was using Deoxys-D in 4th Gen Ubers? The fact that it was allowed into standard for its trial run is a much needed improvement for it. Even though it hasn't quite made the OU usage cut yet, it is still a very valuable Pokemon for many OU teams, especially serving as a replacement for the previous favorite of HO teams, Deoxys-S.

Donphan-Well, it got an improved Sturdy, but the more important thing is that Drought happened. Donphan is one of the best spinners for Sun teams because of its unique assets (STAB Earthquake, Ice Shard, etc.) and the fact that the Sun doesn't actually hinder it like other spinners.

Dugtrio-Instantly trap an opposing weather starter and kill it off? Yes please. Dugtrio is one of the greatest new tools to win the weather wars with Arena Trap and its STAB Earthquake.

Gastrodon-The fact that Gastrodon has both an Electric and Water immunity, actually benefitting from Water attacks, makes it one of the best checks to Rain teams that there is. It also makes it a near-perfect wall to Pokemon like Rotom-W and Vaporeon.

Gengar-With the upgrade to Disable, Gengar got a whole new niche with SubDisable. Not a huge improvement, but there's also the fact that more Fighting types in OU makes the Ghost typing a bit more valuable.

Gliscor-Again, Poison Heal is a real blessing. Kinda went through that one earlier.

Heatran-How did Heatran improve? Well, think about it. It didn't really get its chance to shine last Gen until Salamence was banned and was no longer a threat, but even now it is one of the most used Pokemon there is. First of all, Drought in OU makes Heatran both an excellent abuser and check to Sun teams. In addition, the Air Balloon makes Heatran a much better answer to Pokemon like Gliscor, Landorus, and Salamence.

Infernape-Iron Fist makes Mach Punch a much better asset, and just wait until it becomes legal with Thunderpunch and Fire Punch. Not only that, but because of the way it functions, CB Infernape is now one of the most effective sets it has, when it was more of an afterthought last Gen.

Jolteon-Volt Switch is one of the best new toys that Jolteon can take advantage of. Not only that, but its speed is even more important in this metagame, allowing it to revenge kill fast threats like Landorus, Tornadus, Salamence, Terrakion, etc.

Lati@s-Like Deoxys-D, these two mainly improved because they were given another shot at OU. With the Soul Dew, they were still used in Ubers last Gen, so it's not like they weren't getting any love. Still, it's a whole lot better for their chances in standard OU when...you know, they're there.

Mew-Again, he has his chance in OU like some of the others, and he's proven to be a nice wallbreaker, Nasty Plot sweeper, whatever you need him to do really. He's Mew.

Nidoking-Oh yeah. Sheer Force. I'm really hoping that the no-Life-Orb-recoil-with-Sheer-Force thing isn't a glitch, because it'd suck if they "fixed" it in BW2. Anyways, running around with the fantastic coverage of Earth Power/Flamethrower/Thunderbolt/Ice Beam, a Life Orb boost, and no LO recoil is an amazing thing.

Quagsire-I don't know how this thing is still NU. It's easily one of the best answers to random setup sweepers in the game, and now it gets to throw around random burns with Scald. Come back from last Gen, where it was pretty much a niche counter to Kyorge and nothing else, it's quite an improvement.

Rotom-A-We all know that Rotom-W, with its great typing and Levitate, is one of the best OU contenders right now. In addition, the fact that the typing changes caused the Rotom-A forms to be different enough to split up between tiers means that each tier now gets to have their own Rotom-A fun, so they all sort of improved. But mostly Rotom-W. Because it's awesome. Hoorah.

Sableye-Prankster baby. Coming from the Pokemon who got Stall, which is...just awful, Prankster is a Godsend to Sableye. Priority Will-O-Wisp, Taunt, Substitute, and Recover is awesome, making Sableye one of the best stallbreakers and checks to random sweepers out there.

Sharpedo-Speed Boost with a base 120 Atk stat is great, especially with Rain boosts to Waterfall and Aqua Jet. STAB Crunch and coverage in Earthquake also help. Heck, you can even go mixed with a base 95 SpA and moves like Ice Beam and Hydro Pump. See, Sharpedo just couldn't take advantage of all that last Gen, but now he can.

Slowbro-Leftovers, Slack Off, Regenerator, this thing just doesn't want to die at all. It's easily one of the most effective physical tanks in the game, boosted by the burn chance from Scald. Coverage moves like Flamethrower to take care of random Grass types (looking at you, Ferrothorn) gives it an edge over other bulky Waters.

Tangrowth-Is there an echo in here? Leftovers, Leech Seed, Giga Drain, Regenerator...again, doesn't want to die. Tangrowth is even more physically bulky than Slowbro, with the ability to avoid a 2HKO by any of CB Terrakion's attacks. Its Grass typing also gives it a unique set of resistances that other Pokemon just can't boast, and it's deceptively strong on both ends of the spectrum as well.

Toxicroak-Okay, so Toxicroak didn't change much at all. What changed is that Drizzle dropped into OU. Now, between Leftovers and Dry Skin, Toxicroak is restoring nearly of a quarter of its health every turn in the rain. That also means that Toxicroak can run Life Orb and actually restore more health than it loses to the recoil, making it a great Rain sweeper.

Venusaur-Seriously, Chlorophyll is just a fantastic addition to Venusaur's arsenal. Now that its speed gets doubled in the Sun, it can wreak havoc with Growth-boosted attacks and a super-fast Sleep Powder. HP Fire also gets a pseudo-STAB in the Sun, making opposing Grass-types run to their mommy. And you could honestly throw all Chlorophyll sweepers from 4th Gen and earlier in there too, since having Drought in OU made most of them viable in the standard metagame.

Yep, so take from that what you will. :p

Dr.Chaos

stick in the mud
I'm surprised Charizard has not been mentioned yet. Even though, it is currently RU, it is a very powerful threat in OU. Solar Power lets it fire off extremely strong Fire Blasts in the Sun and the Choice Specs and even Scarf set is definitely not a joke and should not be taken lightly.

Takeo

I'm surprised Charizard has not been mentioned yet. Even though, it is currently RU, it is a very powerful threat in OU. Solar Power lets it fire off extremely strong Fire Blasts in the Sun and the Choice Specs and even Scarf set is definitely not a joke and should not be taken lightly.

Stealth Rocks says hello, with no good recovery move to save it

Enjyu

Made In China.
Stealth Rocks says hello, with no good recovery move to save it

It gets roost.

I forgot to mention blaziken/combusken. They are awesome. I use combusken in ou. It works and nobody expects it. The only real problem is gyrados. But after 2 sd's up, it can ohko defensive politoed with brick break.
Vaporeon is kinda an issue also...

Hippowdon too...dragonite...but that's when I switch.

Ansem1013

4768-7457-8661
perhaps you can divide the list in the op so that more pokemon can be mentioned? Some pokemon improved and deserve mention, but they didn't improve nearly as much as others have (for ex. the pokemon who gained from eviolite haven't really skyrocketed in use the way politoed or ninetales have)