• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Most needed changes

Leon Phelps

Don't Tread on Me
We all know that this show could be a lot better and has loads of untapped potential. What I want to know is what changes would improve the show? This isn't limited to the English dub for those who want to whine about the new voices.

The most needed change at the top of my list is BROCK. He hasn't done anything and there are no signs of him doing anything of importance so why is he still in the main cast?

Which brings me to my next point. This show needs a breath of fresh air. Seriously, most of the episodes follow a basic formula. Ash and friends come across someone with an unimportant problem that they just have to stop and fix. Said person with the problem has or knows of some hella random Pokemon that just has to be showcased. Then Team Rocket appears and later blast off. Ash and friends correct the problem and never see the filler person again.

What happened to the good ol' days when more then one Pokemon was showcased at a time, so that we wouldn't have any boring episodes centered around Quagsire and MAWILE. Ugh...

If you haven't noticed I saved a lot of other stuff for people who can word things better than I can.

Discuss.

Edit: Sorry Kojiro, I meant Igglybuff.

Last edited:

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
DP is giving me a good sense, the first titles are pretty interesting.

The D/P titles don't sound any different than the same stuff we've been watching for years.

But anyway, get rid of Brock. If for no other reason than to give the group a FRESH dynamic. Stop dragging the character down into the depths of hell anymore than he has to.

It's ironic that the longer they keep Brock, the less and less the fandom likes him.

Satoshi

リーリエの為に戦ってるトレーナー
More plot-driven episodes would be nice (with a little filler once in a while). I mean, I know the writers could make alot more episodes with character developement or have small (yet filling in lots of space and avoiding boring fillers) sideplots adapted from the small sideplots in the game, like an extended plot of the evil team that are in the games they are adapting from currently, taking up at least enough episodes so they could avoid the amount of pointless filler and giving something exciting to watch at the same time. It would also be nice if they varied the setting of the newer episodes (like in those old Kanto and Orange Islands episodes) into enviroments other than the Filler Forests Of Doom. And if the setting's in a town, then I want to see some uniqueness, dammit (that was what made the Game!Houen so great, in the anime they absolutely screwed up the beauty of the region, turning it into one big giant forest and ignoring some of the things taht made each town unique).

Also, how the writers intentionally ignore some the game mechanics that could be incoporated into the anime, such as type advantages. I mean, sure so-and-so's Pokemon may be stronger than the opponent's Pokemon experience-wise, but I've seen a few times where the Pokemon's move just doesn't effect the opponent's Pokemon, yet it blows out a giant dent into the opposing Pokemon. I also hated how they ignored and screwed up the real rules for the Battle Frontier and crammed each Brain battle into one or two small episodes (another opportunity to avoid crappy fillers). The writers also, sometimes, refuse to showcase any important characters in the anime like Anzu, Mikuri (which they could've put into the Groudon/Kyogre plot), and alot of the Elite Four.

May I also mention how the writers tend to make some of the characters in the group (*cough*Kenji*cough**cough*Kasumi*cough**cough*Takeshi*cough**cough*Masato*cough*) do absolutely nothing? If you're going to have characters be in the group, at least give them a role that helps the overall plot. If not, don't have extra characters at all, we could just have Satoshi and some other main character travelling together (which may, actually, be somewhat refreshing). I mean, take Takeshi for instance. So he's the cook of the group, keeping the others from starving. Well, the main character you play as in the games travels alone so the main character will bound to starve at some point without food. Actually, that would be quite entertaining as we can see the hardships trainers go through everyday from traveling without a personal chief in the anime. With Takeshi on the team, or any other character that counteracts any -cons in the group for that matter, it leads the said group to be very Gary-Mary sue esque.

It would be nice for the writers to make a straight-out adaption of the storyline in the games that they are currently adapting and actually use the protagonist that are supposed to be there, but I guess the anime will never do that (I'll leave it all up to the PokeSpecial manga for that).

Lastly, some [accurate] continuity would be nice...

More plot-driven episodes would be nice (with a little filler once in a while). I mean, I know the writers could make alot more episodes with character developement or have small (yet filling in lots of space and avoiding boring fillers) sideplots adapted from the small sideplots in the game, like an extended plot of the evil team that are in the games they are adapting from currently, taking up at least enough episodes so they could avoid the amount of pointless filler and giving something exciting to watch at the same time. It would also be nice if they varied the setting of the newer episodes (like in those old Kanto and Orange Islands episodes) into enviroments other than the Filler Forests Of Doom. And if the setting's in a town, then I want to see some uniqueness, dammit (that was what made the Game!Houen so great, in the anime they absolutely screwed up the beauty of the region, turning it into one big giant forest and ignoring some of the things taht made each town unique).

Also, how the writers intentionally ignore some the game mechanics that could be incoporated into the anime, such as type advantages. I mean, sure so-and-so's Pokemon may be stronger than the opponent's Pokemon experience-wise, but I've seen a few times where the Pokemon's move just doesn't effect the opponent's Pokemon, yet it blows out a giant dent into the opposing Pokemon. I also hated how they ignored and screwed up the real rules for the Battle Frontier and crammed each Brain battle into one or two small episodes (another opportunity to avoid crappy fillers). The writers also, sometimes, refuse to showcase any important characters in the anime like Anzu, Mikuri (which they could've put into the Groudon/Kyogre plot), and alot of the Elite Four.

May I also mention how the writers tend to make some of the characters in the group (*cough*Kenji*cough**cough*Kasumi*cough**cough*Takeshi*cough**cough*Masato*cough*) do absolutely nothing? If you're going to have characters be in the group, at least give them a role that helps the overall plot. If not, don't have extra characters at all, we could just have Satoshi and some other main character travelling together (which may, actually, be somewhat refreshing). I mean, take Takeshi for instance. So he's the cook of the group, keeping the others from starving. Well, the main character you play as in the games travels alone so the main character will bound to starve at some point without food. Actually, that would be quite entertaining as we can see the hardships trainers go through everyday from traveling without a personal chief in the anime. With Takeshi on the team, or any other character that counteracts any -cons in the group for that matter, it leads the said group to be very Gary-Mary sue esque.

It would be nice for the writers to make a straight-out adaption of the storyline in the games that they are currently adapting and actually use the protagonist that are supposed to be there, but I guess the anime will never do that (I'll leave it all up to the PokeSpecial manga for that).

Lastly, some [accurate] continuity would be nice...

Top to bottom I love this post.

Yamato-san

I own the 5th gen
With Takeshi on the team, or any other character that counteracts any -cons in the group for that matter, it leads the said group to be very Gary-Mary sue esque.

exactly. In fact, I sometimes use this quote of mine to point out how f***ed up it was for Takeshi to join the group in the first place.

I say this a lot, but there seems to have been no reason to have select two gym leaders end up as main characters, except that maybe the writers were lazy coming up with designs for party members. Besides, when you think about it, Takeshi joining up with Satoshi in the first place didn't make much sense (I'll give Kasumi the benefit of a doubt because she had her bike trashed, and in the anime continuity, she wasn't exactly a gym leader anyway, not until later on).

Munou: "Hey, random trainer that came into town, I mock you if you think you can take on Takeshi, even though he's a gym leader and loses to millions of trainers like you."

Satoshi: "I'll show you.... OH! NOES! I GOT PWNZORED!"

Munou: "Man, you took quite a beating.... I see potential in you. I'll help charge up your Pikachu."

Satoshi: "Yay! Now my Pikachu is all uber and stuff.... but not really.... but I set off the sprinklers that this seemingly incombustable building just happened to have anyway, so it doesn't matter. Now I'm gonna pwn Iwark.... but not really, because those sprinklers were cheap after all."

Takeshi: "I got my a** kicked by millions of trainers before you, and yet you just happen to be the one person in existance who showed me true sportsmanship. Here's your badge."

Satoshi: "Yay!"

Munou: "I am really his father, and I'm going to return to my responsibilities with the family. I didn't want to before, because I was just waiting for my son to admit defeat to you, random trainer #1907268 whom I just so happened to see more potential in."

Takeshi: "Good, now get to work you lazy s***! Wow, now I'm free.... I'm going to join up and travel with you, random trainer whom my father saw potential in. I'm going to pursue a career in Pokemon breeding, because it was the best excuse the writers could come up with for me, a former gym leader, to bother travelling with the likes of you, a rookie. And in the long run, if you're lucky, you won't even have to deal with my pursuit of this goal and I'll be little more than your personal cook and cheerleader."

Satoshi: "Yay! I got a cheerleader. In yo' face, Shigeru!"

Yeah, that's pretty much it in a nutshell.

red2000

Liger Zero!!!
One thing that really bothers me about Brock, where does he get his knowledge? Now some might know what I mean and others might not, Brock seems to know an awful lot about pokemon attacks, stategies, etc. EX. when Brock realized that Pikachu learns Volt Tackle or when he knows exactly what someone should do in battle, How the hell does he know? I mean Brock is about 15-17 he couldnt have been Gym leader that long and he couldnt have learned it on valincia island{his time with Prof. Ivy} so is Brock some kinda of secret genius? and if he is Why cant he win a freakin battle? someone explain

Korobooshi Kojiro

Funnnngaaaaa
Let's see...

* More mini-arcs, the first three of DP is one of these it seems.

* Seeing some of Ash's old ones a bit more (minus Kanto starters)

*A GTS episode (I want one!)

And, that's pretty much it. I'm happy with the show as it is.

One thing that really bothers me about Brock, where does he get his knowledge

THE ALMIGHTY MAP!

MugenKeiji

THERE'S NO $50 HERE!
Switch between character based episodes and Pokemon based episodes. Some Chronicles episodes are actually written better than the overall series and serve as a good example of what I mean.

A less token villain. The Rockets have used enough mecha and are in enough debt to p*** off Wile E. Coyote and Dr. Wily combined, most of them involve suction, resistance to electricity and nets. Some all together, some a little different (like the confuse gas on the Growlithe).

Again, like I said in Advance Generation, all mediums WRONGFULLY depict Aqua and Magma from their game counterparts. They're environmental extremists, and they've become power hungry cartoonish villains.

Now I admit, for all we know (seeing how a copy of Diamond/Pearl isn't in any of our hands as of the date this topical post is written) Team Galaxy could be in the same vein as Team Rocket (perhaps what became of some disbanded members, we dunno!). Whether or not OLM depicts them the "right" way, could we not have Red/Blue holdovers as villains and have some Galaxy villains for a change? To be fair, the only reason why the Rockets continued to be a threat in Johto is because the writers didn't want to go the path of the games (missing Ash, 3 year gap, disbanded Team Rocket) and then there's the thousands of Team Rocket fans too which I guess is important.

I know Pokemon's a children's series and really I have no place in saying this. But still, does anyone notice how less and less human the characters are since the 1st season? Still as long as the battles get better, I guess no one deserves to complain.

Poke Master 7

Boulder Trainer
My change would be to have Ash stop shafting his older Pokemon or at least supply them a chance to return *cougphjohtostarterscoufph*

also i'd have ash's Pikachu stop always hogging the spotlight of every gym battle its in. It really gets on my nerves and I was ready to kill it when it beat Milotic in not just Juan's Gym but also in the battle pike

finally not have Team Rocket put up the same old cliche act in every single episode. Its really worn thin on me

well those are the things i'd just love to change since they are the only things that get on my nerves about the show.

PsiWraith

Even Death May Die
I think they started off in the right direction but just kinda crapped out during Jhoto...

Can you imagine an Anime version of Pokemon Special?!?!?!

That would totaly be the best Anime EVER. And they wouldn't have to take 7 or 8 years to get it up to D/P cause they've got enough material to do a direct Manga to Anime adaption. As in NO filler material whatsoever...(imagine how much they could cover in an hour long show if they just out and out animated the manga exactly as it appears...O_O...)

Red

Not the color
I liked the AG it really saved the show adding may and contests and stuff, DP should be even better

Surskit&Beautifly

The most needed change at the top of my list is BROCK. He hasn't done anything and there are no signs of him doing anything of importance so why is he still in the main cast?
*Points at sig* I agree, his only lines are really just pointing out the obvious. I do find it funny though.

Although its pretty unlikely I would like to see Misty come back

I want to see gymbattles where ash uses pokemon he hasnt used in a while Kingler, Muk, Noctowl,etc.

I want some of Ashs pokemon to return (Pidgeot, ButterFree, PrimeApe, Lapras)

See more battles with some of Ashs best Pokemon like Charizard and Squirtle

Ashs Bayleef and Cyndaquil evolve

And May to compete in the Shinou Contests

I think they should get rid of that silly rule of there only being one girl on the cast at a time.

I second that. The show would be a breath of fresh air with two girls in a group. Oh yeah...and a breath of fresh air for the anime is having one of Ash's water pokemon evolve. I can't believe it takes about 10 years for one of Ash's main water pokemon to evolve. And even still, I don't know what pokemon Ash will catch in the new saga for a water type so I'm still wondering about if it's going to evolve.