• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Most Polarizing Character in Anime

Most Polarizing Character in Anime (from this list)

• Total voters

Draco Malfoy

-REaction
By polarizing character, I mean a character who doesn't necessarily create a lot of hate and love but rather creates a plethora of VASTLY diverging, alternative character interpretations. So not Naruto (some may love him, some may hate him, but most of us agree that he is a homoerotic airhead with hidden depths) but more among the lines of Shinji Ikari (a courageous Chaste Hero who genuinely cares about humanity but is too wracked with psychological trauma to do anything about it V.S. a selfish, closet-pervert who is apathetic and/or cowardly).

Actually, Shinji is not that great an example. Light Yagami or Flay Allster might be better examples. >.>;;

I've created a poll with the ones I can think of right now, but I probably forgot many of the ones you personally consider polarizing in their fandoms, creating broken bases.

Try to limit the bashing - we're trying to observe/note an interesting phenomenon of polarization, not butcher a character.

Eloi

Shinji is not a good example, but Gendo is. As is Asuka. And Rei. And almost every single character in Evangelion aside from Shinji.

Draco Malfoy

-REaction
With Gendo and Rei, most Evangelion fans I encounter agree with the former is a manipulative ******* (even with his Yui obsession) and the latter is the standard Emotionless Girl. Asuka is more polarising, I guess. I just put Shinji up there because he is the most visible character in Evangelion, and most people seem to have differing opinions on him.

You're right, though. Most of Evangelion's cast would demand an entry. XD

ironknight42

When I read this I though Code Geass, and what do you know I see Suzaku on there. Now with out blatant spoilers by the end Suzaku can either be called the hero of the world or an vengeful angsty japanese person who is punishing himself so yeah. Just as the story progresses though at some points you just want to say wow he's a complete *******. My point is the reactions change, to be fair though I only know half those characters. Hey are we going to start using TV Troupes terms such as Emotionless Girl?

Draco Malfoy

-REaction
When I read this I though Code Geass, and what do you know I see Suzaku on there. Now with out blatant spoilers by the end Suzaku can either be called the hero of the world or an vengeful angsty japanese person who is punishing himself so yeah. Just as the story progresses though at some points you just want to say wow he's a complete *******. My point is the reactions change, to be fair though I only know half those characters. Hey are we going to start using TV Troupes terms such as Emotionless Girl?

Emotionless girl sums up Rei very well. Even if the term doesn't refer to the trope, it would be the way many would describe her.

Be grateful you don't know who Sekai is and that you've never, EVER watched School Days...

Dattebayo

Banned
Sasuke without a doubt, he should've turned good again after hearing the truth about Itachi, but no, he decided to destroy the Hidden Leaf Village.

arceus7

Arcane Of The Wild
Am I the only one who can clearly see the ****ing guys mindset perfectly?

He was a ignorant little child, he walked into his house and he realizes that he brother who he idolized and envied had killed his family, his family who had just started focusing on him, his world collapses This same brother started telling him to focalize his hatread so he could kill his dying brother being non the wiser to the truth that would break him forever, so he spent many years of his life on wasted hatread to hone his strenght via hatred, after he finally suceeds he realizes that all was not as he believed, Madara told him the truth and he felt empty then he realized the flaw lies in the leaf village, having a new scapegoat for his hatread he realizes the leaf isn't his home anymore and just wants it gone so he can feel satisfaction for all he worked hard for and madara plans on using this. It isn't a matter of just hopping on different sides of scale, that is utterly fake, you don't change sides just because of a lack of knowledge
Sasuke isn't the same person as before he killed Itachi, Madara painted sasuke's canvas gray when he told him the truth about itachi

Angelique

transcending love~
Am I the only one who can clearly see the ****ing guys mindset perfectly?

He was a ignorant little child, he walked into his house and he realizes that he brother who he idolized and envied had killed his family, his family who had just started focusing on him, his world collapses This same brother started telling him to focalize his hatread so he could kill his dying brother being non the wiser to the truth that would break him forever, so he spent many years of his life on wasted hatread to hone his strenght via hatred, after he finally suceeds he realizes that all was not as he believed, Madara told him the truth and he felt empty then he realized the flaw lies in the leaf village, having a new scapegoat for his hatread he realizes the leaf isn't his home anymore and just wants it gone so he can feel satisfaction for all he worked hard for and madara plans on using this. It isn't a matter of just hopping on different sides of scale, that is utterly fake, you don't change sides just because of a lack of knowledge
Sasuke isn't the same person as before he killed Itachi, Madara painted sasuke's canvas gray when he told him the truth about itachi

"I stab-stab Karin!"

Anyway, the point of this thread, methinks, is not to argue why a character is so hated or to advance a particular character interpretation. We should focus, instead, on noting some characters who polarize and perhaps discuss why they produce such conflicting perspectives, not start a flame war~

I'm voting for Fllay Allstar (crazy wh*re versus poor princess). Anyone who is familiar with Gundam SEED should know why. Sasuke is an obvious vote, and Suzaku. I can already sense the Kallen fans girding their loins to toast the poor boy. XD

Vernikova

Champion
I chose Light since I sympathize with what he was trying to do by killing off all of the bad people in the world. I guess he just got a little too crazy for his own good and tried to kill off the police.

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
Sasuke without a doubt, he should've turned good again after hearing the truth about Itachi, but no, he decided to destroy the Hidden Leaf Village.

I think Sasuke had always been "good" though, at least before the conclusion of the Itachi fight. He left his village in pursuit of power, but at that point, he still wasn't totally submerged in darkness (as we saw during his fight with Naruto). I never considered him to be evil until recently, and I'm still not sure he's "unsavable" as most people would have you believe.

I chose Light since I sympathize with what he was trying to do by killing off all of the bad people in the world. I guess he just got a little too crazy for his own good and tried to kill off the police.

I've always wanted to document the exact moment Light started losing his mind, but I haven't had much luck. I did sympathize with his mission at first, but then he just sort of lost it all at some point and all he wanted to do was chase after those he thought were evil (basically, anyone who disagreed with him). I do feel sorry for him though.

Vernikova

Champion
The 4th KIRA said:
I've always wanted to document the exact moment Light started losing his mind, but I haven't had much luck. I did sympathize with his mission at first, but then he just sort of lost it all at some point and all he wanted to do was chase after those he thought were evil (basically, anyone who disagreed with him). I do feel sorry for him though.

From memory, I would place it when L asked Kira to kill him on television and he failed to do it. Now I have to go find out what the alternate ending is so I can found out how he was redeemed.

Eloi

I've always wanted to document the exact moment Light started losing his mind, but I haven't had much luck.
When L died, probablly. In other words: starting at 1:57 of this clip http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tX1_K-mUH94. He lost his intellectual opponent and his mind collapsed due to the hole. My theory, anyway.

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
When L died, probablly. In other words: starting at 1:57 of this clip http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tX1_K-mUH94. He lost his intellectual opponent and his mind collapsed due to the hole. My theory, anyway.

I guess that makes sense, seeing as how Light was left without someone to compete against for quite a few years. However, Light seemed to be slipping up a bit earlier, as Rebecca R. said. I think things started going downhill for Light the moment he met L since he started getting desperate and started making mistakes which L used to his advantage. Just my theory. I haven't watched the anime or read the manga in so long, so I'm a bit rusty. I still feel sorry for him though.

weirdamanda

What a drama llama.
I think things started going downhill for Light the moment he met L since he started getting desperate and started making mistakes which L used to his advantage. Just my theory. I haven't watched the anime or read the manga in so long, so I'm a bit rusty. I still feel sorry for him though.

I'd agree with you. It became more and more of a game, and less and less for his goal. Even if his goal itself was a bit...insane. Becoming the king of a new world created through death is a bit of a jump from cleaning the world of evil human beings, which he said he wanted to do in the beginning.