• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Tepig Pignite Emboar 969

No, the fire starters are the most popular.

Lol, just kidding, but I wish.

Have you seen Truegreen7's YouTube video on his starter Pokémon poll results? In the video, he shows and explains which of the starters and their evolutions from each generation are the most popular based on about 6,500 responses each. I don't think I can post the video here so check ot out on YouTube.

Pokefan_1987

Avid Pokemon TCG Card collector.
Aren't you mixing up Typhlosion's Hisuian regional variant with Primarina? The Alolan starters don't have regional forms, the only unique
thing they have a character exclusive Z-Crystals in that Ultra Sun and Moon have Z-Crystals along with these pokemon

Pikachu
Lycanroc
Mimikyu
Incineroar
Decidueye
Primarina
Snorlax
Necrozma

ValorSuga

Aren't you mixing up Typhlosion's Hisuian regional variant with Primarina? The Alolan starters don't have regional forms, the only unique
thing they have a character exclusive Z-Crystals in that Ultra Sun and Moon have Z-Crystals along with these pokemon

Pikachu
Lycanroc
Mimikyu
Incineroar
Decidueye
Primarina
Snorlax
Necrozma
This is based odd of popular starter pokemon per region, from Kanto to Hisui!

OshyHikari

c l a r i t y
Bulbasaur, Charmander, and Squirtle, and it's not even close.
We know as a whole trio, Kanto is the most popular, but this is explaining which starter is the most popular for its respective region/generation.

Incineroar I can definitely disagree with for Alola, as Decidueye gets far more better reception than the other two. Heck, even Rowlet is more popular than Decidueye itself, which is the likely contributing factor to why Ash’s Rowlet was given the Piplup treatment and never evolved. However, Japanese fans tend to favour Incineroar and Primarina rather than Decidueye.

Unova I feel is not as obvious lately. Serperior was the initial favourite of the trio, however I feel Samurott has caught up fast to it lately. Legends: Arceus I feel massively contributed to Samurott’s recent boost in popularity.

I don’t think Rillaboom is the favourite for Galar. I recall Cinderace being far more popular, especially among the furry fandom, fan artists and being Goh’s partner Pokémon in the anime. If a certain starter is prominent in the anime, expect that starter to outshine the other two. Inteleon however is more popular in Japan than in the US, where it’s more divisive.

Typhlosion being the possible favourite for Hisui I can see where you are coming from. When I see fanart of the Hisuian starters on Twitter, Typhlosion got twice as much fanart as the other two, particularly from Japanese fanart users.

Charizard, Sceptile, Infernape and Greninja can all definitely be agreed with.

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
I think that the Hoenn, Alola, and Galar all have starters that are very well liked and the popularity of each are so close to each other that it’s hard to say which is more popular. Kanto is almost the same except Charizard has a slightly larger fan base than Venusaur and Blastoise. The unpopular starters from what I can tell are Meganium (mostly because of how bad it is in any play through of the Johto games), Emboar (being the third Fire/Fighting starter in a row hurt it pretty badly), and Chesnaught who you see less than Delphox which is the one you’d think be the unpopular pick.

ValorSuga

We know as a whole trio, Kanto is the most popular, but this is explaining which starter is the most popular for its respective region/generation.

Incineroar I can definitely disagree with for Alola, as Decidueye gets far more better reception than the other two. Heck, even Rowlet is more popular than Decidueye itself, which is the likely contributing factor to why Ash’s Rowlet was given the Piplup treatment and never evolved. However, Japanese fans tend to favour Incineroar and Primarina rather than Decidueye.

Unova I feel is not as obvious lately. Serperior was the initial favourite of the trio, however I feel Samurott has caught up fast to it lately. Legends: Arceus I feel massively contributed to Samurott’s recent boost in popularity.

I don’t think Rillaboom is the favourite for Galar. I recall Cinderace being far more popular, especially among the furry fandom, fan artists and being Goh’s partner Pokémon in the anime. If a certain starter is prominent in the anime, expect that starter to outshine the other two. Inteleon however is more popular in Japan than in the US, where it’s more divisive.

Typhlosion being the possible favourite for Hisui I can see where you are coming from. When I see fanart of the Hisuian starters on Twitter, Typhlosion got twice as much fanart as the other two, particularly from Japanese fanart users.

Charizard, Sceptile, Infernape and Greninja can all definitely be agreed with.
“Cinder is popular because of Goh having one”

Meanwhile Cinderace in the anime is overshadowed by Grookey, making Rillaboom a more popular choice!

OshyHikari

c l a r i t y

Meanwhile Cinderace in the anime is overshadowed by Grookey, making Rillaboom a more popular choice!
I still disagree with Rillaboom. Grookey may be Goh’s current “mascot”, but Cinderace has a very powerful ability that is basically identical to Greninja’s. I also tend to see Cinderace top “favourite Galar starter” polls. Rillaboom also has use as a Grassy Terrain setter, but it’s clearly not represented much in the marketing for most media compared to Cinderace.

ValorSuga

I still disagree with Rillaboom. Grookey may be Goh’s current “mascot”, but Cinderace has a very powerful ability that is basically identical to Greninja’s. I also tend to see Cinderace top “favourite Galar starter” polls. Rillaboom also has use as a Grassy Terrain setter, but it’s clearly not represented much in the marketing for most media compared to Cinderace.
It onlys wins polls due to bots and sockpuppet accounts rigging the votes!

And Cinderace isn’t marketed that much IIRC!

ValorSuga

Also once the new Smash Bros game comes out, Rillaboom will definitely be marketed more than Cinderace!

OshyHikari

c l a r i t y
Also once the new Smash Bros game comes out, Rillaboom will definitely be marketed more than Cinderace!
Rillaboom wouldn’t really be practical as a Smash fighter because of its drum that it always has to carry.

Just because Rillaboom is your favourite doesn’t mean it’s the favourite of the fandom and Pokémon marketing team as a whole. This thread is meant to be about what the perceived most popular starter of each generation is, not the one that is your favourite.

Mythical-Moonlight

I just ran, I ran all Night and Day ~
These are my guesses for the most popular starters for each region!

Did I get any wrong?

Link for the image that features the starters: https://flic.kr/p/2ncaKpn
These are mostly correct EXCEPT for Gen 7 and Gen 8.

Primarina was the most popular Alola Starter in Japan and Decidueye blew Incineroar out of the water everywhere else

Inteleon was the most popular Galar Starter in Japan.
Cinderace is the most popular everywhere else.

This means absolutely nothing considering that a good amount of people find Goh's Grookey to be annoying

Also Rillaboom has nothing to do with whatever popularity Grookey has.

If Rillaboom was the most popular, Goh's Grookey would've evolved by now.

If anything, the longer Grookey stays in it's Base Form, the it actually discourages people from wanting to evolve it

Just look at what happened with Piplup

Last edited:

OshyHikari

c l a r i t y
This means absolutely nothing considering that a good amount of people find Goh's Grookey to be annoying

Also Rillaboom has nothing to do with whatever popularity Grookey has.

If Rillaboom was the most popular, Grookey's would've evolved by now.

If anything, the longer Grookey stays in it's Base Form, the it actually discourages people from wanting to evolve it

Just look at what happened with Piplup
I actually am getting closer to believing Goh’s Grookey won’t evolve, to be forever doomed into the “comic relief Pikachu-like walking Pokémon” role. It also didn’t help that I often saw Ash’s Rowlet as a second Piplup, being both bird-based and being unable to evolve due to possessing an Everstone. It’s why I’ve despised forcing an Everstone onto a Pokémon in the anime.