• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Most shiny pokemon look dumb.

Sandmann XIII

Does anyone disagree on this? Seriously, just look at 95% of them. They are mostly green or gold and in some cases, both. Now don't get me wrong, the few that are re colored look epic, but to get my point across, look at this:
http://i43.*******.com/21jydzm.jpg

Now, would something like this be too much to ask for?
http://i41.*******.com/20774gn.jpg

(I know the white makes it a little hard to see, but I think it gets my point across)

Tag3r

i wantz beef!
ya i tottaly agree

finnugold

Agreed. Some of the shinys make me wonder if the person who thought them up was colorblind. And shiny pokemon that are so subtly shiny you can't even tell are pointless, IMO.

pokemonmasterhustler

Pokemon Master
Yea another example would be Magmotar. It looks worse as a shiny. Shinies are hard enough to get as it is, the least that could be done is making them all look epic.

Celebii21

In addition to looking strange,shinys are SO hard to get that its not really worth it.

Forever&Always

DanceInTheDark
I like most of them. Some of the originals look better, for example- Squirtle, hardly a difference. Just a few different changes. The shell, the color etc. I agree Charizard looks amazing. Garchomp's shiny makes no sense that was a waste.

Chibi_Muffin

Smart Cookie
Personally, I disagree wth you, and not just because I'm a shiny hunter.

Firstly, by seeing your 'epic' Charizard, Rayquaza and Scyther, it seems to me that you want most shiny Pokemon to be black. So greens, golds and pinks should become the more 'epic' blacks and reds? That doesn't seem right to me.

To tell you the truth, the white Mismagius hurts my eyes. It's too bright. While I feel that some shiny differences are too subtle, some are fine the way they are and I feel that they don't need to be changed.

Sandmann XIII

I made a comment about the Mismagius. (I did however recolored one a while back in a similar way that looked better and didn't require your eyes to be strained. That one is just an example)

I do see where you get that I would like most shiny pokes to be red and black (you wouldn't be completely incorrect). However I never stated nor implied that they would become more "epic". I just used my own personal tastes as an example. Right now, I would just like for game freak to think out side of the box for a second and move away from the all to common green and gold. Its just dumb. Its even more dumb to have a pokemon that is just a shade darker or lighter.

Right now there are only a handful of shiny pokemon that I like. Here are a few that aren't black or red:
Ghastly
Haunter
Ponyta
Rapidash
Gliscor
Tyranitar

I would seriously hunt for those pokemon b/c they aren't like most of the others. And seriously man, what is the point of having a trophy if the other ones look the same?

Last edited:

BeatsTehShiz

I <3 Silver
Agreed. Some of the shinys make me wonder if the person who thought them up was colorblind. And shiny pokemon that are so subtly shiny you can't even tell are pointless, IMO.

76.png

145.png

Thanks for the effort.

In my opinion, most shinies look pretty cool. Some though, like Dragonite and Golbat, are just kinda ugly looking.

murkrowrob

Yamask Hugger x_x
another epic shiny is milotic....

ye, most shinys look crap though. Gengar I can't even tell the difference, same with Garchomp

MetalMario

< It's Passion Pink!
More than half of them are to my liking.

Also IMO, both of your recolours look worse than the genuine shinies. Gold Mismagius is pretty cool, but that white thing of yours looks like it was made by a 4-year-old. The shading is all wrong.

While Scyther could use to look more different, that drab grey and vibrant aquamarine wings don't suit it at all. Maybe a red/orange body, leaving its wings unchanged.

finnugold

Shiny treeko/groovyl/sceptile are pretty neat.
Normal ones look like they belong in a tropical forest, whereas shiny ones look like they belong in a boreal forest.

scyther_girl

I see what you mean. I believe that no one actually sits down and re-colors every pokemon into shiny, but it's some sort of program, that switches the colors rather randomly. There must be SOME rules to this, or we'd get this:
6%20-%20random%20shiny.png

The basic rule is probably just to add a bit of yellow to get "shiny" colors.
The result is sometimes good, sometimes worse.

Last edited:

Sandmann XIII

Like I said before. Long ago I was able to recolor Mismagius using similar colors (some taken from Arceus) and it looked alright. My black Scyther was colored that way b/c it is commonly compared to a ninja.

bulbasaur14

Bulbasaur line ftw
that scyther is awsome

Noctourniquet

∆∆∆
Guys, just delete your Double Posts, it's not that hard...

I don't think Shinies were ever intended to look better, I just think they were in there for the novelty really.

Gentleman

Sitting on Horsea
Let's face it. It's impossible to please everybody, especially in something like color choice. Sure, coloring it black with some red or what-have-you works pretty well most of the time... but then you get into the people who'd complain about lack of variety. In fact that already seems to be popping up.

Do I think some shinies could look better? Yeah, sure. Have no clue how they would be made better, though. Do I think they could all look "epic"? Not a chance. I honestly don't care that much about what a shiny looks like unless it's something tremendously dorky. Simply being a shiny pretty much seals it as valuable in some way or other.

So... yeah, I guess some work could be done to fix some of the really obviously bad one (I'm looking at you, Magmortar), but overall there's not much of a problem.

Green, blue, orange, and yellow seem to be the most common colors, generally. I think scyther_girl's got something with the idea of shinies just being semi-automated/randomized recolorations. They're unusual enough in regards to regular colors that you can get away with reusing them over and over as shiny colorings.

Kindrindra

大事なのは自分らしいくある事
Shinies are the albinos of pokemon.
Now, how good albinos look is up to the person answering the question. SAME GOES WITH SHINIES. [/CAPSRAGE]