• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Most Skilled Battler V3

Which of these trainers is the most skilled?

• Total voters

Genaller

Silver Soul
So a while ago PBF made polls regarding which (non-GL/FB/E4/RC) onscreen trainer is the most skilled. The first one was pretty much turning into another DP Ash vs XY Ash poll, so he made a 2nd 1 excluding any variant of Ash where Paul (rightfully) won by an landslide. I think it would be interesting to discuss which (non-GL/FB/E4/RC) trainer barring some variant of Ash or Paul should be considered the most skilled trainer in the anime.

In case you think this trainer isn’t 1 of those mentioned (e.g. Jackson, Clark, Barry, Trip, Virgil etc...) then please vote “Other”.

Personally I’m going with Sawyer (though I can also see good arguments being made for some of the other trainers). The guy gets a lot of flak for progressing so quickly though regardless it’s undeniable that he’s a skilled trainer. Here’s an outline of Sawyer’s skill feats in case anyone isn’t aware of them:

- (XYZ 13) Assessing Greninja to be more comfortable in close range battling, and so puts him out of his comfort zone by having Sceptile utilize more long range attacks (this was the reason why Sceptile had the upper hand against Greninja in XYZ 13 )

- (XYZ 26) Using Clawitzer’s Mega Launcher ability for both offense (Dragon Pulse) and recovery (Heal Pulse)

- (XYZ 33) Properly utilized a technical Pokémon like Aegeslash (Swords Dance + King’s Shield)

- (XYZ 33) Attract

- (XYZ 33) Timing Sceptile’s Mega Evolution to occur just as Raichu was about to strike with Thunder in order to capatilize on the boost granted by Lightningrod.

- (XYZ 34) Factoring in Hawlucha’s battle style concerning getting stronger (due to getting more pumped) by being able to tank foe attacks when selecting Slaking as a Lucha’s counter

- (XYZ 34) Reliable recovery in Slack Off

- (XYZ 34) Turning Hawlucha’s strength agaisnt him with Counter (now here’s the interesting part; based on Serena’s statement and I paraphrase “is he going to drag out the match again, so that he can end it with a OHK Counter” when referring to Talonflame vs Slaking, it seems as though Slaking’s Counter works like a meter where it absorbs all the damage Slaking took until then (including the damage it recovered) and dishes out twice the force of it in one go after which the meter resets, so in that sense it doesn’t work like a standard Counter (which is fine since the same move on different Pokémon has shown to work differently (e.g. Gogoat’s Leech Seed being temporary and immobilizing the opponent in vs Ramos, Stealth Rock in the Olivia GT, Noivern’s Supersonic not causing confusion and instead is portrayed as a mid lvl sound wave attack etc..)) but rather more like Bide with the only difference being that Bide is fired in a beam whilst Slaking’s Counter is fired in a punch

- (XYZ 34) Aqua Jet tracking for faster chasing

- (XYZ 34) Halting Talonflame’s momentum with Ice Beam

- (XYZ 34) Cutting down the forest because A) the forest was allowing Pikachu to move and evade more efficiently, and B) the scattered logs made the ground uneven making it more difficult for Pikachu to regain his footing when he falls from the sky

- (XYZ 35) Having Salamence tactically fire Incinerates at Noivern in order to lure him close enough to it for an easy clean hit with Dragon Tail

- (XYZ 35) Using Protect as a countermeasure for Echolocation

- (XYZ 35) Using Slurpuff’s nose to determine Goodra’s location in the smoke and hence launch a surprise attack

- (XYZ 35) His (Mega) Sceptile can freely control the trajectory of its Frenzy Plant to a very high degree with the added benefit of this Frenzy Plant not having any recharge time.

Last edited:

PokemonBattleFanatic-

Hardcore Paul Fan
It's between Katie and Conway since they both heavily use status moves but I'll give a slight edge to Katie due to her clever switching to gain type advantages.Another note could be that Conway would be inclined to switching if he were using a full team in battle but he never did so in his 3 v 3 battle with Ash.

What I'd say he might have over Katie is critical thinking and planning ahead,like when he saw what pokemon Ash was working with before their league match,but overall I don't think there's a right or wrong answer when it comes between these two.

mehmeh1

Not thinking twice!
Alain is the most powerful, but he's not really that skilled for the most part. Sawyer is pretty skilled, but I'll probably give it to conway, who had more strategy and used status moves. Also, what's GL? Gym leader?

Genaller

Silver Soul
Alain is the most powerful, but he's not really that skilled for the most part. Sawyer is pretty skilled, but I'll probably give it to conway, who had more strategy and used status moves. Also, what's GL? Gym leader?
I’m curious; since you think Conway showed “more strategy” than Sawyer, could you please give me a list of all of Conway’s skill feats?

mehmeh1

Not thinking twice!
I’m curious; since you think Conway showed “more strategy” than Sawyer, could you please give me a list of all of Conway’s skill feats?
to be fair, I was mostly referring to the trick room thing he had going against ash, which was a more long-term plan than most of sawyer's (letting him get cocky with donphan and noctowl and then using TR to take them out, only losing because gible was being gible, though in retrospect, he should've used dusknoir and then switched into shuckle), though I didn't really notice how many feats sawyer had until you wrote them (only read the OP fully after I posted)

Genaller

Silver Soul
to be fair, I was mostly referring to the trick room thing he had going against ash, which was a more long-term plan than most of sawyer's (letting him get cocky with donphan and noctowl and then using TR to take them out, only losing because gible was being gible, though in retrospect, he should've used dusknoir and then switched into shuckle), though I didn't really notice how many feats sawyer had until you wrote them (only read the OP fully after I posted)
Ah okay; that’s fair :). Yeah TR was pretty awesome and from a pure skill standpoint Conway did outplay Ash in their match since Ash never actually countered Trick Room but lucked out thanks to Gible’s... assets. I still think Sawyerhas more skill overall though I can respect you putting Conway over him.

Genaller

Silver Soul
Since Katie’s currently in the lead, here’s an outline of all of her notable strategic plays:

- Has Venomoth use Disable to get rid of Torkoal Iron Defense thus making it easier to damage for her next Pokémon. As a side note Venomoth has a very utility based set with moves like Stun Spore and Supersonic in addition to Disable.

- Switches out Venomoth for Golduck who is a far better matchup for Torkoal

- Switches out Golduck for Dugtrio who is a far better matchup for Pikachu

- Has Dugtrio lure Pikachu into using a close range move, so that it can then trap Pikachu with Sand Tomb

- Uses Misdreveous as a Destiny Bond sacrifice in order to eliminate Ash’s Glalie (who looked impressive against Clark and also against Katie’s Dugtrio where it was able to create tremors by Headbutting the ground)

- Has Scizor know Double Team (this 1 is just standard evasion though it still counts)

- Has Walrein use the water in the waterfield for evading attacks

I’ll admit that Katie is a pretty skilled trainer though in all honesty her feats aren’t as good as Sawyer’s (even if we just restrict Sawyer’s feats to only those that happened in his battle with Ash). Also Katie isn’t very adaptable; she visibly looses composure when something unexpected happens like Corphish still attacking while confused or Grovyle’s Leaf Blading the waterfield + attack feints (fyi a feint is when someone pretends like they’re going to do something only for them to suddenly not do it).

PokemonBattleFanatic-

Hardcore Paul Fan
1.Katie
2.Conway
3.Sawyer
4.Trip (Poor man's Paul)
5.Nando
6.Tobias
7.Alain
8.Tyson
9.Virgil
10.Harrison