• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Most Useful Pokemon?

WHY HAS NO ONE SAID VENASAUR??? It is definetly the best starter!! Im serious, i defeated the whole league with the national dex five times without healing!!! yes including the champion!!
Charizard is way overused in FRLG. Say this if you agree with me in every post that you post here.

mattman324

aka Shiny_Feraligatr
Because Venusaur just isn't as useful ingame as Blastoise. I went through the whole GAME without healing with Blastoise.

And, infact, just about every fully evolved pokemon can get through without healing. So I don't see your point.

Out of the starters, Blastoise is top, then probubly Charizard, then Venusaur (For the first elite four, it's only attacking options are Grass, Normal, and Ground)

Ash-kid

Ash-kid
I think Dragonite and his move- Dragon claw is very useful.

It's a powerfull move and this is a great combination.

KGB13

Man of Mystery
Blastoise is most definitely the most useful. It can take on most of the Gyms and League with little to no effort.

Aladar

Dark lord of Sith
The first time I played FRLG, Butterfree proved very useful- I still used it nearly every time. The moveset I usually use is:

Sleep Powder (for when I want to catch something or want to put my opponent to sleep so I can switch)
Gust/Aerial Ace/Silver Wind
Two Psi attacks.

Ash-kid

Ash-kid
Except his Return is as powerful as his (weak special) Dragon claw.

Dragonite has more useful moves (ThunderBolt, Ice Beam) so Dragon Claw is only one move. if you are learning it the right moves it is the most useful pokemon.

mattman324

aka Shiny_Feraligatr
I know that. If you notice, I put up a post earlier that says the best moveset.

OK. I just used Dragonite, and I have to ask: What the heck do you think you're doing? He has a 134 base attack, and a base 100 special attack... which, while it is good, really is outdone by Attack. This is the moveset I used, and while it MIGHT not be the best, it certainly is up there.

Return (It is his most powerful option. Much more powerful than special Outrage).
Wing Attack (PP, and the STAB helps sometimes. Weaker than Return.)
Brick Break (Better than EQ ingame, as it hits the Elite Four more powerfully).
Fire Blast (No use for a Dragon move other than Lance, but this kills Steelix.)

I GUESS you could use Flamethrower or Ice Beam in the fourth slot, but the first three should be standard.

(Oh, by the way, STABd Super Effective Dragon Claw hits Lances Dragonites about as well as a full powered Return.)

Eurynome

Owaihellothar.
TBQH, I find Nidoking extremely useful. I use him every time.

poke'master

I'm not sure if it's been said but i'll throw Eevee in there. You can evolve eevee into what ever you need to balance out your team. Plus Leafeon is cleaning up on my Platinum :)

mattman324

aka Shiny_Feraligatr
I'm not sure if it's been said but i'll throw Eevee in there. You can evolve eevee into what ever you need to balance out your team. Plus Leafeon is cleaning up on my Platinum :)

Platinum =/= Firered.

There are 3 possible Eeveelutions in the game, and only ONE (Vaporeon) gets a good secondary attack. Also, you get them all late.

jhammers2

Charizard is just... awesome. Lapras is pretty good too if u want water and ice in one.

mattman324

aka Shiny_Feraligatr
I think Mr. Mime is one of the best Pokemon out there. His attack and Sp. Attack stats are really high!

Mr. Mime's Base Attack: 45. (The average is around 85-90)

High? No, no, no. The Psychic hiarchy looks like this.

ABRA/KADABRA/ALAKAZAM: Hits hard, fast, has a bad movepool though (STABd Psychic is more powerful than SE Shock Wave)

DROWZEE/HYPNO - MR. MIME: Hypno is reliable, Mr. Mime has a pro (Good movepool) and a con (Must get abra, then trade it for him), but they are about the same.

STARYU/STARMIE: Great movepools, hits hard and fast. Exclusive to LG.

JYNX: Gets EXP faster and is fast, and has good movepool.

EXEGGCUTE/EXEGGUTOR: DECENT movepool, can take a hit and dish some out.

SLOWPOKE/SLOWBRO: Slow, have a good movepool, can take hits, not as powerful though. Same type as Starmie. Exclusive to LG.

Obviously post Elite Four stuff (Xatu, Mewtwo, Wobbafet) is worse.

mudkip no.1 fan

the water master
mine is blastoise because it is a tank and can learn ice beam

mattman324

aka Shiny_Feraligatr
I think Mr. Mime is one of the best Pokemon out there. His attack and Sp. Attack stats are really high!

Mr. Mime's Base Attack: 45. (The average is around 85-90)

High? No, no, no. The Psychic hiarchy looks like this.

ABRA/KADABRA/ALAKAZAM: Hits hard, fast, has a bad movepool though (STABd Psychic is more powerful than SE Shock Wave)

DROWZEE/HYPNO - MR. MIME: Hypno is reliable, Mr. Mime has a pro (Good movepool) and a con (Must get abra, then trade it for him), but they are about the same.

STARYU/STARMIE: Great movepools, hits hard and fast. Exclusive to LG.

JYNX: Gets EXP faster and is fast, and has good movepool.

EXEGGCUTE/EXEGGUTOR: DECENT movepool, can take a hit and dish some out.

SLOWPOKE/SLOWBRO: Slow, have a good movepool, can take hits, not as powerful though. Same type as Starmie. Exclusive to LG.

Obviously post Elite Four stuff (Xatu, Mewtwo, Wobbafet) is worse.

mudkip no.1 fan

the water master
mine is blastoise because it is a tank and can learn ice beam

DaAuraWolf

I’m Back...
I would have to say Mewtwo.It`s one of the toughest Pokemon in the game.