• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Most Well-Written Gym Leaders of the Anime?

ash&charizardfan

Humans are tools
Well there are few more i would like to add gardenia and clair are also well written gym leaders, sinnoh and kalos had the best written gym leaders of all.

UltimateNinja

Praying for the holy relics
The only gym leader I can think off that are decently written are Maylene, Korrina and to a lesser extent Clemont. Also Volkner, Wattson, Prycen and Roark to have at least some conflict going on at some point.

Xuxuba

Excluding companions, i think Korrina, cuz she actually had development and an entire arc dedicated to her.

Sabrina's backstory was also well written in my opinion. Just wish her battle against Ash hadn't been so anticlimatic, but it was to be expected, since it was the OS.

Last edited:

Barry Hernandez

Korrina, a great battler and has a Lucario.

Kintaro

Banned
It's ironic Maylene and Korrina only got as much showcasing as they did because both have a Lucario in the games, and whenever a character has Lucario they promote the character down our throats. Even more ironic is they're both the third Gym leader of their respective regions and fighting type Gym leaders too.

Kintaro

Banned
Meh, that's not saying much honestly.

The battles were all a highlight. The first episode had a great Pikachu Vs. Lucario fight, where Lucario used it's bone like a golf club. Second ep had a fantastic Blaziken Vs. Lucario fight in the cave. Then Mega Lucario going crazy in the middle ep was good. Lastly the Gym battle was pretty great. The last two eps were kinda boring when Korrina was trying to get Lucario under control, but those two eps didn't have any battles in them anyway besides TR stuff.

Leonhart

Imagineer
I'd have to say Corni even though I didn't like her personally. She was developed extremely well though, and her Gym match against Satoshi was among the best Gym battles I'd seen since the DP saga.

Kintaro

Banned
Claire also got a lot of focus in the show. She got a 5-part arc in Johto, which back then, was unthinkable for a Gym leader to have and was the first time she got. Then she came back for BW and appeared in Iris' special.

MockingJ

Banned
Who is "Claire"? Even though I don't normally focus on GL's, I liked Roark's development when he was fighting with his dad and how that led to him realizing that his dad really loved him deep down.

Dragalge

"Orange" Magical Girl
Maylene was done right.

Korrina was annoying and tried to shoehorn the Mega Evolution aspect while forgetting about her mon's nature. (Getting lost in a cave and her ace not using aura to locate her was stupid.)
Not to mention how weird it was for her to struggle with Mega Evolution and then a random Nurse Joy who had issues with her Audino managed to use ME in one episode just fine, making that five episode arc feel kinda...off. I found myself to care more for Maylene too!

Plus, the Korrina gym battle is the worst one in Kalos due to just being a bunch of exchange of attacks without any strategy whatsoever (even when the dancing failed!) along with Mienfoo and Machoke being jobbers. I know people crap on Grant's battle for Fletchling jobbing but at least Ash used some strategy with Froakie and Pikachu.

Last edited:

Kintaro

Banned
Korrina's Gym battle was great. I don't know where people got the idea it had no strategy. Even the weakest XY Gyms are still better than all the previous Gyms of the series bar the better DP ones.

Besides that, I don't see what other pokemon Mega evolving easily has anything to do with Korrina's Lucario. All Pokemon are different, same reason Ash's Charizard and Dawn's Mamoswine disobeyed them at first, that doesn't mean every persons Charizard or Mamoswine in the anime universe disobey them. Every pokemon is unique and has their own struggles, and it was great to see an arc over it.

Last edited:

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
Besides that, I don't see what other pokemon Mega evolving easily has anything to do with Korrina's Lucario. All Pokemon are different, same reason Ash's Charizard and Dawn's Mamoswine disobeyed them at first, that doesn't mean every persons Charizard or Mamoswine in the anime universe disobey them. Every pokemon is unique and has their own struggles, and it was great to see an arc over it.
Korrina and her jackal are best buds, yet they suffered hurdles to master Mega Evolution; a mechanic that the anime likes to emphasize as a close bond thing. Apparently theirs was just not strong enough, despite the fact she's supposed to be a professional trainer (really, I feel like we should have known for how long she's been a Gym Leader to be a mess about her family's tradition).

The Nurse Joy and her Audino pretty much disliked each other, yet their rocky friendship was no problems for them to use Mega Evolution their very first time.

Personality issues are well and good, but having a tight bond utterly screwed through evolution versus a screwed bond being magically fixed through evolution (at least while still in ME mode) is just weird.

Kintaro

Banned
It still has to do with individual pokemon and their reactions to Mega evolution. The Korrina arc could have been condensed to a 3-parter, but there was no problem with Mega Lucario going beserk. It made for some fantastic scenes.