• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Move failed mechanic?

misingnoglic

Ever since I was like 7, I never understood this game mechanic, and after playing stadium, I decided to finally ask. Sometimes, when you are using moves such as hypnosis, it will say "but the move failed," even though it is effective against the type you are against. What causes this?

MetalFlygon08

Haters Gonna Hate
There are different miss phrases for moves.

Stat Modifiers (AKA TAIL WHIP etc...) will say "Nothing Happened" when maxed out.
Attacks that deal damage usually say Missed (In later Generations, moves that hit both targets will be "Avoided" instead of missed)
Status Inflicting moves should say Failed when they miss.

hellfighter

In stadium, if you use an electric attack againts a ground, it says that it missed instead of the pokemon being unaffected. also in both Stadium and the R/B/Y games, attacks that cause poision will not poision any poision type pokemon.

Dragonair2400

Your average trainer
That used to confuse me too. Whenever it would say 'It didn't affect enemy ...' I would wonder why it worked before and not now. It's really just the move missing. Sometimes, though, when you try to, say, poison a sleeping pokemon, then it will tell you it failed because you can't have multiple status problems at once.